Country Music Hall Includes Contemporary Artists; Carrie Underwood Variety Show Tonight; Do Grammys Get Bluegrass?
- The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum plans to update its main exhibit next May with a display dedicated to contemporary artists like Brad Paisley, Taylor Swift, and Keith Urban along with another cased dedicated to Americana and contemporary bluegrass music.
- The Carrie Underwood hosted variety show “An All-Star Holiday Special” airs tonight.
- Trace Adkins joined the cast of a new TV show set to air in 2010. The show, titled Tough Trade, revolves around the family Tucker, which consists of three generations of country singers. Adkins is set to play a hard-nosed bodyguard for the family.
- In an interview with The Boot, Trace Adkins commented on songs he turned down that became hits for other people:
The first one I can recall is a song called ‘Night to Remember,’ and Joe Diffie had a hit with that. And I’ve had a couple of songs that I passed on that Gary Allan had hits with. I can’t even remember what those were now by title. And then the most recent one was ‘In Color.’ I actually cut ‘In Color,’ and then Jamey [Johnson] approached me and said he got a record deal and they wanted ‘In Color’ to be his first single and could he have it back? I said, ‘Sure.’
- Luke Bryan is in the top three most country artists, Darius Rucker terms George Strait‘s brand of music “dirt country,” and Kellie Pickler digs her some “Willie’s Place.” All that more in this week’s edition of Country California’s Quotable Country.
- The Country Universe staff continued their countdown of the best albums of the decade with numbers 40-31.
- C.M. Wilcox parodied Hank Williams Jr.‘s song “Family Tradition” for Farce the Music:
Country music singers
Have always been a real close family
But lately some of the critics
Have been getting a little too mean
Those nitwits say
We’re headed in a sucky direction
Read all about it in the online edition
- Jerry Douglas, Richie McDonald, and Charlie Daniels each landed albums on The Tennessean‘s list of stocking-worthy Christmas releases.
- Ken Tucker introduced a new sibling trio that goes by The Band Perry. (MySpace)
- Prefacing next week’s release of the movie Crazy Heart, The New York Times‘ Mary Rochlin profiled T Bone Burnett, who produced the music for the film.
- Charlie Sizemore remembers Jack Cooke:
And he wasn’t a show-off. I saw him play guitar only once and this was fascinating. He could flat play – his approach being similar to Del’s. Hard to explain, but you guitar players understand where I’m coming from. Heavy on the top strings and right in that place in the beat that makes you hear a click. I was playing banjo and he cut a groove so wide I couldn’t have gotten out of time if I tried.
- In an interview with Barry Mazor, Kris Kristofferson commented on his recent resurgence.
“This embracing of me here now, warts and all, and no matter what I believe politically—I think about it all the time. I loved everything about Nashville music. The songwriters—Willie, Johnny Cash, Mel Tillis, Tom T. Hall, Shel Silverstein, Roger Miller, John Hartford, people who’d been my idols—became my friends. It was a little community of people who were serious about songwriting, who loved songwriting and songwriters. I learned from every one of them. Now people say that was a ‘golden age.’ And it was.”
- With the exception of Rhonda Vincent, Bob Cherry doesn’t believe the Grammy nominees for bluegrass album accurately represent bluegrass.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …