CMT Music Award Nominees Revealed; Elizabeth Cook & Jim Lauderdale Among New Releases; John Rich’s Free Download
- Ladies and gentlemen, your 2010 CMT Music Award nominees.
New releases for the week of May 11, 2010 include:
- On Saturday, 150 music industry veterans consisting of employees for Columbia Nashville and sister label Epic Records from between 1975 and 1995 gathered for a reunion. Bobby Bare was there, along with Mary Chapin Carpenter, Crystal Gayle, Joe Diffie, and many others. CMT’s Edward Morris recapped the event, too.
- If you haven’t checked out Jamie Wilson yet, head over to Sounds Country and take a listen to “Little Too Rough.”
- Ninebullets.net introduced Blaze Foley.
- When Miss Leslie reordered a batch of her live CDs, she accidentally left the title off, which means you can pick one up for the cost of shipping.
- Jamey Johnson joined the lineup for Chely Wright‘s 10th annual Reading, Writing & Rhythm benefit concert.
- John Rich is providing a free download of a new song on his website for anyone who signs up for email updates. The song, “Lend A Hand,” is dedicated to the people of Nashville.
- Many of the instruments from the Musicians Hall of Fame, like the bass Lightning Chance used for Hank Williams’ final recording sessions, are in a sad state of disrepair from the recent floods in Nashville.
- Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne introduced Bobbie Cryner, who he says was “possibly the best unheralded singer-songwriter of her time.”
- In an interview with CMT’s Craig Shelburne, Alan Jackson talked about the life cycle of an older song he wrote that ended up on his new album:
How did “True Love Is a Golden Ring” come back to your attention? I understand that’s an older song.
Yeah. Adam and Shannon Wright — he’s my nephew and she’s his wife — are a duo called the Wrights. They’ve been around and had some records and they’re both good songwriters. Anyway, they cut an album a couple of years ago and wanted some of my old stuff. They went and dug that song up. It was in one of my catalogs at a publishing company. I had forgotten about that thing. I had always wanted to cut it but I just forgot about it. They ended up doing a really cool version of it. When I heard that, I thought I might put it on my next album.
- Lady Antebellum collaborated with Maroon 5 on a song that will appear on the pop group’s new album, due out later this year.
- The New York Times‘ David Belcher interviewed Mary Chapin Carpenter.
- Watch the video for the Buxton Hughes song “Big Blue Sky.”
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.
- luckyoldsun: I seem to recall hearing a recording of the Christmas song "Walking in the Winter Wonderland" where the line "In …
- Leeann Ward: For a slow new Christmas music year, the announcement of the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP and the Christmas tracks by …