Country Stars Salute Lynyrd Synyrd; Billy Joe Shaver Pleads No Contest; Zac Brown’s iTunes Celebrity Playlist Podcast
- Oh July 20, Walmart will release Sweet Home Alabama — The Country Music Tribute to Lynyrd Skynyrd, which includes tracks from Eric Church, Randy Houser, Uncle Kracker, Shooter Jennings, Jamey Johnson, Randy Montana, Eli Young Band, and Ashley Ray.
- Ricks Skaggs is scheduled to release his next album on Aug. 24. Titled Mosiac, the album is described as mixing “elements of Country music with Beatles-esque melody and lyrics that speak to Skaggs’ faith.”
- New Little Big Town music is also due out on Aug. 24 with the release of the band’s album The Reason Why.
- Texas Music Matters posted an mp3 of Kevin Russell, from The Gourds and Shinyribs, performing “The Devil’s Song” in their studio.
- As part of a no contest plea for misdemeanor gun charges, Billy Joe Shaver will pay a $1,000 fine and forfeit the gun he used to to shoot Billy Coker in the cheek in 2007.
- In Peter Cooper’s profile of the new Dierks Bentley project, IBMA executive director Dan Hays poses an interesting question:
“This could be a big deal for a number of reasons,” said International Bluegrass Music Association executive director Dan Hays. “But there’s a piece of it that’s a little puzzling. For Dierks to want to pull what’s in his heart out and put it on an album and tour with it is a wonderful gesture, but that’s what artists should be doing. That should be the norm, rather than us scratching our heads and wondering, ‘How does this happen?’”
- The recently deceased Jimmy Dean will be laid to rest in a $350,000 piano-shaped granite mausoleum that he purchased several years ago, according to CMT, with the inscription, “Here lies one hell of a man.”
- Tim McGraw and Faith Hill sold their Beverly Hills house for 9.5 million.
- Watch Blake Shelton‘s new video for the song “All About Tonight.”
- Foo Fighters guitarist Chris Shiflett revealed details of a new band, The Dead Peasants, he’s started to indulge his love of Americana and classic country. Look for the band’s debut on July 12.
- The YWCA Celebrity Auction, which took place during the CMA Music Festival and was hosted by Martina McBride, brought in $102,289.
- CMT’s Chris Parton introduced the new video for the Cadillac Sky song “Hangman.”
- Former roughneck Trace Adkins talks oil with The Huffington Post. (via NashvilleGab)
Q: Why did you quit?
I wanted to try [singing]. In ’91, things were getting a little tough in the oil field and Global Marine was starting to lay some people off. I talked to my wife and said, ‘hey, you know, I think I’m going to take a voluntary layoff and let’s go to Nashville and see what we can do’ and that’s what we did.
- Adkins was also busy on Monday night giving a 20-minute commencement speech to 220 graduates at Piedmont High in Concord, N.C.
- For iTunes’ latest Celebrity Playlist Podcast, Zac Brown is joined by his dad to talk about their favorite songs. (iTunes)
- With Up On The Ridge, The Washington Post‘s Chris Richards says Dierks Bentley has “discovered an excellence previously untapped.”
Music Fog: Kevin Welch – “Answer Me That”
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.