Country-Pop Singer Dan Seals Passed Away At 61
- Country-pop singer Dan Seals passed away at the age of 61 after a battle with cancer. He turned to country music in the 1980s and had 11 number one singles that decade. Watch the video for one of his hits, “Everything That Glitters (Is Not Gold),” on YouTube.
- The Grande Ole Opry released Opry Country Classics, a new, two-disc collection of some of the finest songs ever performed and recorded on the stage of the Ryman Auditorium. (via That Nashville Sound)
- Jason Aldean, Rodney Atkins, Jamey Johnson, Jake Owen and Taylor Swift are the latest list of performers to join the previously announced lineup for the 2009 CMA Music Festival.
- Little Darlin’ Records co-founder Aubrey Mayhew passed away at a Nashville hospice at the age of 81. He initially started the label with Johnny Paycheck as a vehicle to release and promote Paycheck’s own music, but later expanded to include artists like Jeannie C. Riley, Don Williams and Lightnin’ Hopkins.
- Jake Owen wants fans to know he’s more than just a pretty face.
- Ricky Skaggs recently re-released his 1982 album Highways and Heartaches and talked to Craig Shelburne about changing the lyrics to a couple of songs when he originally recorded them, the circumstances surrounding his first contract and where he plans to take his music in the future.
- The self-titled debut from Those Darlins‘ will be released on July 7. (MySpace)
- April 7th could be the day Apple hikes the price of popular songs to $1.29. On the flip side, music by newer artists could be priced as low as 69 cents a song.
- At 88, Little Jimmy Dickens is one of the last links to a past era of country music. He has recently suffered several health issues, but Joe Edwards says his illness hasn’t diminished his drive to perform.
- How badass are Waylon Jennings, Hank III and Gary LeVox? Find out with Farce The Music’s Badass-O-Meter.
- CMT posted interview snippets and a couple of songs from the CMT Crossroads episode featuring Shooter Jennings and Jamey Johnson. The first song is “Somewhere Between Jennings and Jones,” which was being used to promote the show, and the second is “It Ain’t Easy.”
- The new Grand Ole Opry concert series Opry Country Classics gets started tonight. Larry Gatlin & the Gatlin Brothers will host the debut show, which also stars Loretta Lynn, Lorrie Morgan and Mandy Barnett.
Watch the brand new video for Eric Church‘s “I Love Your Love the Most.”
- Donald: LOS, I need to second your mention of Ballad of Forty Dollars.
- Paul W Dennis: Best wishes for Jim Ed Brown - there's very few left from his generation of country singers John Morthland's article on …
- Paul W Dennis: That looks like Harold Morrison playing the dobro behind Jeannie C Riley on "Harper Valley PTA"
- luckyoldsun: Got to go with "The Ballad of Forty Dollars." Funny, if you saw the title and started listening to that song …
- Randy Prewitt: I would have to say my favorite Tom T.Hall song is "The Day Clayton Delaney Died.He has so many great …
- KathyP: "Faster Horses." Which reminds me I need to add it to my digital library.
- Leeann Ward: "Me and Jesus" and "Harper Valley PTA" are my favorites, I think. But I agree with Paul that it's not …
- Chad: "I Love" of course!
- nm: I enjoyed that Nashville recap from the Fug Girls, but the absolutely best recaps are in the Nashville Scene, by …
- Donald: "Don't Forget the Coffee, Billy Joe" is just one of my many favourites!