Chuck Wicks – “Stealing Cinderella”
The release of this single comes at an opportune time, considering I just got married a couple of weeks ago.
I actually caught the premiere of Fox’s new show, Nashville, in which Chuck Wicks and his five o’clock shadow play a part. From what I saw on the show, Wicks was too reserved and calculated to bring much away about his personality or what his goals are as an artist. Knowing that this single had already been released also killed any suspense that the show tried to create when it made you wonder whether or not he would get a deal from Sony.
On to the single: Heartland presented a woman’s marriage from her father’s point of view with the release of their single “I Loved Her First” last year, and now Chuck Wicks is providing the view from the man that’s doing the marrying. I thought the use of Cinderella to describe the father/daughter relationship was odd, considering Cinderella’s father had passed away in the original story. However, upon subsequent listens, I realized that the beginning of the chorus sets up the use of “stealing Cinderella” to work.
I respect my father-in-law quite a bit and even though I haven’t gotten to know him terribly well (we live in different states), I can sense the relationship between him and his daughter and I definitely get the feeling that I’m “Riding in and stealing Cinderella.” The chorus is solid enough to get the idea of the song across, and the sentiment expressed by the song is real, but I think the verses were glossed over and could have done more to support the hook.
All in all, this is a decent effort by a new artist, but we all know where Heartland is now. Or do we?
- Richrd Simerson: Love good old bluegrass music
- Six String Richie: Studio A will be replaced with a dog park, condos and restaurants. Gentrification at it's finest.
- Denise Vernon: Full moon with smell of leaves burning.
- Lisa Phillips: Love the Radio Ramblers! My favorite thing about fall is everything pumpkin.....coffee, cookies, muffins, pie.....etc!
- Sabrina Parnell: Def the cooler temps, football, great food , holidays on the way ,and of course more good country music releases.
- Debbie W: the changing colors of the leaves
- joyce King: I love FALL, the day your album Sept.25th is our wedding anniversary 46th!!! We have a fall Bean Supper, …
- Jim Sibley: I like everything about fall! MLB playoffs, football, end of hot, sticky nights, etc, etc. :-)
- Ron Mullins: Cool nights, smell of autumn and colors, and nice feeling in your heart.
- mike mills: Cool night and hunting