Cowboy Jack Clement’s Last Album Due in July; NYT on the Trail of Geeshie Wiley & Elvie Thomas; New Music Videos
- As was mentioned in the comments section by Juli, singer-songwriter Jesse Winchester passed away from cancer last Friday morning at the age of 69. Obituaries have been published by The New York Times, Rolling Stone, USA Today, NPR, and CMT, to name just a few.
- Barry Mazor reviewed The Hank Williams Reader for The Wall Street Journal.
- Listen to “Let the Chips Fall” from Cowboy Jack Clement’s final album, For Once and For All (out July 15 on IRS Nashville).
- John Jeremiah Sullivan of The New York Times wrote a fascinating piece on Geeshie Wiley and Elvie Thomas, the blues women who “changed American music and then vanished without a trace.”
- Taylor Swift interrupted Seth Rogen’s opening monologue on Saturday Night Live.
- Our friend Stephen Deusner interviewed Noah Gundersen for CMT Edge.
- Kenny Rogers has come in at #36 on CMT’s “All-Time Top 40: Artist’s Choice” countdown, “a list of the greatest-ever artists chosen by country stars themselves.”
- Actress and aspiring country musician Lucy Hale will be the face of the Macy’s apparel line, American Rag.
- Craig Morgan is headed out on his 11th overseas USO tour.
- Flooding in Birmingham, Alabama forced the cancellation of a Lady Antebellum concert late last week.
- The cerebral C.M. Wilcox has a new Quotable Country up over at Country California.
- John Marks, program director for Sirius XM station The Highway, is “Nashville’s newest hit maker.”
- Florida Georgia Line is back in the studio.
- The Calgary Herald published an interview with Jimmy Rankin about his new solo album, Back Road Paradise.
- The Oak Ridge Boys’ Duane Allen is getting a bridge named after him in Texas.
- Grand Ole Opry historian Byron Fay argues that the name-recognition of Opry performers is declining.
- Martina McBride performed “In the Basement” on Arsenio.
- Miranda Lambert played “Automatic” on The Ellen DeGeneres Show.
- Tim McGraw isn’t waiting for his latest single to peak on the radio charts before releasing a new duet (“Meanwhile, Back at Mama’s”) with Faith Hill.
- Jonathan Pappalardo gushes about Nickel Creek’s latest offering, A Dotted Line, for My Kind of Country: “With purely acoustic instruments and lush not aggressive vocals, they make this acoustic progressive bluegrass the way it’s supposed to sound. That they do it with exceptional lyrical compositions is just an added bonus. Their asaterical lyrics have always been their downfall, but they’ve grown by leaps and bounds as writers on A Dotted Line as well as singers and musicians. Let’s hope it’s not another nine years before we’re gifted with their next set of new music.”
- Stream Farewell Transmission: The Music of Jason Molina. The compilation features Jim & Jennie & The Pinetops, Catherine Irwin (Freakwater), and more.
- Has the bra-country revolution begun?
- The Tennessean did a story on the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum’s new expansion.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Jess Moskaluke – “Cheap Wine and Cigarettes”
JJ Heller – “I Dream of You”
Ross Cooper – “Give It Time”
Nickel Creek – “Rest of My Life” (live at WNYC)
Foghorn Stringband – “Outshine the Sun” (live performance at the WAMU Bluegrass Country studio)
- luckyoldsun: Looks like CMT is pulling a "surprise" for its Artists' Choice countdown. They're coming up on #2 but there are …
- Jim Z: " Luke Bryan (Best Country Male Artist), Brantley Gilbert’s Just as I Am (Best Country Album), Carrie Underwood (Best Country …
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.