Country Album Sales Down 16.3 Percent in 2007
- Total album sales in the U.S are down 15 percent in 2007, but country music album sales dropped even further in 2007–to 16.3 percent–and no country artist made the top-10 digital chart in 2007. Sounds pretty bleak, but then again, so does a lot of the music. Dig.
- Charley Pride will receive a lifetime achievement award at the 2008 Mississippi Gov.’s Awards on Feb. 8 for Excellence in the Arts. The only artist to sell more albums at RCA Records is Elvis Presley.
- Take a guess at which album topped the Washington Post‘s Top Albums of 2007 list.
- Chet Flippo digs the new duet album from Anne Murray.
The world could sorely use a bit of beauty just now, and I’ve found some. Anne Murray is releasing a gorgeous CD of duets with some of her favorite women singers, and it’s an absolute joy. Murray has quietly gone about her business for years of recording songs she loves and, along the way, has racked up an admirable country music chart history with such No. 1 country hits as “Could I Have This Dance,” “I Just Fall in Love Again” and “A Little Good News.” It’s hard now to believe that she first charted country in 1970 with “Snowbird.” How time flies.
- Is the Tim McGraw for governor story really gaining legs?
- Galleywinter’s Brad declares “Texas Music” of the ’90s and early ’00s dead, but says 2007 marked a “changing of the guard, a rebirth…the start of a renaissance.”
You can’t fake or copy the authenticity of Ryan Bingham, the soul of Adam Hood, the depth of Josh Grider, the melodic genius of Randy Rogers, or even the firepower of Miranda Lambert…so don’t try. Be yourself…people will dig you all the more.
- Little Big Town gained a new member. Actually, band members Phillip Sweet and wife Rebecca had a baby girl, Penelopi Jane Sweet.
- The third installment of Country Universe‘s “Best Debut Singles of All Time” features some fantastic songs an artists. Can’t wait to see who made the Top 10.
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.
- luckyoldsun: Maybe he was just changing out of his hunting clothes. At least he didn't do the full Randy...um Monty.