Dale Watson Interview, CMT Music Award Tidbits, And Brad Paisley Talks About “Ticks”
- Richard Skanse at Lone Star Music has a candidly amusing interview with Dale Watson. Watson talks about making his latest album in Johnny Cash’s old cabin, what it’s like being friends with Johnny Knoxville, and his knowledge of real country music.
Yeah, but … what happens when Kenny Chesney produces a Willie Nelson record? Is that Ameripolitan?
Is that a joke?
No, that’s the truth. It’s happening. Honest.
[ Long pause .] Oh, man. You just ruined my day.
- Barry Gibb has announced that he and his wife will leave the foundation to the Cash home intact and build their new home on higher ground surrounding the previous foundation.
“Linda and I have decided to build our own home on the higher ground surrounding the Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash home, and the original foundations shall be kept intact and preserved for the people of Hendersonville and the people of Nashville. This land is sacred land to all of us here and must be protected forever. To the [Cash and Carter] families, we owe the highest respect and the deepest regret that our dream could not be realized. Now there is a new dream for us and a new beginning.”
- Kevin from Country Universe live-blogged the CMT Music Awards last night, something he refers to as “an astonishingly tasteless evening” and a “crapfest.” Double ouch, CMT.
- The Tennessean touches on the highlight of the night with the Johnny Cash Visionary Award that was presented to Kris Kristofferson.
- USA Today also has a follow-up account of the CMT Music Awards and includes a picture of Carrie Underwood from her performance of “Before He Cheats.”
- Brad Paisley says that turning in “Ticks” to the head honcho at his record label made him a little nervous and has an entertaining story of how it happened.
“I told Kelly, my co-writer, ‘If he loves this, I’m gonna think he’s crazy.’ Brad says. “And then I said, ‘But if he hates this, I’m gonna think he’s crazy.’ And he said, ‘Well, what do you think?’ And I said, ‘I don’t have any idea. I don’t know what he’s gonna say. I think he’s gonna look at us and go ‘Y’all are out of your minds. You’re crazy. You wanna put this out?’
- Update: Here’s the YouTube video of Kris Kristofferson’s inspirational speech after he accepted the Johnny Cash Visionary Award. I’ll update again if I find a video of the full Kristofferson segment.
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider
- luckyoldsun: If I was a "long-time fan" of Trisha, I'd probably spring for the CD.