Dailey & Vincent Lead List of International Bluegrass Music Award Nominees
- The International Bluegrass Music Association (IBMA) announced the nominees for their 19th annual awards. Dailey & Vincent leads the list with a total of 10 nominations and a big congratulations goes out to CMT writer Craig Shelburne, whose writing is a constant source for our news roundups, for his nomination in the Print Media Person of the Year category. Check out the list and go leave your predictions in the forums.
- Test your country music knowledge on recent and not-so-recent happenings with Chet Flippo’s 20 question quiz.
- Go watch episode six of Nashville at Nite which features interviews with Emily West and Texas native, Matt Jenkins.
- Olivia Newton-John‘s new album, Olivia Newton-John & Friends, is due out on September 2nd and will feature a duet with Keith Urban on “Sunburned Country,” a song the two co-wrote for an earlier Newton-John album released in 2002.
- The third singer featured in MLB.com’s series linking Country Music Hall of Fame members to baseball is Bill Monroe–who could have been a player had it not been for his poor eyesight. However, he didn’t let his eyesight keep him from fielding a team of band members and road crew to play games on days leading up to their shows. Previous featured singers included Roy Acuff and Charley Pride, while others following Monroe in the series include Gene Autry, Hank Snow, Eddy Arnold, Jim Reeves and Conway Twitty.
- Vince Gill and Amy Grant are performing not one, but two of their annual Christmas shows this year. They’ll be held on back to back nights at the Ryman.
- Galleywinter is holding a Brandon Rhyder listening party for his new album, Every Night, on Sunday at 7pm. Rhyder himself will be available to answer any questions you have and to give away prizes.
- A Photocrap exclusive cover of Darius Rucker‘s forthcoming album.
- Jessica Simpson has samples of three new songs from her debut country album available on MySpace. Look for “Remember That,” “Do You Know” and “Pray Out Loud.”
- When talking about music, Andrew Dansby says Lyle Lovett is quick to turn into a humble fan and his tastes come across as panoramic, “admiring guys like Glen Campbell and John Denver, who had an easy way around a gentle melody, but also those like Townes Van Zandt and Eric Taylor […].” He says one of the best clues to Lovett’s musical makeup isn’t even a piece of music:
In the liner notes to I Love Everybody (1994), he credits a guitar lick on one song to Taylor … sort of. Actually he credits the lick to Eric Taylor as taught to Taylor backstage by Van Zandt, who’d heard Lightnin’ Hopkins play it live. Rather than putting a journalism degree to use chasing money trails, he follows things like guitar licks.
Fans of Lovett who have grown accustomed to years between new releases should be excited to find out that he hopes to do some recording this December.
- NPR has an interview with Glen Campbell and samples from new and old songs, plus a teaser to an in-studio acoustic performance of Jackson Browne’s “These Days.”
- Trace Adkins and Dierks Bentley are among artists who have live DVDs of their appearances on the Austin City Limits series being released this fall. Other artists already included in the series that have new DVDs being released are Merle Haggard, Lucinda Williams and Waylon Jennings.
- Don’t miss the two giveaways currently running on The 9513. The first is for three autographed copies of Crystal Shawanda‘s album Dawn of a New Day with posters and the other includes three copies of Heidi Newfield‘s recently released album What Am I Waiting For. Entering is easy, so uh, what are you waiting for?
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …