Songwriters: Rivers Rutherford and Jamie Lynn Spears It’s been 20 years since Alan Jackson first warned us about an impending stampede of stiff, slick-soled cowboy boots in “Gone Country.” Two decades later, country music continues to attract artists of various musical backgrounds for some of the same reasons illustrated in the song’s complex character sketches. […]
Songwriters: Tammi Lynn Kidd, Fred Wilhelm and Kyle Jacobs Since releasing 2012’s critically acclaimed 100 Proof to little success at country radio, Kellie Pickler took an alternate route to mainstream visibility in 2013. She shaved off her long blonde hair in support of a friend’s battle with cancer and joined Dancing with the Stars. Her […]
Songwriters: Charlie Worsham, Ryan Tyndell and Marty Dodson There’s a new Diamond Rio tune climbing the current country charts at a good clip–or at least it sure sounds like it. Instead of heralded harmonizer Marty Roe, however, it’s newcomer Charlie Worsham doing his best catchy, sweet “Meet in the Middle” impression on new track “Could […]
Songwriters: Hunter Hayes, Lori McKenna, Troy Verges There has been a whole lot of crazy being sent to country radio stations lately. Tyler Farr offered up “Redneck Crazy,” which, if the song is any indication, is completely different from regular old crazy. “Girls are Crazy,” from Joanna Smith, stands out in a year where the […]
Songwriters: Brett Eldredge and Jeremy Spillman Trace Adkins’ first single from his new album Love Will… poses an interesting question: if the world were ending, how would you spend those final hours? A nice change, for sure, from the usual “if there was a fire, what would you save?” conversation starter, and from country radio’s […]
Songwriters: Brad Paisley, Luke Laird and Chris DuBois And now, ladies and gentlemen, commentary on a new Brad Paisley song other than “Accidental Racist.” With all of the attention around that LL Cool J collaboration, it could be easy to lose Paisley’s second single in the chaos. Luckily, the only commotion around “Beat This Summer” […]
Songwriters: Gretchen Wilson and Vicky McGehee If you’re looking for a reason to start caring about Gretchen Wilson’s music again, new single “Still Rollin’” ain’t it. The redneck woman who made white trash cool again–just to watch Jason Aldean and Miranda Lambert usurp her territory–turns to classic rock for inspiration here, drawing out the titular […]
Songwriters: David Lee Murphy, Ross Copperman Even though a good chunk of the country has been buried under snow or bailing out because of rain lately, it’s close enough to summer that the “fun” beach-y summer singles are starting to trickle in to country radio stations. Kenny Chesney’s “Pirate Flag” is leading the charge this […]
Songwriters: Carson Chamberlain, Ashley Gorley and Wade Kirby Despite being self-titled, Easton Corbin’s 2008 debut album drew many comparisons to established country names with similarly deep voices and tight, clever songs wrapped in steel guitar. And while sounding like George Strait or Joe Nichols doesn’t hurt the buzz around a new artist, it certainly sets the […]
Songwriters: Nicolle Clawson (aka Nicolle Galyon), Jimmy Robbins, and Chris Tompkins Last year, Blake Shelton managed to nab the coveted CMA Entertainer of the Year award by leveraging his larger than life personality, social media savvy, and a spot on one of primetime television’s most popular talent shows. It was an interesting shift in the […]
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …