David Allan Coe Hospitalized Following Car Crash; Jason Molina Passes Away; Album Releases
- David Allan Coe ran a red light in Ocala, Florida, and was T-boned by a semi early this morning. Coe and the two people in the truck have been hospitalized with “non-life-threatening conditions.”
- On Saturday in Chicago, the Museum of Broadcast Communications will pay tribute to the WLS National Barn Dance.
- Michelle Shocked went on an anti-gay rant at a San Francisco show, which she ended by saying “You can go on Twitter and say ‘Michelle Shocked says ‘God hates fags.’”
- Anais Mitchell and Jefferson Hamer’s new album, Child Ballads, can be streamed on USA Today’s site.
- Texas State Rep. Doug Miller recently authored House Resolution 634, which honors Merle Haggard. You can read HR 634 here.
- Kacey Musgraves’ “Blowin’ Smoke” is the iTunes Free Single of the Week.
- Here’s another free song: Hot Club of Cowtown’s recording of “Slow Boat to China” from their forthcoming album, Rendezvous in Rhythm (out May 28).
- Adam Steffey’s next solo record, New Primitive, will be released in June.
- Jason Aldean, Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Eric Church, Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Lady Antebellum, and Little Big Town have been added to the lineup of ACM Awards performers.
- Vince Gill, Larry Gatlin and the Gatlin Brothers, Jimmy Fortune (Statler Brothers), and Joanne Cash Yates will perform at the Johnny Cash Music Festival at Arkansas State University in Jonesboro this August.
- Here’s a video of My Morning Jacket covering “It Makes No Difference” in their rehearsal for last fall’s Love for Levon memorial concert.
- The McCrary Sisters will release their next album, All the Way, on April 30. (via press release)
- So Kenny Chesney has his own rum now.
- Billy Bragg talks about his new record with Eric R. Danton of Rolling Stone.
- Tim Nichols, Brett James, and The Warren Brothers are a few of the acts slated to perform at the April 10 benefit show “Songs & Stories for St. Jude” at 3rd and Lindsley in Nashville.
- Exile taped their Nashville show last Saturday for an upcoming live album and DVD.
- Check out Laura Cantrell singing “I Know You’re Gonna Break My Heart” with The Sharp Things.
- Country California posted video of Brandy Clark’s visit to the Marty Stuart Show.
- Tara Seetharam wrote a fine review of George Strait’s final Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo concert.
- Here’s a video of Rodney Hayden playing Roger Miller’s “Walking in the Sunshine.” (h/t C.M. Wilcox)
- Billboard’s Chuck Dauphin wrote a feature on Steven Curtis Chapman and his new album, Deep Roots.
- Carrie Underwood announced her next single on Twitter. “See You Again” will be coming to a radio near you soon.
- This week’s album releases:
Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver – Roads Well Traveled
Kacey Musgraves – Same Trailer Different Park
Simone Dinnerstein & Tift Merritt – Night
Susie Glaze & The Hilonesome Band – White Swan
Josh Rouse – The Happiness Waltz
Anais Mitchell & Jefferson Hamer – Child Ballads
Phosphorescent – Muchacho
Billy Bragg – Tooth & Nail
Kelly Richey – Sweet Spirit
Kyle Park – Beggin’ for More
Bobby Bare – The Real Thing / I Hate Goodbyes / Ride Me Down Easy
Davidson Hart Kingsbery – 2 Horses
Merle Haggard – Live from Austin, TX
Jerry Lee Lewis – Live from Austin, TX
Kris Kristofferson – Live from Austin, TX
- And a DVD:
- Leeann Ward: I'll just go ahead and say it. I was impressed with how well Carrie did with the singing. I'm a …
- TexasVet: From MusicRow: Underwood’s ‘The Sound of Music Live!’ Brings In 19.3 Million Viewers earned NBC its biggest audience on the night …
- nm: I'd love to see a version of TSoM that managed to sneak in a new number or two based on …
- Barry Mazor: That any version of "Sound of Music" would be "trying to replace the cats of the movie" is an hysterically …
- TexasVet: The Von Trapps had some stinging comments concerning Underwood’s “Spound of Music” part. I think they pose some legitimate …
- tncheesehead: reading the story behind the Paisley/Underwood lawsuit I would guess that yes the idea was stolen - too many coincidences …
- BRUCE: Interesting lawsuit against Paisley & Underwood plus Sony. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Von Trapps …
- Country fan: Hunter is very good, I wish he would do some traditional country music.
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!
- Country fan: Merle is one of the greatest talents in music.