‘Crazy Heart’ Earns Multiple Oscar Nods; New Releases; New American Voices Part Dos
- Jeff Bridges, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett earned Oscar nominations for their work on Crazy Heart. The soundtrack is currently available for download at $5.00 with the deluxe edition marked up a few dollars at $7.99.
New releases for the week of February 2, 2009 include:
- Farce the Music: Top 10 Things That Won’t Be on Chuck Wicks‘ Next Release
- Brenda Lee, Marty Stuart, and Tanya Tucker will visit the The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum on February 20 to discuss the highs and lows of early fame and success in a special panel titled The Kid’s Got Talent: Child Stardom in the Music Business.
- Craig Wiseman has Nashville pride.
- The song “If I Had My Way” from Patty Griffin‘s new gospel album, Downtown Church, is available for free on Amazon.
- Scott Borchetta responds to criticism regarding Taylor Swift‘s Grammy performance:
“The facts say she is the undisputed best communicator that we’ve got,” Borchetta said. “So when she says something or feels something it affects more people than anybody else. Maybe she’s not the best technical singer, but she is the best emotional singer. Everybody gets up there and is technically perfect people don’t seem to want more of it. There’s not an artist in any other format that people want more of than they want of Taylor. I think (the critics) are missing the whole voice of a generation that is happening right in front of them. Maybe they are jealous or can’t understand that. But obviously the people that she talks to are engaged with her. No one is perfect on any given day. Maybe in that moment we didn’t have the best night, but in the same breath, maybe we did.”
- Taylor Swift‘s handlers are concerned that she could be overexposed.
- The New York Times‘ Jon Caramanica on Swift’s success:
Success has altered how she’s perceived, but most of all, success breeds perspective, especially in someone as savvy and bright as Ms. Swift.
Ideally, what will emerge will be a new Ms. Swift, cut from whole cloth, with some gumption, some sass, some wisdom that the world has crueler foes than teenage boys.
- The Gobblers Knob describes Lightning From the North, the new album from the .357 String Band, as bluegrass with a punk heart.
- @Miranda Lambert: “Just read what Patty Griffin said about me cutting her song in EW. I think it’s a form of respect and flattery. She thinks it’s ‘too loud.'” And the followup, “Sad when your hero’s let you down.”
- A court date has been scheduled for Feb. 19 to determine what Mary Miller, the widow of Roger Miller, is entitled to following a lengthy dispute over the copyright to “King of the Road” and many of Miller’s other famous songs. (via That Nashville Sound)
Before he died, Miller had OK’d the renewal of copyright terms on his older songs. Sony claimed in court filings it still had an implied, nonexclusive license to use the 1964 songs, in part because Miller’s estate had not contested the company’s use of the songs earlier.
- Juli Thanki on Sunday night’s Trace Adkins and Martina McBride Shine All Night concert: “[…] as its title suggests, it was an evening brimming with optimism, even with the occasional song about domestic violence and dead kids.”
- Miranda Lambert turned in a nine-song celebrity playlist to Amazon.
- The American Voices tour — joining Larry Gatlin, Crystal Gayle, and Andy Cooney — picks up again on Saturday in Austin with another date scheduled for late February in Florida.
- The previous tour shouldn’t be confused with our own New American Voices Tour with Drew Kennedy and Rodney Hayden, which coincidentally picks up again this year, too. We’ll be updating the website as new information comes in, but for a tentative schedule, to book the show for your venue, or sign up for a house concert, visit Drew Kennedy’s website.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …