Courtyard Houds at SXSW; Kellie Pickler Plans to Shutter Fan Club; Free Thirty Tigers Sampler
- Texas Music Matters posted a recording of Courtyard Hounds performing the song “Then Again” during one of its SXSW gigs.
- Speaking of Courtyard Hounds, Jim Caligiuri caught the sisters’ set at Antone’s during SXSW and concluded, “while the musicianship was superb, the subject matter seemed in dire need of kick that never appeared.”
- Texas Music Matters also posted a three-song set from Colin Gilmore. Good stuff.
- Barry Mazor interviewed Texas fiddle luminary Johnny Gimble for his latest piece in The Wall Street Journal.
For the past decade, however, there have been some physical restraints on Mr. Gimble’s playing. As he explained, “I had a stroke in December of ’99, and it affected my left side—my fingering side. I played a gig with old Floyd Domino on the piano, and he said, ‘Johnny, play “Fiddlin’ Around,” a song of mine that has a difficult fingering. And I had to say, ‘But I can’t reach the S.O.B. now.’ A fiddler in Dallas heard that I’d said that and said, ‘Now you know how the rest of us feel!'”
- Charlie Daniels on Taylor Swift:
“I have great admiration for Taylor Swift. I hold her in very high regard for a number of reasons. First she writes her own stuff, she writes about what she knows.”
- The music from the Charlie Daniels GEICO commericial is available as a free ringtone.
- Music photographer Jim Marshall (that guy who photographed Johnny Cash‘s finger) passed away at the age of 74.
- American Songwriter‘s Michael Kosser on the evolving business of songwriting:
I do believe that, sooner or later, learning to do music business on the Web will be as important as hanging out on Music Square West is today.
- Brooks & Dunn are letting fans vote on a list of six past hits to determine which song will be the duo’s last ACM Awards performance.
- Kellie Pickler announced plans to shut down her fan club and allow everyone to access currently exclusive features.
- Country California Fake News: Jessica Simpson Preps Bluegrass Debut
Although she’s working on her high loathsome tenor, Simpson cautions that fans shouldn’t expect her Rounder debut to be bluegrass in the strictest sense. “We’re not talking Jimmy Monroe and Bill Martin here, but more like the Notorious Steeldusters meets, uh, Jessica Simpson. Sort of a newgrassy type thing, with drum loops over the, uh… banjo is the plucky circle one, right? People will really like it if they give it a chance.”
- Tiger Woods and LeAnn Rimes used to date.
- Can the CD be saved, and more importantly, should it be? Chet Flippo addresses the issue in his latest Nashville Skyline column.
- John Rich loaned his house to Gretchen Wilson last night to celebrate the release of I Got Your Country Right Here on her own label, Redneck Records. More importantly than that though, GAC’s Tom Roland lets us know that Rich has a bar in his elevator.
- What do you think about singers sitting in on songwriting sessions and taking credit with only minimal participation? My Kind of Country wants to know.
- Thirty Tigers partnered with Rhapsody to give away a free 20-song sampler that includes songs from Chuck Mead, Elizabeth Cook, James McMurtry and more.
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."