Dallas Wayne’s Home Destroyed by Fire; Sammy Shelor Awarded Steve Martin Prize; Miranda Lambert Reveals Album Cover Art
- The Iowa Source posted a feature on Tom Russell. An excerpt: Southern California was where Tom was birthed—both bodily and musically. The mariachi bands and the FM radio from across the border, mixed with the musicals on the family stereo and musicians, comedians, and poets performing in LA, created a rich, embryonic stew.
- Sammy Shelor is the 2011 recipient of the Steve Martin Prize for Excellence in Banjo and Bluegrass Music.
- From Katy Daley of WAMU Bluegrass Country: “Let’s give a big push to ask Google Doodle (firstname.lastname@example.org) to honor Bill Monroe on Sept 13, his 100th birthday. Remember, say please and thank you.”
- Songwriter and Guy Clark touring partner Verlon Thompson will release Works, a collection of “literate story songs” on September 20.
- You’re probably aware of the wildfires in Central Texas. Over 500 homes have been destroyed, including Dallas Wayne’s home and studio. If you can spare a few bucks or can donate some goods to those who’ve been affected, it’d be greatly appreciated.
- Check out the album art for Miranda Lambert’s upcoming release Four the Record. And it you’re a Tweeter, you can insert your photo into the mosaic that composes the digital version of the cover.
- LeAnn Rimes will star in CMT movie Reel Love with Burt Reynolds, who will probably be the film’s only saving grace.
- Willie Nelson’s son Lukas had his tour bus searched for (surprise!) marijuana in Ohio. A band member was found to be in possession, but Lukas was clean.
- Randy Houser married singer-songwriter Jessa Lee Yantz in the Dominican Republic on Friday.
- Keith Urban talked to USA Today about his cologne and plans for a women’s fragrance.
- The Bellamy Brothers admitted that Britney Spears’ “Hold It Against Me” wasn’t a copy of their song and apologized to Spears’ songwriters, Dr. Luke and Max Martin, who dropped their lawsuit.
- Sam Bush received a Living Legend Lifetime Achievement Award from the Music on the Mountaintop Festival in Boone, North Carolina.
- Carrie Underwood’s hockey husband steals her moisturizer. All that time on the ice is probably drying.
- Paste reports that an Elvis Presley biopic is in the works and will be released in 2012.
- New (or new to you) music videos and live performances:
Crystal Shawanda — “F**kin’ Perfect” (a Pink cover)
Jason Blaine -- “They Don’t Make ‘Em Like That Anymore” (for our Canadian readers only)
- Jack: Not impressed by Justin Townes Earle's low view of country music.
- nm: Does anyone know whatever became of the album that Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer were going to do together?
- luckyoldsun: I'm not surprised. Artists who can't get seem to get a satisfactory deal with a commercial label always say how …
- Jack Williams: I'm a little surprised to hear of Shelby Lynne signing with another label, even if it is Rounder. She …
- A.B.: THREE new albums from Sturgill next year?! I'm excited for that!
- Keith Samuels: I can't wait to listen to the entire recording. What a treasure.
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …
- Barry Mazor: I know for a fact that most of the album was recorded fresh and new with Garth Fundis some months …
- luckyoldsun: Michael, From the way it's being promoted, with Yearwood announcing a new label and a new album and with The Tennessean …