With its punk influences and generous use of synthesizers, New Wave is pretty far removed from country on the musical spectrum. However, in the past decade or so, several roots artists have been putting out some damn good New Wave covers. Here are six of my favorites; what are yours? Bonus Track: Sturgill Simpson – […]
At E145 HQ, we’ve been listening to a lot of Amelia White, a singer-songwriter whose deeply personal Americana songs have appeared on shows like Justified and drawn comparisons to the works of Lucinda Williams and Mary Gauthier. We asked Amelia about the five records that influenced her while making her new album, Old Postcard (out […]
It seems as though The Supreme Fabulettes were right when they sang “a drag queen is a cowboy’s best friend.” Drag queens have used hyper-feminine, rhinestoned country divas like Dolly Parton and Tammy Wynette as inspiration for decades, and country music seems to have embraced the world of drag as well. In recent years, Pam Tillis […]
What are your favorite country Christmas songs? Here are a few (okay, 85) of ours.
Perhaps some of you are thankful for your friendly neighborhood sex worker this Thanksgiving. Or you just want to hear some songs about them. The five ladies of the night mentioned below could give Julia Roberts’ Pretty Woman a run for her money. 5. Statler Brothers – “Bed of Rose’s” Rose, a madam who is shunned […]
Tomorrow, Dan Penn turns 72. The songwriter/singer/producer is behind a slew of soul classics from the ’60s and 70s; a quick spin through my iTunes reveals more than 70 songs that he wrote, co-wrote, or produced, including “Cry Like a Baby,” “I’m Your Puppet,” “Slippin’ Around,” and “Out of Left Field” — I tried to […]
Just as it was when we tackled a Friday Five about the Country Bear Jamboree back in 2011, Disneyland is on the mind of this Engine 145 writer, who is probably waiting in the “It’s a Small World” line with his kids as you’re reading this. The title of “Happiest Place on Earth” goes to […]
Lyle Lovett was born on this date in 1957; three decades later, he would release his first record. Since that self-titled album came out, Lovett has released a number of albums, got married and divorced from Julia Roberts, got trampled by a bull, acted in a number of different television series and movies and, most […]
Ken Morton delivered the first installment of ghostly country songs last week. Today, we add a few more to the list. 5. David Ball – “Riding with Private Malone” Who needs airbags when your classic Corvette comes with a ghost who’ll save your life after a wreck? 4. Chelle Rose – “Browder Holler Boy” […]
Ghosts. Phantoms. Shadows. Specters. Apparitions. Banshees. Poltergeists. Around Halloween, these fellows seem to be everywhere from the grocery store to the stereo. As we approach Dia de Muertos, let’s pause and celebrate five of our favorite songs that feature these little creatures, and stay tuned for more ghostly installments. 5. Logan Brill – “No Such […]
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.