Craig Morgan Retaliates; Jason Aldean Goes Gold; Phil Vassar Releases Video For ‘Bobbi’
- Craig Morgan rags on Blake Shelton in a new video that shows him reading a poem he wrote in response to a poem Shelton wrote earlier this year poking fun at his hair. In one line of the poem Morgan reads, “Don’t be discouraged when your girlfriend sells more records than you. I mean seriously, without her what would you do?” Burn. (via NashvilleGab)
- Watch the video premier for Phil Vassar’s “Bobbi With An I.”
- The Austin Chronicle‘s Doug Freeman says Steve Earle dedicated the first half of his nearly two-hour show at the Paramount last Friday to Townes Van Zandt tunes.
- The alternative/indie rock band Lemonheads did a respectable job covering Townes Van Zandt‘s “Waitin’ Around to Die.”
- After 10 weeks, Jason Aldean reached gold status with his album Wide Open, a mark he didn’t reach until 12 weeks with his first two albums.
- Cricket from Froggy 97! on newer artists:
Who will become a household name? Who is destined for the Country Music Hall of Fame? Which newcomers will collect honors and awards galore?
If there’s any justice in the music biz, Jason Aldean will be one of them.
- Chet Flippo thanked Brad Paisley in his latest Nashville Skyline column for ten years of music and for doing his part “to keep the music on track, to keep it country, to keep it from veering off into impossible ventures into bombastic pop country and to keep it from turning into a cartoon version of itself.”
- Gloriana has a new video for “The Way It Goes,” which was shot on the road while on tour with Taylor Swift.
- Sean L. Maloney knew Those Darlins before they reached their current level of obscurity and for that he deserves extra hip points.
- Ken Tucker shared stories of his two brushes with Garth Brooks.
- Bob Lefsetz praised Buddy Miller‘s performance at The Greek Theater on Wednesday night where he played with Emmylou Harris, Shawn Colvin and Patty Griffin as part of their Three Girls and Their Buddy tour. Mikael Wood reviewed the same show for The Los Angeles Times.
- Farce the Music has a new song, “All White,” a parody of Darius Rucker‘s “Alright.”
- In a review of Beautiful Day, The Austin Chronicle‘s Margaret Moser says Charlie Robison is challenging brother Bruce in the Texas songwriters sweepstakes.
- Craig Shelburne shared a playlist of recent songs from independent artists.
- Aaron Watson is scheduled to record a live album and DVD tomorrow in Waco. The project, titled Deep In The Heart Of Texas: Aaron Watson Live, will be released September 15.
- Country California is celebrating its first anniversary with a mega giveaway — seven albums from Charlie Robison, Chuck Mead, Holly Williams and more will go to seven different winners.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …