Chris LeDoux To Encore With “Ridin’ For A Fall” Video
- Capitol Nashville/EMI will honor the legacy of Chris LeDoux on April 29th with a new CD/DVD collection titled Classic Chris LeDoux.
Among the 15 audio tracks and 15 videos on the new collection are LeDoux’s “Bang A Drum” with Jon Bon Jovi, “Whatcha Gonna Do With A Cowboy” with Garth Brooks, and the music video for “Ridin’ For A Fall,” making its commercial release debut.
- John T. Davis says for the first in his experience, Willie Nelson wasn’t wearing his woven red, white and blue guitar strap on stage Tuesday night. Nelson’s long-time road manager Poodie Locke said the strap had begun hurting Willie’s neck, so they had to find him something softer. Despite the missing piece of Willie lore, Davis says that “rodeos agree with Willie Nelson,” who was joined by his 6-year-old great-grandson to close the performance with “Peaceful Solution.”
- I think Sarah Buxton is excited about her ACM nomination!
- Peter Cooper calls Ashton Shepherd a breath of fresh air for people wearied by the status quo. Alison Bonaguro is inclined to agree, however some of her readers feel differently.
- The Lost Highway’s Matt B. put together a terrific list of pop/rock songs that would make good covers in the country music genre, and he even listed which country artist he’d like to see cover the song. With Blake Shelton’s recent cover of “Home” and the success of Gary Allan’s cover of “Best I Ever Had,” it’d be interesting to come up with a list of other pop/rock songs that have already made good country songs and vice versa (Janis Joplin’s “Me and Bobby McGee,” anyone?). But yea, head over to The Lost Highway and leave your suggestions.
- Calvin Gilbert says it was exhilarating to hear Garth Brooks back in his element — on stage. Brooks performed a brief set at CRS “that included ‘Callin’ Baton Rouge,’ ‘Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)’ and ‘The Dance.'”
- Accolades for The Steeldrivers continue to roll in.
- Over the weekend Charlie Daniels took part in a christening of a ship that is being partly constructed from the wreckage of the World Trade Center.
- Meet the girls of alt-folk (is that the same thing as alt-country?) with recent album releases: Carlene Carter, Sheryl Crow, Shelby Lynne, Allison Moorer, Tift Merritt and Kathleen Edwards. Chuck Eddy tries to weave a common thread through all of their music with varying degrees of success. (via Twang Nation)
- Bill Friskics-Warren has a nice write up of the new Carlene Carter album, Stronger.
- Waylon Payne — son of artist Sammi Smith “Help Me Make It Through The Night” and Willie guitarist Jodie Payne — released his debut CD four years ago, but it’ll be reissued through a small Nashville label on March 11. You might know him better as the actor who portrayed Jerry Lee Lewis in the movie “Walk the Line.”
- The latest music mix from Barstool Mountain is entitled Bad Livers and includes drinking songs from Porter Wagoner, The Derailers, Ray Price, Johnny Bush and more.
- On Trent Willmon’s latest album, Broken In, he tries to straddle the line between mainstream country and Americana. “I’ve been branded as too Texas for Nashville and too Nashville for Texas,” he says. ” I don’t know exactly what that means, but at some point you have to pledge allegiance to one or the other.” Perhaps it’s that lack of focus keeping him from bigger success.
- If you’re reading through a feed reader, click through to the site to view our new footer. We’ve included a section of free music that we come across, the most recent articles from some of our favorite blogs, and various events in country music history that happened on the current day. Check it out and let us know what you think.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, That's a good point, as far as country itself being a word that refers to a lot more than a …
- Six String Richie: Also, in regards to that article, Aldean's #2 complaint was "Nashville Copycats" and he gripes that people are copping Luke …
- Six String Richie: Billboard misprinted his new single as "Burnin' It Up" in that article! That goes to show how little even …
- CraigR.: Here are 5 things that piss me off about Jason Aldean: 1. He is a sore winner. Why complain when you …
- Barry Mazor: The words "country" and jazz (or "jass") and blues had been around for decades before they became genres (or formats) …
- Jeff Miller: Yeah, the first time I played Jimmie Rodgers for my wife & daughter- they were aghast that he was singing …
- David Cantwell: I think it more helpful to think of Americana not as a genre but as a format--and, perhaps better, and …
- Juli Thanki: That would definitely be better than Marvel's hilariously terrible Billy Ray Cyrus comic book, released in 1995. http://4thletter.net/2009/02/billy-ray-cyrus-the-marvel-comic-book-yes-really/
- Applejack: "I’m sure there are many ways to lasso in and constrict any genre or format, any of them, so tightly …
- Emily: Wow!! Fabulous! Love those boots and you all look stunning! xo