Daryle Singletary Returns to the Studio; NPR Premieres Shovels & Rope’s Swimmin’ Time; New Music Videos
- Florida Georgia Line will release Anything Goes on October 14.
- John Mellencamp will “embrace his Americana roots” on his new LP, Plain Spoken, out September 23.
- Cumulus has launched its Nash Icon format on multiple radio stations stations.
- Check out the trailer for The Song, a new movie about a singer-songwriter whose hit record leads to family drama.
- In other film news, the documentary Glen Campbell… I’ll Be Me will be released in New York and Nashville theaters on October 24, with a nationwide release to follow. You can watch the trailer here.
- Stream Shovels & Rope’s Swimmin’ Time on NPR.
- Jim Lauderdale visited the American Songwriter offices to play “I’m a Song.”
- Listen to Kenny Chesney’s “Flora-Bama,” which will be on his next album, The Big Revival.
- Angaleena Presley released a lyric video for “Ain’t No Man,” the first single on her upcoming solo album.
- Former Eden’s Edge lead singer Hannah Blaylock unveiled an acoustic video of her beautiful song, “Don’t Want You to Go.”
- Logan Brill performed a four-song acoustic concert that you can stream over at Daytrotter.
- The devoted C.M. Wilcox posted a new Quotable Country.
- Bob Dylan came in at Number 18 on CMT’s All-Time Top 40: Artists’ Choice.
- Brad Paisley leaked his song “American Flag on the Moon” from a launch pad at Kennedy Space Center.
- Meet Alexis Cunningham, one of SiriusXM’s fresh female voices of country music.
- Tim McGraw scored his 50th Top 10 hit with “Meanwhile, Back at Mama’s.”
- What happens when you’re George Strait’s backup singer and your golden goose retires from the road? Marty Slayton Jordan lets you know in Peter Cooper’s new Tennessean column.
- Crystal Shawanda announced on Facebook that she will release her blues album, The Whole World’s Got the Blues, on September 30.
- Daryle Singletary is back in the studio working on his next project.
- Ray Wylie Hubbard looks like he’s working on a new project too, based on this note he posted on his Facebook page: “went in and listened to what we recorded a few weeks ago..it stands up on its hind legs and makes a fist.. you may not like the singer or the songs but you will like the way it sounds.. i really don’t know where these gnawed off pieces of obscureness come from and sometimes i even wonder why i can’t write somewhat remotely close to mainstream commercial popular type songs that maybe somebody else might record some day but then..i get a headache thinking about that and i quit and get grateful that as an old cat at least my songs aren’t metaphor deficient and i still can lay down a groove that make the hip bones wanna do the shaka shaka boom boom ugha ugha whomp whomp.”
- Bassist Jason Moore has left Mountain Heart.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Doug Bruce – “Broke Down Heart”
Nu-Blu and Sam Moore – “Jesus and Jones”
Mick Lindsay – “Imaginary Girl”
Michaela Anne –“Ease My Mind” (Live at WAMU’s Bluegrass Country)
Jim Gaudet & The Railroad Boys – “Walk of Life” (Live at WAMU’s Bluegrass Country)
Gwen Sebastian – “Small Town Soul”
Chasin’ Crazy – “That’s How We Do Summertime”
Stephanie Quayle – “Sugar High”
Christie Lamb – “Wish You Were a Cowboy”
John Berry – “Please Come to Boston” (Tour Bus Covers)
Kacey Musgraves and Katy Perry – “Keep It to Yourself” (CMT Crossroads)
Eric Church – “Cold One”
Erica Bryan – “This House is Haunted”
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …