Country Stars Salute Lynyrd Synyrd; Billy Joe Shaver Pleads No Contest; Zac Brown’s iTunes Celebrity Playlist Podcast
- Oh July 20, Walmart will release Sweet Home Alabama — The Country Music Tribute to Lynyrd Skynyrd, which includes tracks from Eric Church, Randy Houser, Uncle Kracker, Shooter Jennings, Jamey Johnson, Randy Montana, Eli Young Band, and Ashley Ray.
- Ricks Skaggs is scheduled to release his next album on Aug. 24. Titled Mosiac, the album is described as mixing “elements of Country music with Beatles-esque melody and lyrics that speak to Skaggs’ faith.”
- New Little Big Town music is also due out on Aug. 24 with the release of the band’s album The Reason Why.
- Texas Music Matters posted an mp3 of Kevin Russell, from The Gourds and Shinyribs, performing “The Devil’s Song” in their studio.
- As part of a no contest plea for misdemeanor gun charges, Billy Joe Shaver will pay a $1,000 fine and forfeit the gun he used to to shoot Billy Coker in the cheek in 2007.
- In Peter Cooper’s profile of the new Dierks Bentley project, IBMA executive director Dan Hays poses an interesting question:
“This could be a big deal for a number of reasons,” said International Bluegrass Music Association executive director Dan Hays. “But there’s a piece of it that’s a little puzzling. For Dierks to want to pull what’s in his heart out and put it on an album and tour with it is a wonderful gesture, but that’s what artists should be doing. That should be the norm, rather than us scratching our heads and wondering, ‘How does this happen?’”
- The recently deceased Jimmy Dean will be laid to rest in a $350,000 piano-shaped granite mausoleum that he purchased several years ago, according to CMT, with the inscription, “Here lies one hell of a man.”
- Tim McGraw and Faith Hill sold their Beverly Hills house for 9.5 million.
- Watch Blake Shelton‘s new video for the song “All About Tonight.”
- Foo Fighters guitarist Chris Shiflett revealed details of a new band, The Dead Peasants, he’s started to indulge his love of Americana and classic country. Look for the band’s debut on July 12.
- The YWCA Celebrity Auction, which took place during the CMA Music Festival and was hosted by Martina McBride, brought in $102,289.
- CMT’s Chris Parton introduced the new video for the Cadillac Sky song “Hangman.”
- Former roughneck Trace Adkins talks oil with The Huffington Post. (via NashvilleGab)
Q: Why did you quit?
I wanted to try [singing]. In ’91, things were getting a little tough in the oil field and Global Marine was starting to lay some people off. I talked to my wife and said, ‘hey, you know, I think I’m going to take a voluntary layoff and let’s go to Nashville and see what we can do’ and that’s what we did.
- Adkins was also busy on Monday night giving a 20-minute commencement speech to 220 graduates at Piedmont High in Concord, N.C.
- For iTunes’ latest Celebrity Playlist Podcast, Zac Brown is joined by his dad to talk about their favorite songs. (iTunes)
- With Up On The Ridge, The Washington Post‘s Chris Richards says Dierks Bentley has “discovered an excellence previously untapped.”
Music Fog: Kevin Welch – “Answer Me That”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.