Chris Young – “Gettin’ You Home”
Songwriters: Kent Blazy, Chris Young and Cory Batten.
Simply put, “Gettin’ You Home” is love makin’ music. Or, to be more accurate, “let’s blow this joint and get to love makin’” music.
Chris Young’s fourth single, due to hit radio in early February, is clearly aimed to be the Valentine’s Day song of 2009: Picking up where Josh Turner’s “Your Man” left off, Young’s pleasantly traditional voice produces enough sexual tension to make Brangelina blush.
With the vocal charisma of fellow baritone Turner, Young effectivley conveys the anticipation built throughout a stuffy, fancy night out by flirting his way through the song’s steel-backed chorus: “Walking through the front door/Seein’ your black dress hit the floor/…All I can think about is gettin’ you home.”
Young, the 2006 winner of the USA Network’s Nashville Star, received the competition’s only RCA record deal. However, despite backing by super-producer Buddy Cannon and a Top New Male Vocalist nomination from the Academy of Country Music, his self-titled debut only netted two top 50 singles.
Not without flaws–“Gettin’ You Home” resorts to the occasional lazy rhyme scheme and could be a bit racy for the sippy-cup set–it serves as a rare example of how the traditional sound of early 90s neotraditional country can be done without sounding like it’s been dug out of a time capsule.
“Gettin’ You Home” is pleasingly radio-friendly without feeling like a sell-out, and it should catapult Young into the very small club of successful country reality competition winners. This awkwardly belated follow-up to last May’s largely overlooked “Voices” has the chops to net the singer his first top 10 hit.
Now excuse me while I go grab my black dress.
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.
- Six String Richie: It's great to hear that Sundy Best has a new album coming out. I really encourage anybody that reads …
- Louie: "Brotherly Love," IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith's …
- Erik North: A big loss for not only the Nashville songwriting community, but for songwriting communities everywhere, in my opinion, that Paul …
- luckyoldsun: If they're only allowed one modern inductee per year in the H-o-F, then there's a backlog developing. You have Skaggs, …
- Leeann Ward: I'm not an ETC fan, but I do love "Brotherly Love" with Keith Whitley.
- luckyoldsun: It's got to be "What I'd Say." (I think that's the title.) There was some question, I believe, over whether …
- Paul W Dennis: probably "Nobody Falls Like A Fool" or "Silent Treatment"
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Where in heck's name is "That Was A Close One"?!?!? It's the guy's best song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrR_2rXiKA0
- Cody: Love seeing ETC getting some credit! My five, in no particular order at first; Crowd Around the Corner Home So Fine I Have …