CMA Fest Announces Performers; Shaver & Nelson Release “Wacko From Waco” Duet; Gretchen Wilson’s Favorite Grammy Winners
- The first round of announced performers for the CMA Music Festival includes Trace Adkins, Jason Aldean, The Band Perry, Sheryl Crow, Lady Antebellum, Miranda Lambert, Martina McBride, Rascal Flatts, Reba, Darius Rucker, Blake Shelton and Keith Urban.
- “On the Banks of the Ohio” illustrated. (via Fresh Signals)
- Northwest native Rachel Harrington plans to release her new album Celilo Falls to the US next week and in an effort to highlight the release, songs:illinois is streaming the song “He Started Building My Mansion In Heaven Today.”
- NPR: Justin Townes Earle on World Cafe
- Gretchen Wilson shared her thoughts on 10 Grammy-winning country songs (“Ain’t That Lonely Yet,” “The Devil Went Down to Georgia,” “Stand by Your Man,” etc.) with CMT’s Craig Shelburne.
- Here’s the new video for Justin Moore‘s song “If Heaven Wasn’t So Far Away,” the first single from his forthcoming sophomore album. (via That Nashville Sound)
- Peter Cooper profiled what is believed to be the only black-and-white duo ever in country music, Allerton & Alton, whose live recordings from Maine radio stations are now available in a set called Black, White and Bluegrass.
- Billy Joe Shaver and Willie Nelson released a duet titled “Wacko From Waco” about the shooting incident Shaver was involved with a few years ago.
- Sixteen covers of Lucinda Williams songs. (via @jimcaligiuri)
- The Dixie Bee-Liners are on a mission to get guitarist George Shuffler inducted into the Bluegrass Hall of Fame. Until that happens, the group plans to play The Stanley Brothers song “Will You Miss Me” at every show.
- Listen to “Let It Rain,” the first single from David Nail‘s forthcoming sophomore album.
- Rosanne Cash on the possibility of revealing “The List” — a hundred must-listen songs her father put together — to the public:
[…] I’m not ready to. So much of my dad has been co-opted by the public and this was such a personal thing to me. And I’m just not ready to post it on the Internet or something, you know what I mean? I want to hang on to it for a little while. … Eventually it should be archived properly, but right now it’s mine.
- Music Fog: Wade Bowen – “Trouble”
- Remember that series of concerts Garth Brooks held last December? They helped raise $5 million to support Tennessee flood recovery.
- Michael McCall on the new Waylon tribute:
Some go too far in translation, as when Alabama change a lyric in “Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way,” switching “we need to change” to “we made the change.” Rather than criticizing contemporary country music, these new lyrics sanction it–the opposite of what Jennings intended.
- Apparently “country-western” music is a handy tool for waking and expelling a hibernating bear.
- For week 2 of Rodney Hayden‘s Stories & Songs series, he recounts the inspiration behind one of my favorites: “Silverado Boys.” Don’t miss the free download after you watch the video.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …