Charlie Worsham and Ashley Monroe Collaborate; Kasey Anderson Sentenced; Dolly Participates in Tenn. Tourism Campaign
- Americana singer-songwriter Kasey Anderson was sentenced to nearly four years in prison; he must also pay nearly $600,000 in restitution after bilking investors for a nonexistent charity album.
- Here’s Dolly Parton performing “My Tennessee Mountain Home” for the state’s new tourism campaign. (warning: autoplay)
- Eric Banister interviewed Michael Jarrett, author of Producing Country: The Inside Story of the Great Recordings.
- Laura Cantrell to The Chicago Sun-Times: “For me country music is a type of soul music…The emotional content, whether it’s heartache or joy or longing for home, tucks into these songs in a way that’s very natural. I feel these songs are the highest level of songcraft you can experience. I look for threads of that to bring into and inspire contemporary country songs.”
- Stephen Deusner reviewed Country Funk, Vol. II for Pitchfork.
- Mike Barnett of The Deadly Gentlemen is releasing a solo album called One Song Romance on Compass Records August 19. The record includes guest appearances by Noam Pikelny, Tim O’Brien, Aoife O’Donovan, and more. (via press release)
- The National Geographic website posted a photo gallery of Nashville’s music scene.
- Check out Tim Easton’s “Don’t Spectate, Participate.”
- Charlie Worsham and Ashley Monroe collaborating? Yes, please. The two artists have written multiple songs together, one with the hook “I hope I’m stoned when Jesus takes me home.”
- Peter Cooper looks at Jim Reeves’ legacy in today’s Tennessean.
- The Band Perry and Miranda Lambert will perform on the television special Fashion Rocks September 9. The show organizers must not know that the Perry boys dress like vampire Monkees.
- American Songwriter premiered Steelism’s “The Blind Beggar.”
- C.M. Wilcox looks at the buzz surrounding Maddie & Tae. An excerpt from his post: “Oddly, the modern sound of “Girl in a Country Song” might limit its appeal among those who agree so heartily with its message that they already left country radio for the more fertile pastures of roots or Americana and never looked back. Even as it rides a wave of anti-bro sentiment, ‘Girl in a Country Song’ doesn’t seem built for preaching to that choir. Rather, it’s a song for the in-between space where change actually happens: Enough to tip the scale, but not so much that it comes crashing down. If the sheen turns you off and you wish they’d excoriated Luke Bryan & Co. even more mercilessly, this isn’t for you. For the audience it’s aiming to reach, it’s exactly right. And probably pretty important.”
- Watch a previously unreleased clip of Crosby, Stills & Nash performing at Woodstock.
- 82-year-old Alabaman Raymond Cohen shares his memories of Hank Williams in this brief article.
Before he became a headliner at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, Tennessee, Hank performed on the floor above the Cohen family’s record store on Dexter Avenue, just down from the Capitol. It was a dilapidated building known as the “Grand Theater,” where music lovers couldn’t wait to hear Hank and his unmistakable twangy voice. When he wasn’t performing Saturday nights, Hank would drop by during the day to chat with Raymond and talk about the hottest records or ask to see the latest copy of Billboard magazine.
“He’d listen and then cover them when he wasn’t doing his own material,” said Raymond, whose reputation in Alabama’s music circles was such that, one day, he attended a meeting with Hank and Decca Records executives who were interested in signing him to a contract.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …