CMHOF Bucks Itself; Sam Grisman Leaves The Deadly Gentlemen; New Album Releases
- On December 7, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will celebrate Buck Owens and The Buckaroos with a trio of special programs: a panel discussion (“The Buckaroos: Making Music with Buck Owens”), a book talk (about Buck ‘Em, Owens’ posthumous autobiography co-authored with Randy Poe), and a concert featuring Buddy Alan Owens, current and former Buckaroos, and guests including Jim Lauderdale, Sunny Sweeney, and Angaleena Presley.
- Peter Cooper wrote about John Prine and the CMHOF’s new Prine exhibit for The Tennessean.
- Craig Shelburne (CMT Edge) interviewed Martin Guitars CEO Chris Martin.
- The banjo shall make its triumphant return to Antarctica next November. (Anyone seen the real Shackleton banjo, toted around the South Pole by crew member Leonard Hussey? It’s a pretty neat part of history.)
- Preservation Hall Jazz Band crammed into a yurt to play “Yellow Moon.” Watch here.
- Dead Peasants frontman and Foo Fighter Chris Shiflett posted the audio of his interview with Dwight Yoakam. You might want to wear headphones if you’re around coworkers/kids/grandmas.
- David Menconi wrote a fine article on Link Wray, “the most important guitar player you’ve never heard of.”
- NPR premiered Ryley Walker’s folky new song “The West Wind.”
- Bassist Sam Grisman has left The Deadly Gentlemen to pursue other musical opportunities. Adam Chaffins is his replacement.
- Chuck Dauphin profiled Darin & Brooke Aldridge for The 615.
- CMT Edge’s Brian T. Atkinson interviewed fiddle wizard Casey Driessen about his cool new project, The Singularity.
- Kellie Pickler drinks wine and listens to Lee Ann Womack. Country singers: they’re just like us!
- Tedeschi Trucks Band released a video for “Made Up Mind.”
- Billie Joe Armstrong and Norah Jones talk about their Everly Brothers tribute, Foreverly, in this NPR piece and a USA Today article.
- There’s a lengthy Avett Brothers feature in the November/December issue of American Songwriter. Seth Avett also put together a pretty strong list of “deathbed albums.”
- The Drive-By Truckers’ next album, English Oceans, will be released March 4. (via the CD and one-sheet I got in my mailbox this morning)
- Stream new box set I Heard the Angels Singing: Electrifying Black Gospel from the Nashboro Label, 1951-1983.
- There are a number of rootsy acts on Paste’s countdown of their top 30 Rolling Stones covers. Which is your favorite? (I dig Townes Van Zandt’s “Dead Flowers” and, though not country, The Sundays’ take on “Wild Horses,” which was used excellently in that one Buffy episode.)
- This is Jamie Lynn Spears’ new country single. Discuss.
- Check out The John Jorgensen Bluegrass Band’s Mountain Stage performance.
- Mandolin Orange played one for Folk Alley.
- This week’s album releases (thank you for helping to support E145 by purchasing stuff through our Amazon affiliate links):
Billie Joe Armstrong & Norah Jones – Foreverly
NC Music Love Army – We Are Not for Sale: Songs of Protest
The Speedbumps – The Harbors We Seek
Danielle Bradbery – Danielle Bradbery
Peter Walker – Has Anybody Seen Our Freedoms?
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.