Songster Dom Flemons rose to prominence in the American roots music scene as a founding member of The Carolina Chocolate Drops, where his charismatic stage presence was backed with an extensive knowledge of music history — nearly everyone who attended a Chocolate Drops concert left at the end of the evening having learned something new. […]
We’re halfway through 2014 and there’s been some damn good roots music released this year, ranging from harpist Maeve Gilchrist’s Celtic folk to St. Paul & The Broken Bones’ retro soul to bluegrass band Special Consensus’ tribute to John Denver to Suzy Bogguss’ salute to Merle Haggard. Today could have been a Friday Fifty, but […]
The Canadian snowbird Anne Murray celebrates her 69th birthday today and, as a result, she lays claim to this week’s Friday Five. (I’m sure that this was high on her wish list.) Murray had an enormous amount of success in the 1970s and 1980s and curiously, doesn’t come up much in discussions about who might […]
Today is the 70th anniversary of D-Day, one of the most monumental events in history; but for this Friday Five, we’re going to go back a bit further in time: 2014 also marks the 100th anniversary of the beginning of World War I. Here are five songs that address the “war to end all wars.” […]
Tequila’s been around since at least the 1600s and has been memorialized in song by everyone from Western Swing’s Cliff Bruner to The Champs to Jimmy Buffett to Joe Nichols. Here are 15 other tunes celebrating the beverage. 15. Lorrie Morgan & Sammy Kershaw – “He Drinks Tequila” This Shawn Camp/Michele McCord song from Morgan […]
Mother’s Day is just around the corner, so today we’re saluting our favorite ladies with this 50-song playlist. We’ll be adding new music until Sunday, so let us know: what’s your favorite song about mama?
Soulful Americana singer-songwriter Wendy Colonna’s 2013 album, Nectar, might have slipped under a few radars, but it’s worth seeking out for a few spins. Here’s one of the tracks: Since we’re pretty nosy when it comes to other people’s record collections, we recently caught up with Colonna and asked her what she’s been listening to. […]
These days it seems as though Oklahoma’s chief export is Americana singer-songwriters. Here are a few of our favorite rising stars from the Sooner State. 5. John Moreland If you haven’t heard John Moreland’s name before, you might have heard his music on Sons of Anarchy (with his beard and tattoos, Moreland could easily be […]
Today is Pi Day, and while we’re not that great at math here at E145, we do like made-up nerd holidays that encourage the consumption of the world’s greatest food: pie. It can be sweet, it can be savory, and the presence of fruit can let you pretend that you are eating something healthy, when […]
With its punk influences and generous use of synthesizers, New Wave is pretty far removed from country on the musical spectrum. However, in the past decade or so, several roots artists have been putting out some damn good New Wave covers. Here are six of my favorites; what are yours? Bonus Track: Sturgill Simpson – […]
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …
- Jeremy Dylan: I did a podcast on Joni Mitchell's BLUE album recently and was wondering if there was a good bio of …
- Leeann Ward: Well, that was a mighty unnecessarily flippant comment I just made there and the better angels of my nature make …