Crowell and Harris Finish Duets Album; Keith Urban is New American Idol Judge; New Music Videos
- Rodney Crowell shared some information about his upcoming duets record with Emmylou Harris: “Old Yellow Moon, the Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell duet album produced by Brian Ahern is finally finished. I want to give everybody a heads up to watch for Nonesuch Records official release date which I expect they will announce sometime very soon. The cd took longer to record than expected but when you consider the fact that she and I have been talking about making this music since 1975, the end result came about rather quickly. I’m pleased to say that we’ve performed songs written by Kris Kristofferson, Roger Miller, Patty Scialfa, Matraca Berg, Hank DeVito, Lynn Langham, Donivan & Walter Martin Cowart, as well as four numbers penned by yours truly, including “Bluebird Wine.” Along with the likes of Bill Payne, Vince Gill, Steuart Smith, Stuart Duncan, Tommy Spurlock, David Hungate, Michael Rhodes, Dennis Crouch, John Jorgensen, Paul Franklin, Jedd Hughes, Larry Franklin, Reese Wynans, John Hobbs, Marco Giovino and Chad Cromwell, significant musical contributions were made by members of the original Hot Band, James Burton, John Ware, Emory Gordy and Glen D Hardin. For me, the record’s overall tone calls to mind that southern California blend of country music and rock and roll pioneered by Linda Ronstadt, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Gram Parsons and, of course, Emmylou and The Hot Band.”
- Randy Rogers lost a bet to Josh Abbott when Texas State didn’t cover the spread in the game against Texas Tech. As a result, Rogers had to perform Abbott’s hit “She’s Like Texas” dressed as a giant giraffe at a concert.
- Ashley Monroe of the Pistol Annies got engaged to White Sox pitcher John Danks on Friday night.
- Enter to win tickets to the Railroad Revival Tour featuring Jamey Johnson and Willie Nelson over at Country California.
- Craig Morgan will be hosting another show on the Outdoor Channel. This one’s called Total Outdoorsman Challenge.
- The fight over Tammy Wynette’s estate is explored on an upcoming episode of the Investigation Discovery program The Will: Family Secrets Revealed. It will premiere on 10/18.
- Bob Dylan is planning a follow-up to his autobiography Chronicles.
- After weeks of speculation, Keith Urban was officially announced as a new judge on American Idol for the coming season.
- You can pull Dolly Parton’s handle in Las Vegas soon.
- The Civil Wars’ debut album Barton Hollow was certified Gold by the RIAA.
- This year’s Johnny Cash Music Festival in Jonesboro, Arkansas is set to raise funds to help restore Cash’s boyhood home.
- The Pistol Annies’ 75-minute set in New York last week included covers of songs by “Loretta Lynn, Elvis Presley, Aretha Franklin, and even Bob Marley.”
- Singer-songwriter Homer Joy, the writer of Buck Owens’ “Streets of Bakersfield,” passed away at 67.
- Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame member Allen Reynolds will be next performer featured at the Country Music Hall of Fame’s quarterly series Poets and Prophets: Legendary Country Songwriters.
- Home recording studios are challenging the majors in Nashville.
- Elizabeth Cook is taking donations for (or giving away depending on your generosity) five outstanding songs over at NoiseTrade.
- Trisha Yearwood invites viewers back for a new season of Trisha’s Southern Kitchen, premiering Saturday, October 20th at 11am ET/PT on Food Network. (via press release)
- The Blue Sky Riders will release their debut and tentatively self-titled album on January 22.
- Randy Travis’ brother was arrested on the charges of possession of meth.
- Gaylord Entertainment had its largest stockholder recommend that they “spin-off the assets related to the Grand Ole Opry.”
- Recent Music Videos:
Tagged In This Article
Allen Reynolds // Aretha Franklin // Ashley Monroe // Bill Payne // Blue Sky Riders // Bob Dylan // Bob Marley // Brian Ahern // Buck Owens // Chad Cromwell // Craig Morgan // David Hungate // Dennis Crouch // Dolly Parton // Donivan Cowart // Elizabeth Cook // Elvis Presley // Emmylou Harris // Emory Gordy // Flying Burrito Brothers // Glen D. Hardin // Gram Parsons // Hank DeVito // Homer Joy // James Burton // Jamey Johnson // Jedd Hughes // John Hobbs // John Jorgensen // John Ware // Johnny Cash // Josh Abbott // Keith Urban // Kris Kristofferson // Larry Franklin // Linda Ronstadt // Loretta Lynn // Lynn Landham // Marco Giovino // Matraca Berg // Michael Rhodes // Patty Scialfa // Paul Franklin // Pistol Annies // Randy Rogers // Randy Travis // Reese Wynans // Rodney Crowell // Roger Miller // Steuart Smith // Stuart Duncan // Tammy Wynette // The Civil Wars // Tommy Spurlock // Trisha Yearwood // Vince Gill // Walter Martin Cowart // Willie Nelson
- Kathy Gaddis: Very very nice!
- bob: Good day with news of PrizeFighter Trisha and Drunken Martina.
- John Fuller: Oh yeah!! Crispy sweet!
- Rick Mifflin: Sublime
- Leeann: Very nice!
- luckyoldsun: Paul, Good info. It's pretty disgraceful that Billboard editors can't even get musical history remotely right regarding even their own publication. The …
- Juli Thanki: Yep, I'll be there. Looking forward to it!
- Leeann: Wow! The Look Again to the Wind: Johnny Cash’s Bitter Tears Revisited album is so good!
- Jack Williams: I was also there on Saturday, Juli. I really liked Angeleena Presley's set, too. Marty and the boys …
- Jack Williams: I heard the guy who made the documentary talks funny. That's great news. I'll definitely buy a copy …