Country Album Sales Down 16.3 Percent in 2007
- Total album sales in the U.S are down 15 percent in 2007, but country music album sales dropped even further in 2007–to 16.3 percent–and no country artist made the top-10 digital chart in 2007. Sounds pretty bleak, but then again, so does a lot of the music. Dig.
- Charley Pride will receive a lifetime achievement award at the 2008 Mississippi Gov.’s Awards on Feb. 8 for Excellence in the Arts. The only artist to sell more albums at RCA Records is Elvis Presley.
- Take a guess at which album topped the Washington Post‘s Top Albums of 2007 list.
- Chet Flippo digs the new duet album from Anne Murray.
The world could sorely use a bit of beauty just now, and I’ve found some. Anne Murray is releasing a gorgeous CD of duets with some of her favorite women singers, and it’s an absolute joy. Murray has quietly gone about her business for years of recording songs she loves and, along the way, has racked up an admirable country music chart history with such No. 1 country hits as “Could I Have This Dance,” “I Just Fall in Love Again” and “A Little Good News.” It’s hard now to believe that she first charted country in 1970 with “Snowbird.” How time flies.
- Is the Tim McGraw for governor story really gaining legs?
- Galleywinter’s Brad declares “Texas Music” of the ’90s and early ’00s dead, but says 2007 marked a “changing of the guard, a rebirth…the start of a renaissance.”
You can’t fake or copy the authenticity of Ryan Bingham, the soul of Adam Hood, the depth of Josh Grider, the melodic genius of Randy Rogers, or even the firepower of Miranda Lambert…so don’t try. Be yourself…people will dig you all the more.
- Little Big Town gained a new member. Actually, band members Phillip Sweet and wife Rebecca had a baby girl, Penelopi Jane Sweet.
- The third installment of Country Universe‘s “Best Debut Singles of All Time” features some fantastic songs an artists. Can’t wait to see who made the Top 10.
- Paul W Dennis: This album is next on my must-acquire list. I remember listening to Mac on the WWVA Big Jamboree in the …
- Paul W Dennis: I don't usually agree with Luckyoldsun but he's right - "Girl In A Country Song" reeks. On the other …
- andythedrifter: "It Sure Can Get Cold In Des Moines"
- Donald: LOS, I need to second your mention of Ballad of Forty Dollars.
- Paul W Dennis: Best wishes for Jim Ed Brown - there's very few left from his generation of country singers John Morthland's article on …
- Paul W Dennis: That looks like Harold Morrison playing the dobro behind Jeannie C Riley on "Harper Valley PTA"
- luckyoldsun: Got to go with "The Ballad of Forty Dollars." Funny, if you saw the title and started listening to that song …
- Randy Prewitt: I would have to say my favorite Tom T.Hall song is "The Day Clayton Delaney Died.He has so many great …
- KathyP: "Faster Horses." Which reminds me I need to add it to my digital library.
- Leeann Ward: "Me and Jesus" and "Harper Valley PTA" are my favorites, I think. But I agree with Paul that it's not …