Celebrate Poetry Month With Shel Silverstein Reissues
- Shel Silverstein’s 1969 country album Boy Named Sue has been reissued by Water Records and includes liner notes from Chet Flippo.
- George Jones performed a 30-song concert on Monday night that lasted for over 90 minutes. Robert Reid says his voice showed signs of wear, but it never abandoned him. (via ggcolumn)
“I listen to the radio and I don’t hear the good, old drinking songs no more, and those cheating songs,” he observed before launching into The Race On. “I’m gonna do a bunch of those buggers tonight.”
- The Wilders’ latest album, Someone’s Got To Pay, revolves around band member Phil Wade’s experience on the jury of a first-degree murder case. Melissa Brown says the 20-track album could have used some editing, but describes it as consistently solid, ear-popping, and reminiscent of old-time country.
- After only three studio albums Dierks Bentley admits to feeling like it’s “a little soon” for a greatest hits album but Capitol Nashville urged the release.
- John Goodspeed says fans of the Randy Rogers Band, Cory Morrow, and Eleven Hundred Springs should acquaint themselves with Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen.
Commander Cody and his bunch of fine-tuned musicians — taking their name from a science-fiction film series from the 1950s — were at the forefront of a musical revolution in the late 1960s and through the ’70s that blurred the line between country and rock that continues to this day.
- Check out Vince Gill’s new, shorter haircut. (via CMT Blog)
- Country Weekly’s David Scarlett sat down with Trent Willmon in his home back in January for an interesting interview. He talks about the meaning behind different belonging in his house, an acting role he landed in Palo Pinto Gold, and the music on his new album, Broken In.
- Publishers Weekly has a quick summary of Willie Nelson: An Epic Life. (via Still Is Still Moving)
Writing with an affectionate country twang, Patoski gives his subject the consideration he deserves in a fine, fluid piece of storytelling that any Nelson fan will appreciate.
- The live recording of Willie Nelson and Wynton Marsalis from January will be released on June 10 on an album titled Two Men With the Blues.
- YouTube video of Dale Watson performing “The Ballad of Billy Joe” at Austin’s Broken Spoke.
- Answer seven short questions for the guys over at Little Dog Records and they’ll send you a free mp3 track of your choosing from their download store. If you need any help choosing, I’d recommend checking out Adam Hood and Moot Davis.
- Listen to George Strait talk about each track on his latest album, Troubadour.
- Bobby P.: Thanks for the link to my one hit wonder article!
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …