Charley Pride Joins White House Lineup; Jack Ingram Schedules ‘Big Dreams'; New Releases
- Charley Pride will join Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss and Union Station at the White House today to perform as part of an educational workshop about Country music. The event will be streamed live on the internet starting at 6:25 PM/CT.
- Ken Tucker recently conducted an interview with Scott Borchetta which landed in the pages of Billboard. Unfortunately the full interview couldn’t be included, so he published the “leftovers” on his blog. Borchetta discussed his evolving role at Big Machine, signing Fast Ryde, and a few of the logistics behind multiple Taylor Swift re-releases.
- Listen to “Long Gone Long Forgotten” from Ethyl & the Regulars, a band Songs:Illinois says serves up some of the best honky-tonk on the East Coast.
New releases for the week of July 21, 2009 include:
Always Been A Rambler (DVD)
Amazon: A treasure trove of recently filmed and rare archival footage, photos, and music, this film includes performances and interviews by The New Lost City Ramblers, Maybelle and Sara Carter, David Grisman, Pete Seeger, Ricky Skaggs, Doc Watson, and many other masters of old time music.
- Country California: Whose new material has disappointed you? If you had to pull one more single from that artist’s last studio album to buy them time to work on the new stuff, which song would you choose?
- Jack Ingram‘s third studio album for Big Machine, Big Dreams & High Hopes, is scheduled for an August 25 release.
- Listen to Steve Earle on Mountain Stage.
- From a musical standpoint, Michael Bialas says Jennifer and Kristian (Sugarland) go together like Johnny and June or Sonny and Cher.
- Craig Havighurst, author of Air Castle of the South: WSM and the Making of Music City, responded to the article in The Tennessean asking, “Is country crushing Nashville’s creativity?”
- Today, Gary Allan will face his alleged stalker in court.
- Listen to Michelle Branch‘s new solo single, “Sooner or Later.”
- Luke McBain, the title character for a new four-issue comic book series by the same name, is based on the real-life Trace Adkins.
- Farce the Music has a John Rich cut-out for your punching bags.
- Bob Lefsetz is fired up about a recent Keith Urban concert he attended.
The opening act last night was Lady Antebellum, sitting in for an ailing Sugarland. They covered “You Shook Me All Night Long” and “Boys Of Summer”. If AC/DC were starting off today would they have to go country? The Eagles ARE country. The Nashville market is the last bastion of real music. Actual songs played on real instruments. And that’s what you got with Keith Urban, real music.
- Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush took to YouTube to explain why they had to cancel two shows in California over the weekend, including a Kenny Chesney show and the aforementioned Keith Urban concert.
- Friends of Old Time Music posted two more Jimmy Martin & His Sunny Mountain Boys vinyl rips: 1969’s Free Born Man and 1972’s I’d Like To Be Sixteen Again (And Know What I Know Now).
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …