Craig Morgan Parts with BNA Records; Canadian Station Bans Carrie Underwood Music; New Artists Stump For ACM Votes
- Craig Morgan has left the building, uhh, I mean BNA Records, making him the latest in a line of artists to leave the Sony Music Nashville umbrella.
- Despite interest from several teams, Canadian hockey team Ottawa Senators prioritized the trade of Mike Fisher to the Nashville Predators with the hope that he would be able to spend more time with his wife, Carrie Underwood. How altruistic of them. Not everyone is happy with the trade though. In protest, an Ottawa non-country radio station has banned Underwood’s music. (via NashvilleGab)
- In other Underwood news, she was snubbed in this year’s Entertainer of the Year race, says ACM head honcho Bob Romeo.
- Tracy Lawrence is reuniting with producer James Stroud for his next record:
“It’s back to traditional country,” he said of his follow-up to “The Rock.” “But also it’s very contemporary as far as … it’s not the old cry-in-your-beer stuff. It’s pretty mainstream for where we’re at, but not to the pop side at all. It’s still pretty me.”
- Dierks Bentley shared 10 of his favorite Grammy-winning, country songs.
- Country California Fake News: Lengthy, Argumentative Comment Thread Brought to Satisfying Conclusion
A needlessly confrontational, obnoxiously pedantic discussion thread on a country music blog took a sudden turn at the 134th comment today, resolving quickly and amicably to the satisfaction of all parties involved.
- Music Fog: Roger Creager – “Tangle Me In You”
- From the press release on Ralph Stanley‘s new gospel album:
“The autumnal recordings of Ralph Stanley are among the last links to the fierce confrontationalism of true Appalachian music,” observes eminent music scholar Colin Escott in his liner notes for the album. “The music, like the people, stood square-jawed in the face of adversity. You can hear the pain in every ghostly trailing note and struggle in every barbed syllable.”
- ACM Top New Vocalist nominees Easton Corbin, Randy Houser, and Eric Church all released videos in their campaigns for fans’ votes, but each took a slightly different approach. Top New Vocal Duo or Group nominee The JaneDear Girls made a video, too.
- Chet Flippo predicts the Grammys, but not before taking a jab at the nominees:
In looking over this year’s crop of Grammy nominees, I have to conclude that this is about as anemic and lifeless a lineup as I can recall since the glory days of Milli Vanilli. That’s not much of a surprise, when you think back over the past year and search in vain for major musical highlights.
- This year marks the 10th anniversary of Marty Stuart‘s Late Night Jam, the unofficial kick off event of the CMA Music Festival.
- Farce the Music: John Rich‘s Songwriting Tips #48
Modern country songs are best written in comfort. In the old days, Hank Williams had a damn sawhorse with a board across it as a desk and his hot-ass backyard as an office. Simple surroundings = simple songs. Rich don’t play dat.
- Trace Adkins‘ puppet porn.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.