Tribute albums tend to be hit or miss. For every A Tribute to the Best Damn Fiddle Player in the World (Or, My Salute to Bob Wills), there’s a Tapestry Revisited. Don Rigsby’s salute to Ralph Stanley, Doctor’s Orders, released earlier this year, already ranks high on my list of favorite tribute records, along with Livin’, Lovin’, Losin’ (which Charlie […]
There’s been a lot of news around technology lately centered around music cloud services from Amazon, Apple and Google. Amazon won the race in launching first, bringing cloud services to its users in early April. Labels weren’t happy, as the company didn’t secure new licensing; instead, Amazon said the service did not need licenses since […]
Today marks Record Store Day, a day-long celebration of independent music store retailers, limited-edition releases and in-store performances. This week, the Chicagoist took a look at the history and business sides of the “holiday”: Founded in in 2007 by individuals from several corners of the music industry — including education, A&R, and promotions — Record […]
Country music is known for its tear-jerkers, a fact not lost on the Vidalia Onion Committee. [Insert your own Sammy Kershaw joke here.] The industry association is set to launch a campaign featuring country artists Vince Gill, Billy Currington, Gary Allan and Ashton Shepherd. The promotion is in conjunction with Universal Music Group Nashville and […]
The Academy of Country Music awards have snuck up on us this year, running this Sunday night on CBS. Miranda Lambert and Ronnie Dunn announced the nominees at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum in Nashville back in February 1: ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR Jason Aldean Toby Keith Miranda Lambert Brad Paisley Taylor […]
Along with its usual basketball and St. Patrick’s Day calamity, the biggest madness March has seen so far stems from an autotuned song about the weekend. Virtually unknown until a week ago, Rebecca Black had dominated YouTube, Facebook and Twitter conversations with her song and video “Friday”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0 Music blogger Bob Lefsetz used Black as […]
Thursday on the blog, Blake reviewed Brad Paisley’s new single “Old Alabama,” which pays tribute to, well, old Alabama songs. The song received a thumbs down, and was criticized in the comment section as well. However, a few people were excited to hear the supergroup on radio again – regardless of how it was packaged. […]
Clay Walker’s latest single “Where Do I Go From You” is making its way up country charts right now, on the heels of his top five hit “She Won’t Be Lonely Long.” I reviewed the song Friday on the blog, which I thought struck a nice balance between old and new: His neotraditional sound fit […]
American Idol, Season Without Simon Cowell kicked off this week with the final 24 contestants hitting the stage in front of returning judge Randy Jackson and newcomers Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler. Country music and American Idol have an interesting history together, with high(ish) highs (Carrie Underwood, Kellie Pickler and the Randy Travis mentor session) […]
In Monday’s News Roundup, Brody linked to a CMT News item on upcoming books on country artists, the country music industry, songwriting and more. Country music has no shortage of interesting characters and stories that would exceed even a fiction writer’s imagination. Biographies due out include memoirs from Shania Twain, George Jones’ daughter Georgette and, […]
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.