Dale Watson Interview, CMT Music Award Tidbits, And Brad Paisley Talks About “Ticks”
- Richard Skanse at Lone Star Music has a candidly amusing interview with Dale Watson. Watson talks about making his latest album in Johnny Cash’s old cabin, what it’s like being friends with Johnny Knoxville, and his knowledge of real country music.
Yeah, but … what happens when Kenny Chesney produces a Willie Nelson record? Is that Ameripolitan?
Is that a joke?
No, that’s the truth. It’s happening. Honest.
[ Long pause .] Oh, man. You just ruined my day.
- Barry Gibb has announced that he and his wife will leave the foundation to the Cash home intact and build their new home on higher ground surrounding the previous foundation.
“Linda and I have decided to build our own home on the higher ground surrounding the Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash home, and the original foundations shall be kept intact and preserved for the people of Hendersonville and the people of Nashville. This land is sacred land to all of us here and must be protected forever. To the [Cash and Carter] families, we owe the highest respect and the deepest regret that our dream could not be realized. Now there is a new dream for us and a new beginning.”
- Kevin from Country Universe live-blogged the CMT Music Awards last night, something he refers to as “an astonishingly tasteless evening” and a “crapfest.” Double ouch, CMT.
- The Tennessean touches on the highlight of the night with the Johnny Cash Visionary Award that was presented to Kris Kristofferson.
- USA Today also has a follow-up account of the CMT Music Awards and includes a picture of Carrie Underwood from her performance of “Before He Cheats.”
- Brad Paisley says that turning in “Ticks” to the head honcho at his record label made him a little nervous and has an entertaining story of how it happened.
“I told Kelly, my co-writer, ‘If he loves this, I’m gonna think he’s crazy.’ Brad says. “And then I said, ‘But if he hates this, I’m gonna think he’s crazy.’ And he said, ‘Well, what do you think?’ And I said, ‘I don’t have any idea. I don’t know what he’s gonna say. I think he’s gonna look at us and go ‘Y’all are out of your minds. You’re crazy. You wanna put this out?’
- Update: Here’s the YouTube video of Kris Kristofferson’s inspirational speech after he accepted the Johnny Cash Visionary Award. I’ll update again if I find a video of the full Kristofferson segment.
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.
- Janice Brooks: Peter Cooper needs an edit. Stringbean did not die in 1964.
- Leeann: I can't contribute to this list, but I did think of Steve Earle and The Wire. It's not my …
- Jeremy Dylan: That was a great episode of Monk. The "Georgia On My Mind" scene is just heartbreaking.