CMHOF to Spotlight Crystal Gayle; Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Announces 2014 Nominees; Wayne Hancock Recovering from Motorcycle Accident
- The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will open a spotlight exhibit focused on Crystal Gayle May 2. The exhibit will run through November 3. (via press release)
- Wayne Hancock is recovering from a motorcycle accident last weekend that left him with a collapsed lung and fractured elbow. He’s still hospitalized and his May shows have been canceled so that he can recuperate.
- Amanda Shires released a video for “Look Like a Bird.”
- The Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame announced this year’s nominees. The nominees in the songwriter category are Tom Douglas, Marcus Hummon, Tony Martin, Tim Nichols, Gretchen Peters, Steve Seskin, John Scott Sherrill, and Sharon Vaughn. The songwriter/artist nominees are John Anderson, Rosanne Cash, Larry Gatlin, and Amy Grant. The inductees will be announced in June.
- Little Big Town has almost finished making their next record with producer Jay Joyce.
- Fiddler Jamie Harper has joined Junior Sisk and Ramblers Choice. (via press release)
- Rhett Miller shares the story behind Tommy Stinson’s guest appearance on The Old 97s’ Most Messed Up: “It was just kind of a fluke that he was in Dallas when we were doing pre-production…I went to see him play with Guns N’ Roses and we drank until 5 in the morning afterward and I went back to my hotel rock and promptly broke my elbow falling down on the ground…I called him the next day from the emergency room and said, ‘Tommy, I can’t play guitar in the pre-production session today because you got me too drunk, so now you have to play guitar,’ and it just sounded so good that we made him come to Austin for the recording session and he’s all over the record.”
- In May, Joey + Rory will release a classic country covers record through Cracker Barrel.
- Missy Werner released a new single called “Rocks in the River,” written by reigning IBMA Songwriter of the Year Eric Gibson.
- Dierks Bentley’s “I Hold On” has gone gold.
- American Songwriter premiered the title track to Joseph LeMay’s forthcoming album, Seventeen Acres.
- Old Crow Medicine Show’s next album, Remedy, features a song called “Sweet Amarillo” that’s another collaboration with Bob Dylan.
- Help save the Strawberry Music Festival.
- CMT Edge premiered Kris Delmhorst’s “Bright Green World.”
- Thanks to our Twitter pal Amanda for sending this video – of Marty Stuart, Glen Duncan and Roy Acuff at Bashful Brother Oswald’s house – our way.
- On August 6, Emmylou Harris, Rodney Crowell, and Robert Ellis are scheduled to play a free show as part of the Lincoln Center’s “Out of Doors” concert series.
- Evansville, Indiana apparently has, per capita, the most young country music fans.
- Bluegrasser Travers Chandler is working on a new record and a biography of Charlie Moore.
- Album streams:
Old Smokey – Wester Easter
Matrimony – Montibello Memories (out May 6)
Joseph Huber – The Hanging Road
Ben and Ellen Harper – Childhood Home (out May 6)
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …