Clear Channel, CMT Ink Deal; Brandy Clark to Play Letterman; Album Releases
- Clear Channel and CMT have
formed an unholy alliancesigned a deal to “create central country-music programming to be distributed across 125 Clear Channel country stations, as well as television and digital platforms, such as Clear Channel’s iHeartRadio.” An interesting factoid from the Wall Street Journal article on this deal: “Country fans have become particularly attractive to advertisers. More than 61% boast individual income above $75,000 a year, about half are homeowners and 40% have college or post-graduate degrees, according to Cumulus.”
- Brandy Clark is scheduled to play Letterman on January 6.
- The New York Times published a lengthy review of Robert Hilburn’s Johnny Cash biography.
- Blake Shelton and Luke Bryan will return as ACM Awards hosts in 2014. The show will be broadcast live on CBS April 6.
- Brad Davis will release A Bluegrass Tribute to George Jones next Tuesday.
- Paste’s free holiday sampler includes songs by David Mayfield Parade, Nick Lowe, Drew Holcomb & The Neighbors, Otis Redding, and others.
- The fine folks of Galleywinter have rounded up some Red Dirt Christmas songs for you to stream.
- Rosanne Cash talks about her new album, The River & The Thread, with Chuck Dauphin of The 615.
- Stream Neil Young’s Live at the Cellar Door before its December 10 release.
- Joey Allcorn, Jesse Keith Whitley, and Trent Tomlinson are among the artists scheduled to perform at a benefit concert in honor of Wayne Mills in Nashville on December 4.
- Gangstagrass will release new album Broken Hearts and Stolen Money on January 28. (via press release)
- Jewly Hight picked out ten new music books to add to your reading list.
- Keith Urban and Taylor Swift will appear at the Grammy Nominations Concert on Friday night. Looks like Urban will perform with R&B singer Miguel.
- “I Drive Your Truck,” written by Connie Harrington, Jessi Alexander, and Jimmy Yeary, is the American Songwriter Lyric of the Week.
- Uncle Lucius played “Keep the Wolves Away” for CMT Edge.
- C.M. Wilcox posted a new installment of Quotable Country.
- Stephen Deusner interviewed The Bottle Rockets’ Brian Henneman.
- This week’s album releases (thank you for continuing to support E145 by purchasing music through the below affiliate links — treat yourself to an internet high five):
Eric Brace & Karl Straub – Hangtown Dancehall (with performances by Kelly Willis, Tim O’Brien, Darrell Scott, Jason Ringenberg, and more)
Deana Carter – Southern Way of Life
Jake Owen – Days of Gold
Spooner Oldham, Oteil Burbridge, Billy Crain, Tammy Rogers & Marco Giovino – The Southern Christmas Songbook & Hymnal
Wanda Jackson – Before the Music Died: The Complete Recordings 1954-1962
Various Artists – An Unreal Dream: The Michael Morton Story
Various Artists – Sons of Anarchy: Songs of Anarchy, Vol. 3
- And a movie:
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …
- Barry Mazor: I know for a fact that most of the album was recorded fresh and new with Garth Fundis some months …
- luckyoldsun: Michael, From the way it's being promoted, with Yearwood announcing a new label and a new album and with The Tennessean …
- Linda Salmons: Whoaa!!!! Makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Beautiful tone and nuance - unmistakably Auldridge.
- Michael A.: Billboard also posted a pretty good piece on the new Trisha Yearwood album yesterday. Unfortunately, it sounds like only …
- Kathy Gaddis: Very very nice!
- bob: Good day with news of PrizeFighter Trisha and Drunken Martina.
- John Fuller: Oh yeah!! Crispy sweet!
- Rick Mifflin: Sublime
- Leeann: Very nice!