CMA Awards Nominees Announced; Vince Gill Takes on Westboro Baptist; New Album Releases
- This year’s CMA Awards nominees were announced today. The awards show will be held November 6.
Entertainer of the Year: Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton, George Strait, Taylor Swift
Male Vocalist of the Year: Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Eric Church, Blake Shelton, Keith Urban
Female Vocalist of the Year: Kelly Clarkson, Miranda Lambert, Kacey Musgraves, Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood
Vocal Duo of the Year: Big & Rich, Florida Georgia Line, Love and Theft, Sugarland, Thompson Square, The Civil Wars
Musician of the Year: Sam Bush, Paul Franklin, Dann Huff, Brent Mason, Mac McAnally
Album of the Year: Blake Shelton, Based on a True Story; Carrie Underwood, Blown Away; Taylor Swift, Red; Kacey Musgraves, Same Trailer, Different Park; Little Big Town, Tornado
Video of the Year: Carrie Underwood, “Blown Away”; Blake Shelton, “Boys ‘Round Here”; Lady Antebellum, “Downtown”; Tim McGraw & Taylor Swift with Keith Urban, “Highway Don’t Care”; Miranda Lambert, “Mama’s Broken Heart”; Little Big Town, “Tornado”
Song of the Year: “I Drive Your Truck” (Jessi Alexander, Connie Harrington, Jimmy Yeary); “Mama’s Broken Heart” (Brandy Clark, Shane McAnally, Kacey Musgraves); “Merry Go ‘Round” (Kacey Musgraves, Josh Osborne, Shane McAnally); “Pontoon” (Natalie Hemby, Luke Laird, Barry Dean); “Wagon Wheel” (Bob Dylan, Ketch Secor)
Single of the Year: Florida Georgia Line, “Cruise”; Tim McGraw with Taylor Swift, “Highway Don’t Care”; Miranda Lambert, “Mama’s Broken Heart”; Kacey Musgraves, “Merry Go ‘Round”; Darius Rucker, “Wagon Wheel”
Vocal Group of the Year: Eli Young Band, Lady Antebellum, Little Big Town, The Band Perry, Zac Brown Band
Musical Event of the Year: Blake Shelton featuring Pistol Annies, “Boys ‘Round Here”; Florida Georgia Line with Nelly, “Cruise”; Kelly Clarkson featuring Vince Gill, “Don’t Rush”; Tim McGraw with Taylor Swift and Keith Urban, “Highway Don’t Care”; Jason Aldean with Luke Bryan and Eric Church, “The Only Way I Know”
New Artist of the Year: Lee Brice, Brett Eldredge, Florida Georgia Line, Kacey Musgraves, Kip Moore
- George Strait announced his final tour dates at a press conference yesterday.
- Vince Gill is pretty excellent. Here’s a video of him confronting the hatemongers of Westboro Baptist Church, who were protesting Gill’s show (since Gill has been divorced and remarried) in Kansas City on Sunday night. From The Nashville Scene: Gill says he “came out to see what hatred really looked like in the face.” When the WBC member filming the exchange asks Gill, “Don’t you know that divorce plus marriage equals adultery?” He responds by saying, “Don’t you know that you fuckers are lucky that you don’t have a sign that says something about my wife?” Gill goes on to say, “[Jesus Christ] said a lot of stuff about forgiveness, about grace — you guys don’t have any of that.” He then calls one member “a big dipshit” before asking, “Are any of you guys Phelpses, or are you like the C Team?”
- Paul Burch’s next album, Fevers, is due out on Plowboy Records November 5. Take a sneak peek.
- Junior Sisk and Joe Mullins are collaborating on Hall of Fame Bluegrass, which will be released on Rebel Records in October. The track listing includes “Single Girl, Married Girl,” “I’ll Drink No More Wine,” and “The Bluebirds Are Singing for Me.”
- Check out Lucero’s version of “The Closer You Get” from upcoming Alabama tribute album High Cotton. Hey, stream the whole album.
- American Songwriter is streaming Steep Canyon Rangers’ “Stand and Deliver.”
- Holly Williams performed “Waiting on June” for CMT Edge.
- Chris Young’s new album is streaming on Amazon.
- Chris Stapleton chats about his music in a Radio.com post.
- Steve Wariner talks about his new album with The 615’s Chuck Dauphin.
- Children’s author Sandra Boynton discusses her CD-songbook Frog Trouble (featuring Alison Krauss, Dwight Yoakam, and others) in this NPR feature.
- This week’s album releases (thanks for purchasing your music through our affiliate links; it doesn’t cost you extra, but we get a percentage that helps us keep the lights on):
Steve Wariner – It Ain’t All Bad
Drew Kennedy – Wide Listener
Peter Cooper – Opening Day
George Jones – Amazing Grace
Keith Urban – Fuse
Sheryl Crow – Feels Like Home
Brian Wright – Rattle Their Chains
Steep Canyon Rangers – Tell the Ones I Love
Paul Brewster – 3 Minute Heartache
Rick Shea – Sweet Bernadine
Lorraine Jordan & Carolina Road – Lorraine Jordan & Carolina Road
Have Gun, Will Travel – Fiction, Fact or Folktale?
Two Cow Garage – The Death of the Self Preservation Society
Kayleigh Leith – This Woman
Jimmy Webb – Still Within the Sound of My Voice
The Rigneys – Double or Nothing
Drive-By Truckers – Alabama Ass-Whuppin’ (reissue)
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …