CMT to ACA: Actually, We Were First; Joe Diffie’s Bluegrass Album Due Out Next Week; Gene Watson and Darrell Scott on NPR
- CMT didn’t take too kindly to the American Country Awards‘ claim that it was “the first and only country music awards show where fans determine all the winners.”
“While CMT congratulates this mysterious organization on its first awards show, we are amused by their self-proclaimed title as the first and only fan-voted award show. All within the country music community know that CMT has produced country music’s only fan-voted awards show for nearly a decade. The CMT Music Awards were the first of their kind, engaging tens of millions of fans in the show’s outcome every year. It will continue to work hard to maintain its reputation as country music’s sensational, fan-voted and over the top celebration, attracting A-list talent. While we wish this new show every success, we would like to take this opportunity to remind them that the CMT Music Awards have been entirely fan-voted since their inception.”
- A new Opry-branded clothing line is set to make its debut on QVC this Friday.
- Free Downloads: The title track from Cory Morrow‘s latest release, Brand New Me, is available as a free download on Amazon, and The Secret Sisters have the iTunes free single of the week with their rendition of “My Heart Skips a Beat” (iTunes).
- Jamey Johnson‘s new, Matthew McConaughey-directed video for “Playing the Part” premieres on Entertainment Tonight today and will be released to the web on Friday.
- Hey you, Texas music/red dirt lemming, Farce the Music would like to punch you in the sack for your arrogance and clouded vision:
Nashville copies success. So does Texas. How many Randy Rogers Band clones you got saddling up and riding the range out yonder? A lot, that’s how many.
Nashville plays it safe. So does Texas. How many in the “scene” are willing to eschew beer, honeys and Texas as base material for songs? Not many.
[…] Nashville doesn’t celebrate its more cerebral and artistically genuine artists. Neither does Texas. Otherwise, the Rodney Haydens, Josh Griders, Slaid Cleaveses and Jason Eadys would rule the roost. They’re popular, but vastly underappreciated.
- Darrell Scott joined World Cafe host David Dye for an interview and to perform a couple of songs: “A Crooked Road” and “Colorado.”
- Come Nov. 13, CMT will celebrate the 40 greatest songs/videos of the decade with a two hour special titled CMT’s 40 Greatest Songs of the Decade.
- Bryan Simpson‘s replacement in the band Cadillac Sky will be Levi Lowery (MySpace).
I have always had, and still have the utmost respect for Bryan. If I tried to replace him, it would ultimately end in failure. I will be bringing something different to the table, and I can only hope and pray that you like what you hear. Thank you for this opportunity.
- Remember that Joe Diffie bluegrass album that’s been talked about for a while now? Its release is almost here, next week to be exact, and American Songwriter‘s Rick Moore rated it four and half stars.
- Nashville or Bust: Patsy Cline, Chanteuse
- Bob Lefsetz can’t figure out whether Taylor Swift‘s newly released song “Mean” is about him or not, but if it is, he wishes it were better. (“Mean” on iTunes)
- Kenny Chesney on co-producing with Buddy Cannon:
We have that mutual respect when it comes to song sense, and he knows I’m going to want to turn the guitars up a little loud, and I know he’s going to want them down. I thank Buddy for telling me to turn down the guitars, and I also thank Justin for turning them back up when Buddy left the room!
- My Kind of Country’s Occasional Hope isn’t as impressed with Shawn Camp‘s voice as she was with other male vocalists of the ’90s, but that didn’t stop her from giving his recently released album 1994 a high mark.
- Joey+Rory are giving away 7″ vinyl records with their single “This Song’s For You” on side A and “You Ain’t Woman Enough” on side B. (via That Nashville Sound)
- Watch Blake Shelton‘s appearance on Chelsea Lately last night. It was his third such appearance, the most of any country star, and the show’s 600th episode overall. (via Country Music Is Love)
- For Pop & Hiss’ Randy Lewis, the appeal of Sugarland‘s new album doesn’t extend beyond the surface:
Sugarland has expanded on its core country music audience by crafting increasingly pop-minded tracks, and it struck an attractive balance on 2008’s “Love on the Inside” between the down-home emotional tone of its early songs and a broader spectrum of pop, R&B and country-soul soaked material.
Now, however, subtlety, nuance and, most disappointingly, substance are checked at the stadium gate as the pendulum swings unmistakably toward sing- and sway-along anthems.
- Mountain Stage continued its backstage video series with Gene Watson.
Here’s The Peasall Sisters‘ song “Where No One Stands Alone,” which was featured in the recent movie trailer for the Coen brothers’ remake of True Grit. (via @TwangNation)
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …