CMHOF Expansion Opens; Levon Helm Studios to Hold Open House; Album Releases
- Download a Chatham County Line sampler on NoiseTrade. Here’s “Should Have Known” from the quartet’s upcoming album, Tightrope.
- On April 26, Nancy Jones, George’s widow, will plant two dogwood trees at the Possum’s Woodlawn Cemetery gravesite. The event is open to the public.
- Dom Flemons will release a solo album called Prospect Hill on July 22. (via press release)
- Bloodshot Records celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. ChicagoBusiness.com posted a cool feature on the label and its founders.
- The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum’s new expansion has a whole bunch of stuff on display, including Ronald Reagan’s pardon of Merle Haggard, Dolly Parton’s handwritten “Jolene” lyrics, squirrels that Hank Williams shot, and Glen Campbell’s bagpipes.
- Last week Rhonda Vincent was interviewed on Bloomberg TV’s Taking Stock. (warning: autoplay) (h/t our Twitter pal Jeff)
- Give a listen to “I’m Not Here” from NRBQ’s new album, Brass Tacks, which comes out June 17.
- Jeff Tweedy was on Parks & Rec last Thursday.
- Taylor Swift showed up at a superfan’s bridal shower with expensive, yet tasteful, gifts.
- American Songwriter published a lengthy story on Robert Ellis.
- CMT Edge posted a clip from The Milk Carton Kids’ new concert DVD.
- Neil Young’s PonoMusic (“an ecosystem to play and store music”) Kickstarter campaign has raised nearly $6 million.
- Stream Bobby Rush’s soulful new album, Decisions.
- Sources say that Nashville will be renewed for another season. (The best part of the show: these recaps.)
- Here are some neat maps that show America’s music preferences by genre.
- Laura Bell Bundy talks about her country/dance sound in this interview on MusicRadar.com. An excerpt: You know, I don’t know what I envisioned my music career being. All I ever really wanted to do is make music and be on stage and sing it. The truth of the matter is that I am so in love with the element of surprise, and I’m so bored with just copying what everybody else is doing. I have no interest in replicating what they’re already doing. I want to do something unique and different if I’m gonna make music.
- Bluegrass Today’s John Goad writes that fans of Sierra Hull and Alison Krauss might dig Ashley Lewis’ new album, Captivated.
- Tickets for the Texas Songwriters Heritage Association’s annual Hall of Fame Awards Show go on sale today. Prices start at $19, which sounds like a good deal for an event that will include performances by Kris Kristofferson, K.T. Oslin, Jessi Colter, Lee Roy Parnell, and more.
- On Saturday, Levon Helm Studios will hold an open house to mark the second anniversary of Helm’s passing. (warning: autoplay)
- Whitney Self of CMT talked with The Oak Ridge Boys about the band’s history and their new record.
- South Winnipeg coffee shop the Fourth Dimension, aka 4D, was an important part of Canada’s folk music scene in the ‘60s, hosting acts like Neil Young and Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee.
- Jimmy Martin was mentioned in a clue on last night’s Jeopardy.
- This week’s album releases, barring numerous Record Store Day releases, which you can find here. Thanks for supporting E145 by purchasing your music through our affiliate links.
Ray Price – Beauty Is
Ray Bonneville – Easy Gone
Rodney Crowell – Tarpaper Sky
Moot Davis – Goin’ in Hot
Ryley Walker – All Kinds of You
Two Wings – A Wake
Nick Verzosa & The Noble Union – Love in Principle
Del Barber – Prairieography
Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives – The Gospel Music of Marty Stuart and His Fabulous Superlatives
The Secret Sisters – Put Your Needle Down
Bobby Bare, Jr. – Undefeated
Mark Hummel – The Hustle is Really On
Bobby Rush with Blinddog Smokin’ – Decisions
Hillstomp – Portland, Ore.
Red June – Ancient Dreams
Randy Rogers Band – Homemade Tamales: Live at Floore’s
Oak Ridge Boys – Boys Night Out
Asylum Street Spankers – The Last Laugh
Esme Patterson – Woman to Woman
- And some books:
Craig Harris – The Band: Pioneers of Americana Music
Debby Campbell & Mark Bego – Life with My Father Glen Campbell
- luckyoldsun: Leann- I've biked a lot of laps around Central Park over the years. If I thought it would get me to …
- Leeann: No offense to Chely Wright, but while I expect that she will make a good album, asking for $175,000 seems …
- Juli Thanki: Ha! The best way to celebrate Connie Smith Day is by marrying a younger man. Mullet optional.
- nm: But was it Connie Smith Day all day long and then from dusk to dawn?
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …