Country Radio Returns to NYC; Willie Nelson, Jerry Douglas to Play New Orleans Jazz Fest; Album Releases
- New York City has its first country radio station in 17 years: Cumulus launched “Nash 94.7” on Monday. An excerpt from a Wall Street Journal article on the new station: In addition to building a NASH-branded network of stations, Cumulus also plans to launch a NASH country lifestyle magazine, through Modern Luxury, the magazine company it operates…The company is also exploring ways to bring the NASH country brand to cable television. Original radio content produced by Cumulus for the brand will also be sold to non-Cumulus stations under the NASH brand.
- Download tracks from Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell, Amy Cook, and more.
- Omnivore Recordings posted “Sunshine Boy,” a track from the forthcoming Townes Van Zandt collection, Sunshine Boy: The Unheard Studio Sessions and Demos 1971-1972.
- Jana Kramer and Brantley Gilbert are engaged.
- Carrie Underwood will perform at the Grammys.
- CM Wilcox posted a new Quotable Country.
- Holly Williams kicks off her U.S. tour on Thursday. On January 30, she’ll appear on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
- Anyone want a banjo made out of an old bedpan?
- Thompson Square will release its next album, Just Feels Good, on March 26. Check out the track listing here.
- Willie Nelson, Little Big Town, The Mavericks, Jerry Douglas, Martha Redbone, Pokey LaFarge, and the Del McCoury Band with Preservation Hall Jazz Band are a few of the acts scheduled to perform at this year’s New Orleans Jazz Fest. Here’s the full lineup.
- Peter Cooper writes about Jerry Lee Lewis’ Opry debut in January of 1973.
- Planners for The National Blues Museum are targeting a 2014 opening in downtown St. Louis: The 23,000-square-foot museum will feature 16,000 square feet of exhibit space along with a classroom and small theater. It will cover the history of blues and its influence on rock ’n’ roll, country, jazz, R&B and other music forms, with a focus on interactive elements. Among the areas slated to be included are Evolution of the Blues, Blues Icons & Legends and a Blues Lab.
- Punch Brothers were featured on ExpressMilwaukee.com.
- Bill Evans, The Brothers Comatose, and The Earl Brothers are a few of the acts slated to play the San Francisco Bluegrass and Old-Time Festival this February.
- Nick Morrison lists five blues songs for chilly winter weather.
- 77,000 tickets for George Strait’s upcoming Houston show were sold in two minutes.
- Jason Aldean sold out Madison Square Garden in ten minutes.
- CMT’s Craig Shelburne interviewed Gary Allan.
- The Society for the Preservation of Bluegrass Music in America (SPBGMA) announced the nominees for their 39th annual awards show. They also announced the winners of the Midwest Bluegrass Music Awards earlier this month.
- Luther Dickinson was interviewed by Brian T. Atkinson for CMT Edge.
- Album releases:
Buck Owens – Honky Tonk Man
Don Rich – Sings George Jones
Kris Kristofferson – Feeling Mortal (iTunes only; widespread release next week)
Gary Allan – Set You Free
Ted Russell Kamp – Night Owl
Daniel Romano – Come Cry with Me
Henry Wagons – “Expecting Company?”
The Shadowboxers – Red Room
Max Gomez – Rule the World
The Lone Bellow – The Lone Bellow
Tim McGraw – Tim McGraw & Friends
John Driskell Hopkins & Balsam Range – Daylight
Jimbo Mathus & The Tri-State Coalition – White Buffalo
Carrie Rodriguez – Give Me All You Got
Randy Houser – How Country Feels
Chicago Farmer – Backenforth, IL
Overmountain Men – The Next Best Thing
Various Artists – They All Played for Us: Arhoolie Records’ 50th Anniversary Celebration
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …