Country Album Sales Down 16.3 Percent in 2007
- Total album sales in the U.S are down 15 percent in 2007, but country music album sales dropped even further in 2007–to 16.3 percent–and no country artist made the top-10 digital chart in 2007. Sounds pretty bleak, but then again, so does a lot of the music. Dig.
- Charley Pride will receive a lifetime achievement award at the 2008 Mississippi Gov.’s Awards on Feb. 8 for Excellence in the Arts. The only artist to sell more albums at RCA Records is Elvis Presley.
- Take a guess at which album topped the Washington Post‘s Top Albums of 2007 list.
- Chet Flippo digs the new duet album from Anne Murray.
The world could sorely use a bit of beauty just now, and I’ve found some. Anne Murray is releasing a gorgeous CD of duets with some of her favorite women singers, and it’s an absolute joy. Murray has quietly gone about her business for years of recording songs she loves and, along the way, has racked up an admirable country music chart history with such No. 1 country hits as “Could I Have This Dance,” “I Just Fall in Love Again” and “A Little Good News.” It’s hard now to believe that she first charted country in 1970 with “Snowbird.” How time flies.
- Is the Tim McGraw for governor story really gaining legs?
- Galleywinter’s Brad declares “Texas Music” of the ’90s and early ’00s dead, but says 2007 marked a “changing of the guard, a rebirth…the start of a renaissance.”
You can’t fake or copy the authenticity of Ryan Bingham, the soul of Adam Hood, the depth of Josh Grider, the melodic genius of Randy Rogers, or even the firepower of Miranda Lambert…so don’t try. Be yourself…people will dig you all the more.
- Little Big Town gained a new member. Actually, band members Phillip Sweet and wife Rebecca had a baby girl, Penelopi Jane Sweet.
- The third installment of Country Universe‘s “Best Debut Singles of All Time” features some fantastic songs an artists. Can’t wait to see who made the Top 10.
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."