David Allan Coe Hospitalized Following Car Crash; Jason Molina Passes Away; Album Releases
- David Allan Coe ran a red light in Ocala, Florida, and was T-boned by a semi early this morning. Coe and the two people in the truck have been hospitalized with “non-life-threatening conditions.”
- On Saturday in Chicago, the Museum of Broadcast Communications will pay tribute to the WLS National Barn Dance.
- Michelle Shocked went on an anti-gay rant at a San Francisco show, which she ended by saying “You can go on Twitter and say ‘Michelle Shocked says ‘God hates fags.’”
- Anais Mitchell and Jefferson Hamer’s new album, Child Ballads, can be streamed on USA Today’s site.
- Texas State Rep. Doug Miller recently authored House Resolution 634, which honors Merle Haggard. You can read HR 634 here.
- Kacey Musgraves’ “Blowin’ Smoke” is the iTunes Free Single of the Week.
- Here’s another free song: Hot Club of Cowtown’s recording of “Slow Boat to China” from their forthcoming album, Rendezvous in Rhythm (out May 28).
- Adam Steffey’s next solo record, New Primitive, will be released in June.
- Jason Aldean, Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Eric Church, Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Lady Antebellum, and Little Big Town have been added to the lineup of ACM Awards performers.
- Vince Gill, Larry Gatlin and the Gatlin Brothers, Jimmy Fortune (Statler Brothers), and Joanne Cash Yates will perform at the Johnny Cash Music Festival at Arkansas State University in Jonesboro this August.
- Here’s a video of My Morning Jacket covering “It Makes No Difference” in their rehearsal for last fall’s Love for Levon memorial concert.
- The McCrary Sisters will release their next album, All the Way, on April 30. (via press release)
- So Kenny Chesney has his own rum now.
- Billy Bragg talks about his new record with Eric R. Danton of Rolling Stone.
- Tim Nichols, Brett James, and The Warren Brothers are a few of the acts slated to perform at the April 10 benefit show “Songs & Stories for St. Jude” at 3rd and Lindsley in Nashville.
- Exile taped their Nashville show last Saturday for an upcoming live album and DVD.
- Check out Laura Cantrell singing “I Know You’re Gonna Break My Heart” with The Sharp Things.
- Country California posted video of Brandy Clark’s visit to the Marty Stuart Show.
- Tara Seetharam wrote a fine review of George Strait’s final Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo concert.
- Here’s a video of Rodney Hayden playing Roger Miller’s “Walking in the Sunshine.” (h/t C.M. Wilcox)
- Billboard’s Chuck Dauphin wrote a feature on Steven Curtis Chapman and his new album, Deep Roots.
- Carrie Underwood announced her next single on Twitter. “See You Again” will be coming to a radio near you soon.
- This week’s album releases:
Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver – Roads Well Traveled
Kacey Musgraves – Same Trailer Different Park
Simone Dinnerstein & Tift Merritt – Night
Susie Glaze & The Hilonesome Band – White Swan
Josh Rouse – The Happiness Waltz
Anais Mitchell & Jefferson Hamer – Child Ballads
Phosphorescent – Muchacho
Billy Bragg – Tooth & Nail
Kelly Richey – Sweet Spirit
Kyle Park – Beggin’ for More
Bobby Bare – The Real Thing / I Hate Goodbyes / Ride Me Down Easy
Davidson Hart Kingsbery – 2 Horses
Merle Haggard – Live from Austin, TX
Jerry Lee Lewis – Live from Austin, TX
Kris Kristofferson – Live from Austin, TX
- And a DVD:
- Henry: Goes the other way, tool, with the late great Alex Chilton--during a Punk period for him--singing "D-I-V-O-R-C-E" on "Electricity by …
- Jack Williams: Drive-By Truckers - People Who Died (Jim Carroll) Dwight Yoakam - Train In Vain (The Clash) Los Lobos - Uncomplicated (Elvis Costello)
- Juli Thanki: Also, The Meat Purveyors recorded The Human League's "Don't You Want Me" for Someday Soon Things Will Be Much Worse: …
- june wommack: Just love DonWilliamsMy daught is named after him. My favorite song Amanda and middle name id Dawn of course after …
- henry: Aikou and NM: Yes, Duane was a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings and took her name from …
- nm: Aikou, anyone in the US who hadn't read LoTR at the time when Galadrielle was born was hopelessly out of …
- Aikou: I'm honestly wondering how Duane came up with Galadrielle as a name for his daughter, I'm assuming he probably was …
- Paul W Dennis: I like the song, although it does not compare with his best efforts. Don, of course, is always a supremely …
- Diane Reiten: Once a Don Williams fan...always a Don Williams fan....with his voice this man can do no wrong!!!
- bruce: If there is one thing Don Williams seems incapable of doing, it is putting out a bad song or album. …