CMT Music Awards Recaps & Videos; First Day of CMA Fest Cut Short; Willie & Merle Top Americana Chart
CMT Music Awards recaps abound:
CMT’s Calvin Gilbert notes that Carrie Underwood went home the big winner. She scored a video of the year trophy buckle for “Cowboy Casanova” and CMT performance of the year for a live version of “Temporary Home,” which was featured on CMT’s concert series Invitation Only. Check the full list of winners at the CMT Music Awards site.
Nothing says cool like celebrities, at least if you’re CMT parent company Viacom, and there were plenty on hand for the awards show. The Tennessean‘s Peter Cooper captured Trace Adkins‘ wonderment about the presence of Terrell Owens (not a big fan) and the lack of tact from Nicole “Snookie” Polizzi, of television show Jersey Shore.
Music Mix’s Whitney Pastorek live-blogged the entire thing and managed to keep it interesting.
- In his latest article for The Wall Street Journal, Barry Mazor wrote about The Grascals and Dierks Bentley, both of whom jump the bluegrass-country divide in their live shows and most recent albums.
- Shania Twain is officially divorced.
- Writing for the new, Jim Malec-helmed music blog American Noise, Kelly Dearmore cites Bobby Bare Sr.‘s take on “The Living Legend” and Bare Jr. with daughter, Isabella, on “Daddy What If” as two tracks that make the new Shel Silverstein tribute album, Twistable, Turnable Man, not only successful, but artistically necessary.
- Despite recent floods in Nashville, ticket sales and hotel bookings for the CMA Music Festival appear to be up about 10 percent over last year, and AP Entertainment Writer Chris Talbott says for some businesses, a strong showing is paramount if they want to stay in the black.
- Unfortunately, yesterday’s festivities were cut short by thunderstorms.
- Shelby Lynne visited World Cafe to perform songs from her latest album, Tears, Lies, and Alibis.
- Darius Rucker and his friends helped raise $48,720 for St. Jude Children’s Hospital during a concert at the Wildhorse Saloon on Monday night.
- In the newest Sessions feature on American Songwriter, Laure Bell Bundy discussed the inspiration and meaning behind the songs “Cigarette,” “When It All Goes South,” and “Homecoming Queen.” Don’t miss the video at the end with performances of the previously mentioned “When It All Goes South” and “Cigarette.”
- Bobby Bare‘s fish tales:
“Porter [Wagoner] was intense, buddy,” said Bare. “He got into it. He said, ‘You gotta get in there and talk to ‘em.’ He’d say, ‘Come on there, fish, get in here.’”
He regaled his boat-mates with tales of other fishing buddies like [Mel] Tillis, whom he said has a habit of joining the fish at inopportune times.
“We were in Florida, and he was coming back around behind me,” said Bare, reminiscing on a past trip. “It was a narrow boat, and he got right here (behind me). He said, ‘I’m fa-fa-fa . . .’ and he hit the water about the time he said ‘falling.’”
- Country California Fake News: Exclusive: An Interview with Willie Nelson’s Braids
- Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard are holding down the top two spots on the Americana airplay chart with their recent albums.
Music Fog videos:
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …
- Jeremy Dylan: I did a podcast on Joni Mitchell's BLUE album recently and was wondering if there was a good bio of …
- Leeann Ward: Well, that was a mighty unnecessarily flippant comment I just made there and the better angels of my nature make …