Dave Alvin and the Guilty Women Announce Tour Dates
- Dave Alvin and the Guilty Women (consisting of Christy McWilson, Cindy Cashdollar, Nina Gerber, Laurie Lewis, Amy Farris, Sarah Brown and Lisa Pankratz) will kick off their tour on June 18 in Santa Cruz, CA in support of their new self-titled album.
- Lynyrd Skynyrd bassist Donald “Ean” Evans passed away at the age of 48 after a battle with cancer.
- Chet Flippo wrote a list of suggestions to songwriters, artists, music labels, radio and country music fans that he says could perhaps invigorate the music scene.
- Four powerful new shareholders took seats on Gaylord Entertainment’s board of directors, but Robert Rowling, a billionaire Texas oilman and hotel owner whose company owns 14.9 percent of Gaylord’s stock, says the shareholders don’t intend to tamper with the Grand Ole Opry.
- Jamey Johnson defends his choice to write “Honky Tonk Badonkadonk”:
“You know, the way I look at it, country music has always had a certain freedom to it where artists can explore different things,” he says. “Even Hank Williams, not every song he wrote was the cold sting of reality. He also wrote ‘Hey Good Lookin’.’ I don’t recall anybody questioning his motives or questioning whether or not he still had his credibility as a songwriter because he rhymed ‘Hey good lookin’ ‘ with ‘What you got cookin’.’
- Writer Jeremy Henderson set out on a mission to define Red Dirt music.
- Chuck Wicks and Chris Young have been added to the lineup for the Golf & Guitars charity concert in Sacramento, CA next week.
- Watch a video from Music Fog of Jesse Winchester performing “Hank and Lefty” acoustically.
- Twangville is giving away an autographed copy of the new self-titled album from Sara Watkins, which Juli Thanki gave four stars. Just leave a comment to enter.
- Country California’s C.M. Wilcox endorses Do Wrong Right, the new album from The Devil Makes Three.
More than anything else, this record has finally captured the vitality of the trio, an electrifying quality most obviously on display in some of its lighter fare. “Gracefully Facedown” (alcoholism never sounded so good) and “Do Wrong Right” are both quirky, good-humored party songs, but neither can beat “For Good Again” for utter charm. The tale of a ragtag bunch of buddies who decide to start up their own band, it features some of the most hilarious lyrics you’ll find this side of Todd Snider and John Prine.
- A Truer Sound posted video of John Doe & The Sadies performing “Stop the World And Let Me Off.”
- Merle Haggard. Gruene Hall. June 3. $70. Yea, so that announcement probably doesn’t do most of you any good if you live outside of Texas, but are there really people who can still afford $70 tickets?
- On this day in 1976 Reba McEntire made her chart debut with “I Don’t Want To Be A One Night Stand.”
- Download a free mp3 of “Drinkin’ To You” from Red Stick Ramblers, whose album My Suitcase Is Always Packed is scheduled for a May 19 release.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.