It seems as though The Supreme Fabulettes were right when they sang “a drag queen is a cowboy’s best friend.” Drag queens have used hyper-feminine, rhinestoned country divas like Dolly Parton and Tammy Wynette as inspiration for decades, and country music seems to have embraced the world of drag as well. In recent years, Pam Tillis […]
What are your favorite country Christmas songs? Here are a few (okay, 85) of ours.
Perhaps some of you are thankful for your friendly neighborhood sex worker this Thanksgiving. Or you just want to hear some songs about them. The five ladies of the night mentioned below could give Julia Roberts’ Pretty Woman a run for her money. 5. Statler Brothers – “Bed of Rose’s” Rose, a madam who is shunned […]
Tomorrow, Dan Penn turns 72. The songwriter/singer/producer is behind a slew of soul classics from the ’60s and 70s; a quick spin through my iTunes reveals more than 70 songs that he wrote, co-wrote, or produced, including “Cry Like a Baby,” “I’m Your Puppet,” “Slippin’ Around,” and “Out of Left Field” — I tried to […]
Just as it was when we tackled a Friday Five about the Country Bear Jamboree back in 2011, Disneyland is on the mind of this Engine 145 writer, who is probably waiting in the “It’s a Small World” line with his kids as you’re reading this. The title of “Happiest Place on Earth” goes to […]
Lyle Lovett was born on this date in 1957; three decades later, he would release his first record. Since that self-titled album came out, Lovett has released a number of albums, got married and divorced from Julia Roberts, got trampled by a bull, acted in a number of different television series and movies and, most […]
Ken Morton delivered the first installment of ghostly country songs last week. Today, we add a few more to the list. 5. David Ball – “Riding with Private Malone” Who needs airbags when your classic Corvette comes with a ghost who’ll save your life after a wreck? 4. Chelle Rose – “Browder Holler Boy” […]
Ghosts. Phantoms. Shadows. Specters. Apparitions. Banshees. Poltergeists. Around Halloween, these fellows seem to be everywhere from the grocery store to the stereo. As we approach Dia de Muertos, let’s pause and celebrate five of our favorite songs that feature these little creatures, and stay tuned for more ghostly installments. 5. Logan Brill – “No Such […]
There are many songs about those who’ve been sentenced to death, but fewer about those on the other end of the rope. Here are five. 5. Fairport Convention – “Poor Will and the Jolly Hangman” “Here’s to the jolly hangman / He’ll hang you the best that he can.” That sounds comforting; if I were […]
Twenty years ago today, the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame inducted one of the strongest classes it’s ever had: Don Schlitz, Red Lane, and Conway Twitty. The Hall of Fame just opened a new permanent exhibition gallery as part of the opening of the new Music City Center in Nashville and these three artists are […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.