Songwriters: Rodney Clawson, Jesse Alexander and Jon Randall Those fuzzy hours between the first sip of a strong drink and Sunday morning coming down can sometimes end up a bit troubling. What happened? Was that slurring, shouted karaoke session funny, pathetic or some combination thereof? Could the night be considered one for the record books, […]
Songwriters: Craig Campbell, Jason Matthews and Jim McCormick Craig Campbell seemed to pop out of nowhere with little fanfare or buzz when his debut single “Family Man,” a grounded narrative about blue-collar home life, steadily climbed the country charts into the top 15. The song, off his self-titled album, had that elusive commercial and critical […]
Songwriter: Taylor Swift The sixth single from Speak Now (the fifth one released to country radio) is one the album’s most understated, almost folky by country radio standards, tracks. If previous chart-topper “Sparks Fly” is representative of one of Swift’s slick, sold out arena shoes, then “Ours” is a song for the coffee shop (or […]
Songwriter: Donna Ulisse Well, it’s the holiday season, which means that, short of moving into an abandoned missile silo, for the next four weeks you won’t be able to escape a near-constant soundtrack of Christmas music. Luckily, bluegrass songbird Donna Ulisse has a new Christmas song that will soothe even the Grinchiest of hearts. “You […]
Songwriters: Chris Stapleton and Al Anderson For those who find comfort in the familiar, George Strait is the romantic ideal. Much has been made of his stunning track record, but the flashy numbers on his scorecard (44 No. 1 singles, 33 platinum albums) are a tribute to a mind-boggling consistency that has nothing to do […]
Songwriters: Brett Beavers, Jim Beavers, Brett Warren and Brad Warren Toby Keith’s new single “Red Solo Cup” is silly, gimmicky, and, according to the artist himself, pretty stupid. But after releasing a long line of singles that cornered the embarrassing country song market and ticked off every box on that grating checklist, it’s refreshing to […]
Songwriters: Jon Stone, Phil Barton, and Johnny Bulford Lee Brice is well aware that sometimes the little things eventually add up to something bigger. When the country music newcomer released his single “Love Like Crazy” last year, it took 46 weeks to reach the top ten. More than two months later it was still on […]
Songwriters: Dierks Bentley, Brett Beavers and Dan Wilson Patriotic country songs are a bit of a double-edged sword. While no song is an automatic license to print money, a rah-rah, pro-U.S. anthem is pretty close. Just release a single with “America” in the title, and watch it soar up the charts. Get really lucky, and […]
Songwriters: Sunny Sweeney, Monty Holmes Sunny Sweeney’s past two singles, “From a Table Away” and “Staying’s Worse Than Leaving” show her ability to deliver a damn fine country weeper. But Sweeney can also cut loose with the best of them, as she shows on this rowdy track. “Drink Myself Single,” co-written with Monty Holmes (who’s […]
Songwriters: Luke Bryan, Dallas Davidson, Rhett Akins and Ben Hayslip With his last single “Country Girl (Shake it for Me),” Luke Bryan finally forged a memorable identity in mainstream country music. Before the ubiquitous hit took over airwaves this summer, he came close with “Rain is a Good Thing,” a similarly lust-soaked tune about females […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.