Country Stars Salute Lynyrd Synyrd; Billy Joe Shaver Pleads No Contest; Zac Brown’s iTunes Celebrity Playlist Podcast
- Oh July 20, Walmart will release Sweet Home Alabama — The Country Music Tribute to Lynyrd Skynyrd, which includes tracks from Eric Church, Randy Houser, Uncle Kracker, Shooter Jennings, Jamey Johnson, Randy Montana, Eli Young Band, and Ashley Ray.
- Ricks Skaggs is scheduled to release his next album on Aug. 24. Titled Mosiac, the album is described as mixing “elements of Country music with Beatles-esque melody and lyrics that speak to Skaggs’ faith.”
- New Little Big Town music is also due out on Aug. 24 with the release of the band’s album The Reason Why.
- Texas Music Matters posted an mp3 of Kevin Russell, from The Gourds and Shinyribs, performing “The Devil’s Song” in their studio.
- As part of a no contest plea for misdemeanor gun charges, Billy Joe Shaver will pay a $1,000 fine and forfeit the gun he used to to shoot Billy Coker in the cheek in 2007.
- In Peter Cooper’s profile of the new Dierks Bentley project, IBMA executive director Dan Hays poses an interesting question:
“This could be a big deal for a number of reasons,” said International Bluegrass Music Association executive director Dan Hays. “But there’s a piece of it that’s a little puzzling. For Dierks to want to pull what’s in his heart out and put it on an album and tour with it is a wonderful gesture, but that’s what artists should be doing. That should be the norm, rather than us scratching our heads and wondering, ‘How does this happen?’”
- The recently deceased Jimmy Dean will be laid to rest in a $350,000 piano-shaped granite mausoleum that he purchased several years ago, according to CMT, with the inscription, “Here lies one hell of a man.”
- Tim McGraw and Faith Hill sold their Beverly Hills house for 9.5 million.
- Watch Blake Shelton‘s new video for the song “All About Tonight.”
- Foo Fighters guitarist Chris Shiflett revealed details of a new band, The Dead Peasants, he’s started to indulge his love of Americana and classic country. Look for the band’s debut on July 12.
- The YWCA Celebrity Auction, which took place during the CMA Music Festival and was hosted by Martina McBride, brought in $102,289.
- CMT’s Chris Parton introduced the new video for the Cadillac Sky song “Hangman.”
- Former roughneck Trace Adkins talks oil with The Huffington Post. (via NashvilleGab)
Q: Why did you quit?
I wanted to try [singing]. In ’91, things were getting a little tough in the oil field and Global Marine was starting to lay some people off. I talked to my wife and said, ‘hey, you know, I think I’m going to take a voluntary layoff and let’s go to Nashville and see what we can do’ and that’s what we did.
- Adkins was also busy on Monday night giving a 20-minute commencement speech to 220 graduates at Piedmont High in Concord, N.C.
- For iTunes’ latest Celebrity Playlist Podcast, Zac Brown is joined by his dad to talk about their favorite songs. (iTunes)
- With Up On The Ridge, The Washington Post‘s Chris Richards says Dierks Bentley has “discovered an excellence previously untapped.”
Music Fog: Kevin Welch – “Answer Me That”
- Louie: "Brotherly Love," IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith's …
- Erik North: A big loss for not only the Nashville songwriting community, but for songwriting communities everywhere, in my opinion, that Paul …
- luckyoldsun: If they're only allowed one modern inductee per year in the H-o-F, then there's a backlog developing. You have Skaggs, …
- Leeann Ward: I'm not an ETC fan, but I do love "Brotherly Love" with Keith Whitley.
- luckyoldsun: It's got to be "What I'd Say." (I think that's the title.) There was some question, I believe, over whether …
- Paul W Dennis: probably "Nobody Falls Like A Fool" or "Silent Treatment"
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Where in heck's name is "That Was A Close One"?!?!? It's the guy's best song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrR_2rXiKA0
- Cody: Love seeing ETC getting some credit! My five, in no particular order at first; Crowd Around the Corner Home So Fine I Have …
- Juli Thanki: I think it's technically a Keith Whitley song, but I've always been fond of his duet with ETC, "Brotherly Love."
- luckyoldsun: Lots of very good artists have not had anywhere near the radio play and hits that Lee Ann Womack has …