CMT Awards Nominations Announced; Garth Brooks to Film Vegas Concerts; New Album Releases
- Nominations for the fan-voted 2013 CMT Awards were announced yesterday. Jason Aldean, Kenny Chesney, Rascal Flatts, and Florida Georgia Line received three nominations each, while Hunter Hayes, Kacey Musgraves and, uh, Journey are among those nominated for two awards. Read the full list of nominations and cast your votes here.
- The Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver Bluegrass Festival is in Denton, North Carolina this weekend. Lonesome River Band, The Roys, and Junior Sisk & Ramblers Choice are among the other bands on the bill.
- The Opry posted a YouTube video of Alan Jackson singing “He Stopped Loving Her Today” at George Jones’ memorial service.
- Merle Haggard wrote a sweet piece on Jones for Rolling Stone. An excerpt: I met him at the Blackboard Café in Bakersfield, California, which was the place to go in ’61. He was already famous for either not showing up or showing up drunk, and he showed up drunk. I was onstage – I think I was singing Marty Robbins’ “Devil Woman,” and he kicked the doors of the office open and said, “Who in the fuck is that?” It was one of the greatest compliments of my entire life when George Jones said I was his favorite country singer. It began a love affair between us, because we loved each other’s stuff so much. In 1967, I released a ballad called “I Threw Away the Rose,” and he was so impressed he actually jumped ship and left his tour, rented a Learjet and came to Amarillo, Texas. He told me my low note changed his life. He also folded my steel guitarist Fuzzy Owen into a rollaway bed and rolled him out on the street. That was the pinnacle of it all.
- Jewly Hight interviewed Peter Rowan for CMT Edge.
- Download “Traveling Alone” from Jason Isbell’s forthcoming record, Southeastern (due out June 11). Isbell was also featured in a recent Michael Bialas article for The Huffington Post.
- Garth Brooks’ Memorial Day and Fourth of July weekend concerts in Las Vegas will be filmed for release on DVD.
- Shania Twain has scheduled 22 additional Vegas show dates. Tickets go on sale Friday.
- Lori McKenna is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- Rolling Stone premiered Lady Antebellum’s new album.
- Eric Church, Greensky Bluegrass, JD McPherson, and Band of Heathens are scheduled to play the Austin City Limits Music Festival this October. Check out the full lineup.
- CMT Edge’s Robert Kimmel wrote a feature on The Boxcars and their new album, It’s Just a Road.
- Craig Shelburne of CMT reviewed The Band Perry’s Friday night show at Billy Bob’s Texas. An excerpt: Although their list of hits is relatively short, “Hip to My Heart” and “All Your Life” appear to have staying power with the fans. They also set aside a reasonable amount of time for covers — just a few lines from Tom Petty, the Lumineers, Whitney Houston, Fun. and “Amazing Grace.” Of course, musical diversity defines the playlists for the college-age fans as well as artists of that generation. It’s also eye-opening to walk into Billy Bob’s Texas, which bills itself as the world’s largest honky-tonk, and find so many people under 30 in the crowd. If you had imagined a bunch of grizzled Texans or older line-dancers inside, you’d be way off. When people talk about how country music is thriving because of its youth appeal, this is what they’re talking about.
- Balsam Range is providing music for the movie Careful What You Wish For.
- Ashley Monroe talks about the Pistol Annies’ sophomore album with Chuck Dauphin. The Annies are featured in the Tennessean as well.
- Dauphin also goes through the new Lady Antebellum record song-by-song.
- Here’s a video of Chris King playing “Homeland” for Gibson’s “Backroom Bootleg Sessions.”
- Ben Folds talks about his Nashville recording studio, which used to be RCA Studio A, with Mix. An excerpt: [The] penchant for live tracking, band on the floor, was the norm back when the studio was built, and it’s been a main selling point for the studio lately, with projects by Steve Earle (his first Nashville record in nearly 10 years), Justin Townes Earle, John Hiatt and Kacey Musgraves all taking advantage of dynamic, in-studio interplay. It wasn’t that long ago that Tony Bennett stopped in for a couple of tracks on Duets II, singing live in the main room, with band and a monitor setup. Old-school.
- Jordan O’Jordan: cancer researcher by day, folk musician by night.
- Dave Heaton of PopMatters takes a look at four different Kris Kristofferson tribute records.
- Tim McGraw’s new music video for “Highway Don’t Care” premiered yesterday.
- This week’s album releases:
Lady Antebellum – Golden
Dailey and Vincent – Brothers of the Highway
Spinney Brothers – No Borders
Craig Campbell – Never Regret
Ruth Moody – These Wilder Things
Grant Langston – Working Until I Die
Pistol Annies – Annie Up
Patty Griffin – American Kid
Natalie Maines – Mother
Courtney Jaye – Love and Forgiveness
Charlie Musselwhite, Billy Boy Arnold, Mark Hummel, James Harman & Sugar Ray Norcia – Remembering Little Walter
Mickie James – Somebody’s Gonna Pay
Austin Lounge Lizards – Home and Deranged
The Cadillac Three – The Cadillac Three
David Francey – So Say We All
Charlie Parr – Barnswallow
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …