Country Music Writers Remember Eddy Arnold
- As remarkable as Eddy Arnold‘s country music career was, Chet Flippo says, “his lasting legacy will be that he made the world safe for country pop music.” Flippo also pulled a snippet from a CMT interview where Arnold recalled one of the first times he recognized the split between pop and hillbilly music.
- Peter Cooper says goodbye to Eddy Arnold by remembering his life and career, and Bill Friskics-Warren says intimacy was his calling card and “at the heart of Arnold’s appeal was his lustrous, purling singing voice.”
- Danielle “Bella” Romeo is a 17 year-old high school sophomore who suffers from a rare disorder that causes her to endure a rainbow of seizures. Chris Cagle was introduced to Bella at a benefit concert late last year and just recently escorted the high schooler to the prom in Victoria, TX.
- Former oil roughneck Trace Adkins wrote and recorded a song called “Black Gold” for an upcoming TV series by the same name. The show will follow three crews around West Texas on their quest to discover oil.
- Galleywinter has yet another fantastic edition of 20 Questions. This time their musical guest of honor is Matt Hillyer, lead singer of the Dallas-based band Eleven Hundred Springs.
GW: What do you see as the main difference between the music you’re making and the stuff you hear on mainstream radio?
Matt: We’re trying desperately to get back to the heart and soul of country music. You’ve got to get the blues back in to it. That heartfelt feeling that rings true for everyone. We’re trying to keep the formula simple in hopes it will be classic…or at least pay tribute to something classic.
- Adam Hood‘s Different Groove album was released a year ago and to mark the occasion Little Dog Records released an acoustic version of Different Groove through their download store.
- Visit WSM Online to listen to Justin Towne’s Earle‘s Opry debut from 5/2. While you’re there, peruse the archives for a lot of other great country music.
- Owen Roberts has a Q&A with Andy Friedman, who has become a fixture in the Brooklyn country music scene with his band the Other Failures.
- Thirty-five years ago a record label broke up the band Mudcrutch. Half the band, including bass player Tom Petty, went on to form The Heartbreakers. You could say that they had some success. Recently Tom Petty wanted to get that original band back together and record an album. Their self-titled debut was released on April 29th and Hickory Wind’s Sean Moore describes it as “a sunny, sometimes spirited slice of country-rock.”
- Jennifer Hanson‘s full-lenghth album titled Thankful will be released as a digital exclusive on June 3rd.
- Detroit Free Press has a five question Q&A with Trisha Yearwood in which she describes something she calls the “Emmylou factor.”
I’m such a fan (of Emmylou Harris), and she is a great lady and she represents musical integrity. We don’t live in a world where that’s treasured that much. I’ve had that thought of: “I want to record this song. I think it’s a big hit, but it’s really kind of cheesy — should I record it or not?”
And I’ve thought that if I ran into Emmylou Harris on the street and it was a big hit, would she say “That’s really awesome” or cross to the other side of the street?
- Check out Yallwire.com for their newest internet reality series, The Long Road to Nashville. The cameras follow Jonalee White for 20 episodes as she tries to make it in the country music industry. She travels to events like CRS, SXSW, Key West Songwriters’ Festival and the CMA Music Festival and conducts interviews with other notable country singers. There’s currently an introductory video and two episodes online.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …