Country Music Lifer George Jones To Get New Box-Set From Time Life
- Time Life plans to release Legends of American Music: George Jones, a three-CD boxed set covering the Hall of Famer’s career, on May 20.
- John Goodspeed touches on a few country bending performances at SXSW, including: Shelby Lynne, Bruce Robison, Joanne Cotten, Deana Carter, and a few bands from The British Invasion with a twang.
- The other side of Miranda Lambert:
“I had 20 chicken eggs I was hatching in an incubator. I got home Sunday, and the one chicken that hatched died. I cried all day about my chicken dying,” she says.
- Craig Shelburne has a list of six bands he saw at SXSW that he recommends you check out as well. Follow the link to the Buddy Miller video, that’s some pretty sweet stuff.
- Shelburne also says the new Hayes Carll album, due out on April 8th, is well worth the wait.
- Long live the songs of Cindy Walker, whom Charles Haymes labels the greatest female songwriter in country music history. (via ggcolumn)
- On the subject of great women in country music, coming in at #96 on Country Universe’s “100 Greatest Women” feature is Allison Moorer.
- The Tennessean’s Beverly Keel says the public image of Alan Jackson as a shy, laid-back and easygoing man is misleading. “The real Jackson is also smart, quick-witted, strongly opinionated and sometimes stubborn,” she says in her profile of the critically acclaimed singer. Jackson himself describes his life since becoming a celebrity:
“Since then, my life as a recording artist and celebrity, it’s unreal. It’s not normal after that. . . . I go to the grocery store about once a year. I lose touch with all the things that my fans are doing, everyday life things that they are just going through to get by. I’m totally out of touch with that, but at the same time, I think I had enough life experience that I can still stay grounded with that, I guess, and still have enough information there to continue to write songs that are simple and they can connect with.”
- If you haven’t heard, Carrie Underwood became the most recent member of the Grand Ole Opry over the weekend and Matt C. declared her the perfect choice.
- Another one bites the dust–Harp magazine folds after news that their parent company is filing for bankruptcy.
- Vanessa Franko says Dierks Bentley could possibly try out some of his new material acoustically this year at Stagecoach.
- Nashville singer/songwriter Jason Rogers won top honors for his song “Breathe Into Me” in the country category for the international Song of the Year competition for 2007. You can find out more about the competition for their “About Us” page.
- Linda from Still Is Still Moving posted pictures from Willie Nelson’s performances last Thursday in Waco and Friday in Austin. It’s nice to see the red, white, and blue guitar strap has returned to it’s rightful spot around his neck.
- Video premiere of Taylor Swift’s “Picture to Burn” on AOL Music.
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …