For one four-day period in September, Nashville sheds its commercial country image and Americana Fest banners dot the lamp posts along Music Row. During that time, the words, sounds and melodies take the place of image, dollar signs and auto tune–and Nashville becomes the envy–not the perceived antithesis–of the roots music world. Over the next […]
Eights Years After Forming, Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives Play First Full-Show In Nashville
Photo by James Minchin It’s hard to imagine that last night was the first time Marty Stuart and the Fabulous Superlatives performed a full show on a Nashville stage. After all, Stuart is one of those omniscient Nashville figures who could/will pop up anywhere in town. He hosts his own show on RFD-TV and frequents […]
It’s not often the venue for any concert is as much a part of the discussion as the performance, but for the Wynonna Judd show during the Lake Tahoe Music Festival at Northstar at Tahoe this past Saturday, that was definitely the case. Quite the unique experience awaits attendees as they pull into Northstar at […]
Saturday in Atlanta was a balmy 97 degrees, with about 100 percent humidity. Inside of Eddie’s Attic, however, it was at least a degree or two cooler, providing a minuscule amount of relief to the musicians who stepped under the stage lights that night. Miraculously, nobody passed out from the heat, though brows were mopped […]
As the torch bearer of Western swing for multiple generations now, I’m sure Ray Benson had numerous motivations for creating a musical about Bob Wills. As artists get older, it’s only natural for them to want to open up new mediums of expression. A Ride With Bob allows Benson to do that very thing while […]
I’m not the type of person who travels 2700 miles for a concert. The best part about living in DC is that nearly all genres of music can be found just a short walk or Metro ride away. But on Monday, I found myself flying cross-country to Sacramento for the third annual Golf & Guitars […]
Country music was alive and well at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville last night as Hank Williams Jr. rolled into town with his Rowdy “Friendz”—Jamey Johnson, Eric Church, and The Grascals. Bocephus—who’s 58 now—does only about 20 shows per year and isn’t shy about the fact that he plays where he wants and with whom […]
Country music has long been about establishing (and often fabricating) authenticity. Regardless of a singer’s actual background, upbringing, and lifestyle, there’s always been a sense of having to prove one’s country cred. As of late, this trend has led to a slew of backwoods-boasting singles that feature tired stereotypes and worn-out characters. That being said, […]
Turn on the radio at any time in the past half-decade and chances are that a song written by Kelley Lovelace, Rivers Rutherford, or Dave Berg will be on. Those three writers have more hits to their credit than some baseball players. Last night at the Hard Rock Café, each songwriter showcased their individual talents—which […]
When the Tin Pan South schedule rolled out earlier this month, a few people had to have been scratching their heads over the round including Trace Adkins, Jeff Bates, Kenny Beard, and Sherrie Austin at 3rd and Lindsley. For one, you have a consistent hit-maker but non existent hit-writer in Adkins. Then, you have two […]
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …
- Jeremy Dylan: I did a podcast on Joni Mitchell's BLUE album recently and was wondering if there was a good bio of …
- Leeann Ward: Well, that was a mighty unnecessarily flippant comment I just made there and the better angels of my nature make …