Dean Brody Wins CCMA Album of the Year Award; Stream New Patterson Hood, Black Prairie Albums; New Music Videos
- Rollin “Oscar” Sullivan of Opry duo Lonzo & Oscar passed away at the age of 93.
- Debbie Piece, daughter of Webb Pierce and member of the group Chantilly, passed away on September 5 at the age of 58.
- Listen to NPR’s Americana mix, then tune in for the NPR/Folk Alley webcast of the Americana Honors and Awards on September 12.
- CMT’s Craig Shelburne writes about the new Patsy Cline exhibit at the Hall of Fame.
- Just what is Americana? Nashville’s City Paper attempts to answer that question with a Venn diagram.
- An excerpt from Peter Cooper’s article on Americana artists: While a major country performer seeks to thrill tens of thousands of fans at a time, many Americana performers seek to make a living charming tens of tens at a time, on a good night. For the most part, Americana performers seek a high artistry, low overhead equation. “I’ll tell you my dream,” Nashville songwriter and Americana vet Phil Lee often says. “Making $500 on a Tuesday night.”
- At Friday’s Stand Up to Cancer telethon, Taylor Swift debuted “Ronan,” a song written with the mother of Ronan Thompson, a young boy who lost his battle with neuroblastoma in 2011.
- Cara Luft got into a bit of trouble at the U.S.-Canada border when pot (that belonged to a “big-wig in the folk scene”) was found in her car. Luckily, she got a song out of it.
- In other booze news, Jagermeister is sponsoring David Nail’s fall tour.
- The Tennessean has video of Keith Urban’s recent talk with Nashville-area high school students at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum.
- Cindy Watts chatted with Little Big Town about the group’s new record and touring with their kids.
Trampled By Turtles – “Walt Whitman” (for CMT’s Concrete Country)
The Vespers – “Lawdy”
The Unsinkable Boxer – “When I Write the Book”
Rodney Crowell – “Hungry for Home”
Toby Keith – “I Like Girls That Drink Beer”
Mumford and Sons – “I Will Wait”
Gretchen Peters – “To Say Goodbye” (live)
Matraca Berg – “Strawberry Wine” (live)
Suzy Bogguss – “Wildwood Flower” (live)