CMT Music Award Nominees Revealed; Elizabeth Cook & Jim Lauderdale Among New Releases; John Rich’s Free Download
- Ladies and gentlemen, your 2010 CMT Music Award nominees.
New releases for the week of May 11, 2010 include:
- On Saturday, 150 music industry veterans consisting of employees for Columbia Nashville and sister label Epic Records from between 1975 and 1995 gathered for a reunion. Bobby Bare was there, along with Mary Chapin Carpenter, Crystal Gayle, Joe Diffie, and many others. CMT’s Edward Morris recapped the event, too.
- If you haven’t checked out Jamie Wilson yet, head over to Sounds Country and take a listen to “Little Too Rough.”
- Ninebullets.net introduced Blaze Foley.
- When Miss Leslie reordered a batch of her live CDs, she accidentally left the title off, which means you can pick one up for the cost of shipping.
- Jamey Johnson joined the lineup for Chely Wright‘s 10th annual Reading, Writing & Rhythm benefit concert.
- John Rich is providing a free download of a new song on his website for anyone who signs up for email updates. The song, “Lend A Hand,” is dedicated to the people of Nashville.
- Many of the instruments from the Musicians Hall of Fame, like the bass Lightning Chance used for Hank Williams’ final recording sessions, are in a sad state of disrepair from the recent floods in Nashville.
- Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne introduced Bobbie Cryner, who he says was “possibly the best unheralded singer-songwriter of her time.”
- In an interview with CMT’s Craig Shelburne, Alan Jackson talked about the life cycle of an older song he wrote that ended up on his new album:
How did “True Love Is a Golden Ring” come back to your attention? I understand that’s an older song.
Yeah. Adam and Shannon Wright — he’s my nephew and she’s his wife — are a duo called the Wrights. They’ve been around and had some records and they’re both good songwriters. Anyway, they cut an album a couple of years ago and wanted some of my old stuff. They went and dug that song up. It was in one of my catalogs at a publishing company. I had forgotten about that thing. I had always wanted to cut it but I just forgot about it. They ended up doing a really cool version of it. When I heard that, I thought I might put it on my next album.
- Lady Antebellum collaborated with Maroon 5 on a song that will appear on the pop group’s new album, due out later this year.
- The New York Times‘ David Belcher interviewed Mary Chapin Carpenter.
- Watch the video for the Buxton Hughes song “Big Blue Sky.”
- luckyoldsun: Barry, That's a good point, as far as country itself being a word that refers to a lot more than a …
- Six String Richie: Also, in regards to that article, Aldean's #2 complaint was "Nashville Copycats" and he gripes that people are copping Luke …
- Six String Richie: Billboard misprinted his new single as "Burnin' It Up" in that article! That goes to show how little even …
- CraigR.: Here are 5 things that piss me off about Jason Aldean: 1. He is a sore winner. Why complain when you …
- Barry Mazor: The words "country" and jazz (or "jass") and blues had been around for decades before they became genres (or formats) …
- Jeff Miller: Yeah, the first time I played Jimmie Rodgers for my wife & daughter- they were aghast that he was singing …
- David Cantwell: I think it more helpful to think of Americana not as a genre but as a format--and, perhaps better, and …
- Juli Thanki: That would definitely be better than Marvel's hilariously terrible Billy Ray Cyrus comic book, released in 1995. http://4thletter.net/2009/02/billy-ray-cyrus-the-marvel-comic-book-yes-really/
- Applejack: "I’m sure there are many ways to lasso in and constrict any genre or format, any of them, so tightly …
- Emily: Wow!! Fabulous! Love those boots and you all look stunning! xo