Craig Morgan Parts with BNA Records; Canadian Station Bans Carrie Underwood Music; New Artists Stump For ACM Votes
- Craig Morgan has left the building, uhh, I mean BNA Records, making him the latest in a line of artists to leave the Sony Music Nashville umbrella.
- Despite interest from several teams, Canadian hockey team Ottawa Senators prioritized the trade of Mike Fisher to the Nashville Predators with the hope that he would be able to spend more time with his wife, Carrie Underwood. How altruistic of them. Not everyone is happy with the trade though. In protest, an Ottawa non-country radio station has banned Underwood’s music. (via NashvilleGab)
- In other Underwood news, she was snubbed in this year’s Entertainer of the Year race, says ACM head honcho Bob Romeo.
- Tracy Lawrence is reuniting with producer James Stroud for his next record:
“It’s back to traditional country,” he said of his follow-up to “The Rock.” “But also it’s very contemporary as far as … it’s not the old cry-in-your-beer stuff. It’s pretty mainstream for where we’re at, but not to the pop side at all. It’s still pretty me.”
- Dierks Bentley shared 10 of his favorite Grammy-winning, country songs.
- Country California Fake News: Lengthy, Argumentative Comment Thread Brought to Satisfying Conclusion
A needlessly confrontational, obnoxiously pedantic discussion thread on a country music blog took a sudden turn at the 134th comment today, resolving quickly and amicably to the satisfaction of all parties involved.
- Music Fog: Roger Creager – “Tangle Me In You”
- From the press release on Ralph Stanley‘s new gospel album:
“The autumnal recordings of Ralph Stanley are among the last links to the fierce confrontationalism of true Appalachian music,” observes eminent music scholar Colin Escott in his liner notes for the album. “The music, like the people, stood square-jawed in the face of adversity. You can hear the pain in every ghostly trailing note and struggle in every barbed syllable.”
- ACM Top New Vocalist nominees Easton Corbin, Randy Houser, and Eric Church all released videos in their campaigns for fans’ votes, but each took a slightly different approach. Top New Vocal Duo or Group nominee The JaneDear Girls made a video, too.
- Chet Flippo predicts the Grammys, but not before taking a jab at the nominees:
In looking over this year’s crop of Grammy nominees, I have to conclude that this is about as anemic and lifeless a lineup as I can recall since the glory days of Milli Vanilli. That’s not much of a surprise, when you think back over the past year and search in vain for major musical highlights.
- This year marks the 10th anniversary of Marty Stuart‘s Late Night Jam, the unofficial kick off event of the CMA Music Festival.
- Farce the Music: John Rich‘s Songwriting Tips #48
Modern country songs are best written in comfort. In the old days, Hank Williams had a damn sawhorse with a board across it as a desk and his hot-ass backyard as an office. Simple surroundings = simple songs. Rich don’t play dat.
- Trace Adkins‘ puppet porn.
- Barry Mazor: What the "Americana" term brings to mind, by this point, is a matter of time and marketing. Like all …
- Paul W Dennis: I loved the Jerry Douglas interview and love the ideas behind his two concept albums Unfortunately I never had the opportunity …
- luckyoldsun: Barry, That's a good point, as far as country itself being a word that refers to a lot more than a …
- Six String Richie: Also, in regards to that article, Aldean's #2 complaint was "Nashville Copycats" and he gripes that people are copping Luke …
- Six String Richie: Billboard misprinted his new single as "Burnin' It Up" in that article! That goes to show how little even …
- CraigR.: Here are 5 things that piss me off about Jason Aldean: 1. He is a sore winner. Why complain when you …
- Barry Mazor: The words "country" and jazz (or "jass") and blues had been around for decades before they became genres (or formats) …
- Jeff Miller: Yeah, the first time I played Jimmie Rodgers for my wife & daughter- they were aghast that he was singing …
- David Cantwell: I think it more helpful to think of Americana not as a genre but as a format--and, perhaps better, and …
- Juli Thanki: That would definitely be better than Marvel's hilariously terrible Billy Ray Cyrus comic book, released in 1995. http://4thletter.net/2009/02/billy-ray-cyrus-the-marvel-comic-book-yes-really/