Celebrate Poetry Month With Shel Silverstein Reissues
- Shel Silverstein’s 1969 country album Boy Named Sue has been reissued by Water Records and includes liner notes from Chet Flippo.
- George Jones performed a 30-song concert on Monday night that lasted for over 90 minutes. Robert Reid says his voice showed signs of wear, but it never abandoned him. (via ggcolumn)
“I listen to the radio and I don’t hear the good, old drinking songs no more, and those cheating songs,” he observed before launching into The Race On. “I’m gonna do a bunch of those buggers tonight.”
- The Wilders’ latest album, Someone’s Got To Pay, revolves around band member Phil Wade’s experience on the jury of a first-degree murder case. Melissa Brown says the 20-track album could have used some editing, but describes it as consistently solid, ear-popping, and reminiscent of old-time country.
- After only three studio albums Dierks Bentley admits to feeling like it’s “a little soon” for a greatest hits album but Capitol Nashville urged the release.
- John Goodspeed says fans of the Randy Rogers Band, Cory Morrow, and Eleven Hundred Springs should acquaint themselves with Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen.
Commander Cody and his bunch of fine-tuned musicians — taking their name from a science-fiction film series from the 1950s — were at the forefront of a musical revolution in the late 1960s and through the ’70s that blurred the line between country and rock that continues to this day.
- Check out Vince Gill’s new, shorter haircut. (via CMT Blog)
- Country Weekly’s David Scarlett sat down with Trent Willmon in his home back in January for an interesting interview. He talks about the meaning behind different belonging in his house, an acting role he landed in Palo Pinto Gold, and the music on his new album, Broken In.
- Publishers Weekly has a quick summary of Willie Nelson: An Epic Life. (via Still Is Still Moving)
Writing with an affectionate country twang, Patoski gives his subject the consideration he deserves in a fine, fluid piece of storytelling that any Nelson fan will appreciate.
- The live recording of Willie Nelson and Wynton Marsalis from January will be released on June 10 on an album titled Two Men With the Blues.
- YouTube video of Dale Watson performing “The Ballad of Billy Joe” at Austin’s Broken Spoke.
- Answer seven short questions for the guys over at Little Dog Records and they’ll send you a free mp3 track of your choosing from their download store. If you need any help choosing, I’d recommend checking out Adam Hood and Moot Davis.
- Listen to George Strait talk about each track on his latest album, Troubadour.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.