Cindy Walker Willed Catalog to Hall of Fame; Tracy Lawrence Hospitalized
- Tracy Lawrence was hospitalized on Tuesday for a respiratory infection. He was diagnosed with early signs of pneumonia.
- The Star-Telegram‘s Preston Jones is not fond of the latest from George Strait:
Whatever the case, too much of Twang feels like Strait, who produced the record with longtime collaborator Tony Brown, capitalizing on his present, increased visibility. The songs come off as rote, lacking the emotional punch of Troubadour. While not every Strait album needs to have the weight and heft of that late-career opus (although The Breath You Take goes some way toward forgiving doofus ditties like album closer El Rey, Arkansas Dave and Hot Grease and Zydeco), neither can he just dump product into the marketplace.
- Since opening for his father’s band The Flatlanders, Colin Gilmore says doors have been opening for him all over the place and he hopes to have a new disc, co-produced by Lloyd Maines, out sometime this year.
- My Kind of Country’s J.R. Journey laments the fact that “Half of My Mistakes” was never released as a single for Gary Allan and asks: “What songs from recent albums do you think got looked over and would have been hits?”
- View the cover art for Tim McGraw‘s Oct. 20 release Southern Voice at That Nashville Sound.
- Music Fog has a live video of The Wiyos — who are currently touring with John Mellencamp, Willie Nelson, and Bob Dylan — performing “Promenade” for a recent show.
- Juli Thanki reviewed Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson‘s stop at the Birchmere on Tuesday night for The Washington Post.
- CMT published a portion of the transcript from an interview that Brooks & Dunn did for CMT Insider.
What about the differences between being a successful duo and having a successful marriage. Both of you have successful marriages. What are the similarities there?
Brooks: (laughs) I’ve got some stuff that keeps my marriage together that I don’t have in common with Ronnie Dunn! I mean, music’s good and everything, but it ain’t enough to keep us running for another 20 years, OK?
Dunn: I’m with you, hoss. Ditto on that … hoss.
- Listen to “The Love She Left Behind,” the first single from Chris Jones & The Night Driver‘s upcoming album Cloud of Dust. The song feature harmony vocals from Darrin Vincent and Jones’ wife, Sally.
- Farce the Music parodied the lyrics of Reba McEntire’s “Strange” with a song by the name of “Skank.”
- Asleep at the Wheel is uploading one track a week from a concert at The Lone Star Cafe in New York City from July 1, 1980. The songs are available as free downloads if you enter your email address.
- Country Universe’s Leeann Ward is soliciting recommendations for religious albums.
- The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum announced on Wednesday that Cindy Walker left her catalog of about 500 songs to the institution when she died in 2006. Since then, the songs have netted more than $500,000 in royalties. The Hall has other plans for the songs as well. Vince Gill, Tony Brown and Fred Foster will invite artists from different musical genres to create new arrangements for Walker’s songs and will serve as producers.
- Watch the new video for Toby Keith‘s “American Ride.”
- Billy Joe Shaver will celebrate his 70th birthday on Friday at the Firehouse Saloon in Houston.
- Listen to “The Guitar,” from Guy Clark‘s upcoming album Somedays The Song Writes You.
- Country Haiku:
I saw some cowboys
Chasing a herd through the sky
This peyote works
- Big Rock Candy Mountain recommends a “Country’n’Western feller” by the name of Eddie Noack. He never really gained a foothold in country music, but was covered by artists like George Jones, Hank Snow, Ernest Tubb and Elvis Costello. Check out some of his tunes at the end of The Mountain’s post.
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."