Daryle Singletary Returns to the Studio; NPR Premieres Shovels & Rope’s Swimmin’ Time; New Music Videos
- Florida Georgia Line will release Anything Goes on October 14.
- John Mellencamp will “embrace his Americana roots” on his new LP, Plain Spoken, out September 23.
- Cumulus has launched its Nash Icon format on multiple radio stations stations.
- Check out the trailer for The Song, a new movie about a singer-songwriter whose hit record leads to family drama.
- In other film news, the documentary Glen Campbell… I’ll Be Me will be released in New York and Nashville theaters on October 24, with a nationwide release to follow. You can watch the trailer here.
- Stream Shovels & Rope’s Swimmin’ Time on NPR.
- Jim Lauderdale visited the American Songwriter offices to play “I’m a Song.”
- Listen to Kenny Chesney’s “Flora-Bama,” which will be on his next album, The Big Revival.
- Angaleena Presley released a lyric video for “Ain’t No Man,” the first single on her upcoming solo album.
- Former Eden’s Edge lead singer Hannah Blaylock unveiled an acoustic video of her beautiful song, “Don’t Want You to Go.”
- Logan Brill performed a four-song acoustic concert that you can stream over at Daytrotter.
- The devoted C.M. Wilcox posted a new Quotable Country.
- Bob Dylan came in at Number 18 on CMT’s All-Time Top 40: Artists’ Choice.
- Brad Paisley leaked his song “American Flag on the Moon” from a launch pad at Kennedy Space Center.
- Meet Alexis Cunningham, one of SiriusXM’s fresh female voices of country music.
- Tim McGraw scored his 50th Top 10 hit with “Meanwhile, Back at Mama’s.”
- What happens when you’re George Strait’s backup singer and your golden goose retires from the road? Marty Slayton Jordan lets you know in Peter Cooper’s new Tennessean column.
- Crystal Shawanda announced on Facebook that she will release her blues album, The Whole World’s Got the Blues, on September 30.
- Daryle Singletary is back in the studio working on his next project.
- Ray Wylie Hubbard looks like he’s working on a new project too, based on this note he posted on his Facebook page: “went in and listened to what we recorded a few weeks ago..it stands up on its hind legs and makes a fist.. you may not like the singer or the songs but you will like the way it sounds.. i really don’t know where these gnawed off pieces of obscureness come from and sometimes i even wonder why i can’t write somewhat remotely close to mainstream commercial popular type songs that maybe somebody else might record some day but then..i get a headache thinking about that and i quit and get grateful that as an old cat at least my songs aren’t metaphor deficient and i still can lay down a groove that make the hip bones wanna do the shaka shaka boom boom ugha ugha whomp whomp.”
- Bassist Jason Moore has left Mountain Heart.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Doug Bruce – “Broke Down Heart”
Nu-Blu and Sam Moore – “Jesus and Jones”
Mick Lindsay – “Imaginary Girl”
Michaela Anne –“Ease My Mind” (Live at WAMU’s Bluegrass Country)
Jim Gaudet & The Railroad Boys – “Walk of Life” (Live at WAMU’s Bluegrass Country)
Gwen Sebastian – “Small Town Soul”
Chasin’ Crazy – “That’s How We Do Summertime”
Stephanie Quayle – “Sugar High”
Christie Lamb – “Wish You Were a Cowboy”
John Berry – “Please Come to Boston” (Tour Bus Covers)
Kacey Musgraves and Katy Perry – “Keep It to Yourself” (CMT Crossroads)
Eric Church – “Cold One”
Erica Bryan – “This House is Haunted”
- Paul W Dennis: They are an interesting group. This song sounds more jazzy (Andrews Sisters, Puppini Sisiter, Ingrid Lucia) but for a folkier …
- Barry Mazor: What the "Americana" term brings to mind, by this point, is a matter of time and marketing. Like all …
- Paul W Dennis: I loved the Jerry Douglas interview and love the ideas behind his two concept albums Unfortunately I never had the opportunity …
- luckyoldsun: Barry, That's a good point, as far as country itself being a word that refers to a lot more than a …
- Six String Richie: Also, in regards to that article, Aldean's #2 complaint was "Nashville Copycats" and he gripes that people are copping Luke …
- Six String Richie: Billboard misprinted his new single as "Burnin' It Up" in that article! That goes to show how little even …
- CraigR.: Here are 5 things that piss me off about Jason Aldean: 1. He is a sore winner. Why complain when you …
- Barry Mazor: The words "country" and jazz (or "jass") and blues had been around for decades before they became genres (or formats) …
- Jeff Miller: Yeah, the first time I played Jimmie Rodgers for my wife & daughter- they were aghast that he was singing …
- David Cantwell: I think it more helpful to think of Americana not as a genre but as a format--and, perhaps better, and …