Cross Canadian Ragweed to Take Break; Cactus Cafe Partners with KUT-FM; John Fogerty Named BMI Icon
- Cross Canadian Ragweed is going on an indefinite hiatus.
- Willie Nelson on mainstream country music:
In my opinion, it’s a little watered down now. The mainstream country music that I hear–to me, it’s not really country, and it’s not really anything. So it may be pleasing to the ear, and that’s great, but as far as I’m concerned, it’s not country music.
- The Cactus Cafe will live on in a partnership with KUT-FM, Austin’s NPR affiliate.
- John Fogerty was named the BMI Icon at the BMI Awards on on Tuesday night and Taylor Swift picked up a Song of the Year award for “Love Story,” making her the youngest writer to ever receive the award.
- Music Fog: Kevin Welch – “Killing Myself”
- Elizabeth Cook on creating characters with dimensions:
“People are complicated,” Cook says. “One of my pet peeves is for things and people and their thoughts to get so polarized — that something’s all black and white. It’s just not true in our politics. It’s just not true in our music. It’s not true in our feelings. People are complex. I can’t stand to see something just generalized and glossed over. It’s just so insensitive.”
- The Grascals on Mountain Stage.
- Is that Conan’s…nevermind, it’s just Willie‘s finger.
- Tim McGraw, Brad Paisley and the Zac Brown Band have been added to the list of performers at the 2010 CMT Music Awards show on June 9.
- CMT videos:
- The ACM Presents: Brooks & Dunn – The Last Rodeo tribute is this Sunday on CBS.
- MusicRow announced nominees for its 22nd annual awards.
- In an interview with The Boot’s Vernell Hackett, Jamey Johnson talked a little bit about the two albums (Guitar Song I & II) he’ll release later this year and the first single, “My Way To You:”
“It’s about which way he went, and the repercussion from the next decision, until he gets darker and bleaker and is totally lost,” Jamey explains. “He starts putting two and two together on the way out and comes to the conclusion that everything is for the purpose of God and it’s all wrapped in the design of the yin and yang. That’s what it is all about — you live your life for the purpose of God, that’s the conclusion of it all. Yeah, you’re gonna make a bad decision somewhere and they’re gonna come back and haunt you. That’s OK, that’s part of life, too. That’s the message of this album.”
Music Fog: Sam Baker – “Slots”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.