CMT Music Awards Recaps & Videos; First Day of CMA Fest Cut Short; Willie & Merle Top Americana Chart
CMT Music Awards recaps abound:
CMT’s Calvin Gilbert notes that Carrie Underwood went home the big winner. She scored a video of the year trophy buckle for “Cowboy Casanova” and CMT performance of the year for a live version of “Temporary Home,” which was featured on CMT’s concert series Invitation Only. Check the full list of winners at the CMT Music Awards site.
Nothing says cool like celebrities, at least if you’re CMT parent company Viacom, and there were plenty on hand for the awards show. The Tennessean‘s Peter Cooper captured Trace Adkins‘ wonderment about the presence of Terrell Owens (not a big fan) and the lack of tact from Nicole “Snookie” Polizzi, of television show Jersey Shore.
Music Mix’s Whitney Pastorek live-blogged the entire thing and managed to keep it interesting.
- In his latest article for The Wall Street Journal, Barry Mazor wrote about The Grascals and Dierks Bentley, both of whom jump the bluegrass-country divide in their live shows and most recent albums.
- Shania Twain is officially divorced.
- Writing for the new, Jim Malec-helmed music blog American Noise, Kelly Dearmore cites Bobby Bare Sr.‘s take on “The Living Legend” and Bare Jr. with daughter, Isabella, on “Daddy What If” as two tracks that make the new Shel Silverstein tribute album, Twistable, Turnable Man, not only successful, but artistically necessary.
- Despite recent floods in Nashville, ticket sales and hotel bookings for the CMA Music Festival appear to be up about 10 percent over last year, and AP Entertainment Writer Chris Talbott says for some businesses, a strong showing is paramount if they want to stay in the black.
- Unfortunately, yesterday’s festivities were cut short by thunderstorms.
- Shelby Lynne visited World Cafe to perform songs from her latest album, Tears, Lies, and Alibis.
- Darius Rucker and his friends helped raise $48,720 for St. Jude Children’s Hospital during a concert at the Wildhorse Saloon on Monday night.
- In the newest Sessions feature on American Songwriter, Laure Bell Bundy discussed the inspiration and meaning behind the songs “Cigarette,” “When It All Goes South,” and “Homecoming Queen.” Don’t miss the video at the end with performances of the previously mentioned “When It All Goes South” and “Cigarette.”
- Bobby Bare‘s fish tales:
“Porter [Wagoner] was intense, buddy,” said Bare. “He got into it. He said, ‘You gotta get in there and talk to ‘em.’ He’d say, ‘Come on there, fish, get in here.'”
He regaled his boat-mates with tales of other fishing buddies like [Mel] Tillis, whom he said has a habit of joining the fish at inopportune times.
“We were in Florida, and he was coming back around behind me,” said Bare, reminiscing on a past trip. “It was a narrow boat, and he got right here (behind me). He said, ‘I’m fa-fa-fa . . .’ and he hit the water about the time he said ‘falling.'”
- Country California Fake News: Exclusive: An Interview with Willie Nelson’s Braids
- Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard are holding down the top two spots on the Americana airplay chart with their recent albums.
Music Fog videos:
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …
- Russ Morris: My introduction to Dwight was This Time. Every song on that album is my favorite. I'm playing 3 Pears in …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Favorite Dwight Yoakam song? Too darn tough to choose! I do love his second Greatest Hits album, though, featuring his …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …