Chris LeDoux To Encore With “Ridin’ For A Fall” Video
- Capitol Nashville/EMI will honor the legacy of Chris LeDoux on April 29th with a new CD/DVD collection titled Classic Chris LeDoux.
Among the 15 audio tracks and 15 videos on the new collection are LeDoux’s “Bang A Drum” with Jon Bon Jovi, “Whatcha Gonna Do With A Cowboy” with Garth Brooks, and the music video for “Ridin’ For A Fall,” making its commercial release debut.
- John T. Davis says for the first in his experience, Willie Nelson wasn’t wearing his woven red, white and blue guitar strap on stage Tuesday night. Nelson’s long-time road manager Poodie Locke said the strap had begun hurting Willie’s neck, so they had to find him something softer. Despite the missing piece of Willie lore, Davis says that “rodeos agree with Willie Nelson,” who was joined by his 6-year-old great-grandson to close the performance with “Peaceful Solution.”
- I think Sarah Buxton is excited about her ACM nomination!
- Peter Cooper calls Ashton Shepherd a breath of fresh air for people wearied by the status quo. Alison Bonaguro is inclined to agree, however some of her readers feel differently.
- The Lost Highway’s Matt B. put together a terrific list of pop/rock songs that would make good covers in the country music genre, and he even listed which country artist he’d like to see cover the song. With Blake Shelton’s recent cover of “Home” and the success of Gary Allan’s cover of “Best I Ever Had,” it’d be interesting to come up with a list of other pop/rock songs that have already made good country songs and vice versa (Janis Joplin’s “Me and Bobby McGee,” anyone?). But yea, head over to The Lost Highway and leave your suggestions.
- Calvin Gilbert says it was exhilarating to hear Garth Brooks back in his element — on stage. Brooks performed a brief set at CRS “that included ‘Callin’ Baton Rouge,’ ‘Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)’ and ‘The Dance.'”
- Accolades for The Steeldrivers continue to roll in.
- Over the weekend Charlie Daniels took part in a christening of a ship that is being partly constructed from the wreckage of the World Trade Center.
- Meet the girls of alt-folk (is that the same thing as alt-country?) with recent album releases: Carlene Carter, Sheryl Crow, Shelby Lynne, Allison Moorer, Tift Merritt and Kathleen Edwards. Chuck Eddy tries to weave a common thread through all of their music with varying degrees of success. (via Twang Nation)
- Bill Friskics-Warren has a nice write up of the new Carlene Carter album, Stronger.
- Waylon Payne — son of artist Sammi Smith “Help Me Make It Through The Night” and Willie guitarist Jodie Payne — released his debut CD four years ago, but it’ll be reissued through a small Nashville label on March 11. You might know him better as the actor who portrayed Jerry Lee Lewis in the movie “Walk the Line.”
- The latest music mix from Barstool Mountain is entitled Bad Livers and includes drinking songs from Porter Wagoner, The Derailers, Ray Price, Johnny Bush and more.
- On Trent Willmon’s latest album, Broken In, he tries to straddle the line between mainstream country and Americana. “I’ve been branded as too Texas for Nashville and too Nashville for Texas,” he says. ” I don’t know exactly what that means, but at some point you have to pledge allegiance to one or the other.” Perhaps it’s that lack of focus keeping him from bigger success.
- If you’re reading through a feed reader, click through to the site to view our new footer. We’ve included a section of free music that we come across, the most recent articles from some of our favorite blogs, and various events in country music history that happened on the current day. Check it out and let us know what you think.
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.