CMT Music Award Nominees Revealed; Elizabeth Cook & Jim Lauderdale Among New Releases; John Rich’s Free Download
- Ladies and gentlemen, your 2010 CMT Music Award nominees.
New releases for the week of May 11, 2010 include:
- On Saturday, 150 music industry veterans consisting of employees for Columbia Nashville and sister label Epic Records from between 1975 and 1995 gathered for a reunion. Bobby Bare was there, along with Mary Chapin Carpenter, Crystal Gayle, Joe Diffie, and many others. CMT’s Edward Morris recapped the event, too.
- If you haven’t checked out Jamie Wilson yet, head over to Sounds Country and take a listen to “Little Too Rough.”
- Ninebullets.net introduced Blaze Foley.
- When Miss Leslie reordered a batch of her live CDs, she accidentally left the title off, which means you can pick one up for the cost of shipping.
- Jamey Johnson joined the lineup for Chely Wright‘s 10th annual Reading, Writing & Rhythm benefit concert.
- John Rich is providing a free download of a new song on his website for anyone who signs up for email updates. The song, “Lend A Hand,” is dedicated to the people of Nashville.
- Many of the instruments from the Musicians Hall of Fame, like the bass Lightning Chance used for Hank Williams’ final recording sessions, are in a sad state of disrepair from the recent floods in Nashville.
- Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne introduced Bobbie Cryner, who he says was “possibly the best unheralded singer-songwriter of her time.”
- In an interview with CMT’s Craig Shelburne, Alan Jackson talked about the life cycle of an older song he wrote that ended up on his new album:
How did “True Love Is a Golden Ring” come back to your attention? I understand that’s an older song.
Yeah. Adam and Shannon Wright — he’s my nephew and she’s his wife — are a duo called the Wrights. They’ve been around and had some records and they’re both good songwriters. Anyway, they cut an album a couple of years ago and wanted some of my old stuff. They went and dug that song up. It was in one of my catalogs at a publishing company. I had forgotten about that thing. I had always wanted to cut it but I just forgot about it. They ended up doing a really cool version of it. When I heard that, I thought I might put it on my next album.
- Lady Antebellum collaborated with Maroon 5 on a song that will appear on the pop group’s new album, due out later this year.
- The New York Times‘ David Belcher interviewed Mary Chapin Carpenter.
- Watch the video for the Buxton Hughes song “Big Blue Sky.”
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.