CMHOF to Spotlight Crystal Gayle; Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Announces 2014 Nominees; Wayne Hancock Recovering from Motorcycle Accident
- The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will open a spotlight exhibit focused on Crystal Gayle May 2. The exhibit will run through November 3. (via press release)
- Wayne Hancock is recovering from a motorcycle accident last weekend that left him with a collapsed lung and fractured elbow. He’s still hospitalized and his May shows have been canceled so that he can recuperate.
- Amanda Shires released a video for “Look Like a Bird.”
- The Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame announced this year’s nominees. The nominees in the songwriter category are Tom Douglas, Marcus Hummon, Tony Martin, Tim Nichols, Gretchen Peters, Steve Seskin, John Scott Sherrill, and Sharon Vaughn. The songwriter/artist nominees are John Anderson, Rosanne Cash, Larry Gatlin, and Amy Grant. The inductees will be announced in June.
- Little Big Town has almost finished making their next record with producer Jay Joyce.
- Fiddler Jamie Harper has joined Junior Sisk and Ramblers Choice. (via press release)
- Rhett Miller shares the story behind Tommy Stinson’s guest appearance on The Old 97s’ Most Messed Up: “It was just kind of a fluke that he was in Dallas when we were doing pre-production…I went to see him play with Guns N’ Roses and we drank until 5 in the morning afterward and I went back to my hotel rock and promptly broke my elbow falling down on the ground…I called him the next day from the emergency room and said, ‘Tommy, I can’t play guitar in the pre-production session today because you got me too drunk, so now you have to play guitar,’ and it just sounded so good that we made him come to Austin for the recording session and he’s all over the record.”
- In May, Joey + Rory will release a classic country covers record through Cracker Barrel.
- Missy Werner released a new single called “Rocks in the River,” written by reigning IBMA Songwriter of the Year Eric Gibson.
- Dierks Bentley’s “I Hold On” has gone gold.
- American Songwriter premiered the title track to Joseph LeMay’s forthcoming album, Seventeen Acres.
- Old Crow Medicine Show’s next album, Remedy, features a song called “Sweet Amarillo” that’s another collaboration with Bob Dylan.
- Help save the Strawberry Music Festival.
- CMT Edge premiered Kris Delmhorst’s “Bright Green World.”
- Thanks to our Twitter pal Amanda for sending this video – of Marty Stuart, Glen Duncan and Roy Acuff at Bashful Brother Oswald’s house – our way.
- On August 6, Emmylou Harris, Rodney Crowell, and Robert Ellis are scheduled to play a free show as part of the Lincoln Center’s “Out of Doors” concert series.
- Evansville, Indiana apparently has, per capita, the most young country music fans.
- Bluegrasser Travers Chandler is working on a new record and a biography of Charlie Moore.
- Album streams:
Old Smokey – Wester Easter
Matrimony – Montibello Memories (out May 6)
Joseph Huber – The Hanging Road
Ben and Ellen Harper – Childhood Home (out May 6)
- luckyoldsun: And sometimes she breaks into "I Fought the Law and the Law Won."
- bob: @Leeann - Don Schlitz's wife Stacy is also a good singer. At some of his shows, she'll sing a song …
- Leeann: It's hardly on topic, but Don Schlitz's wife is an actual lawyer.
- Erik North: I like that list of country songs that Laura Cantrell drew up for people who are suspicious of the genre. …
- Leeann: Thank you for linking to my discussion. To clarify, they're not so much my favorite Dad songs, but rather, songs …
- Jack: "I got turned off a not so new guy’s music after he started recording songs like “Get Drunk and Be …
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …