Chris Young – “Gettin’ You Home”
Songwriters: Kent Blazy, Chris Young and Cory Batten.
Simply put, “Gettin’ You Home” is love makin’ music. Or, to be more accurate, “let’s blow this joint and get to love makin’” music.
Chris Young’s fourth single, due to hit radio in early February, is clearly aimed to be the Valentine’s Day song of 2009: Picking up where Josh Turner’s “Your Man” left off, Young’s pleasantly traditional voice produces enough sexual tension to make Brangelina blush.
With the vocal charisma of fellow baritone Turner, Young effectivley conveys the anticipation built throughout a stuffy, fancy night out by flirting his way through the song’s steel-backed chorus: “Walking through the front door/Seein’ your black dress hit the floor/…All I can think about is gettin’ you home.”
Young, the 2006 winner of the USA Network’s Nashville Star, received the competition’s only RCA record deal. However, despite backing by super-producer Buddy Cannon and a Top New Male Vocalist nomination from the Academy of Country Music, his self-titled debut only netted two top 50 singles.
Not without flaws–”Gettin’ You Home” resorts to the occasional lazy rhyme scheme and could be a bit racy for the sippy-cup set–it serves as a rare example of how the traditional sound of early 90s neotraditional country can be done without sounding like it’s been dug out of a time capsule.
“Gettin’ You Home” is pleasingly radio-friendly without feeling like a sell-out, and it should catapult Young into the very small club of successful country reality competition winners. This awkwardly belated follow-up to last May’s largely overlooked “Voices” has the chops to net the singer his first top 10 hit.
Now excuse me while I go grab my black dress.
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …