Lori McKenna contains multitudes: she’s a proud mother of five children and is fiercely committed to her family and the domestic life they lead in Stoughton, Massachusetts; she’s also one of Nashville’s most sought-after songwriters, whose most recent hits include “I Want Crazy” by Hunter Hayes and “Your Side of the Bed” and “Sober,” both […]
2013 was a busy year for Donna Ulisse; early in the year she released I Am a Child of God, an album of gospel songs, and released Showin’ My Roots later that year. On Roots, Ulisse honors the men and women whose music and writing are so much a part of what has created her. […]
Bryan White is set to relaunch in 2014. After a successful Kickstarter album funding campaign, the native Okie is on the verge of releasing his seventh album called Shine. Its release will be timed with the February television launch of The Private Lives of Nashville Wives, a reality show starring his wife, Erica. After 17 […]
The year 2013 was a busy one for Sarah Darling. Her summertime single, “Little Umbrellas,” picked up strong reviews and reached the Top 20 charts on Sirius XM. She had numerous television appearances and was the first music artist in over 12 years to receive the National Association for Music Education’s “Stand for Music” Award, […]
After a five-year break between albums, songwriter Mando Saenz returned with his third album, Studebaker, in 2013. While one could argue about the length of time between albums, it’s hard to argue with the result. Studebaker is excellent from start to finish, with plenty of highlights along the way. From the opening “Breakaway Speed,” written […]
The corners of Andrew Marlin’s mouth curl into a sly grin and his words slow a beat, as if this secret is being revealed to him as he speaks. “I think I’m becoming more of a settled person — and I’m feeling inspired by that,” Marlin says, sitting in cool sunshine with Mandolin Orange partner […]
Rugged cliffs, rocky coastline and grassy ruins frame a haunting, Celtic-tinged melody and soaring harmonies in a new video by folk revival band SHEL for their song “Lost at Sea,” from 2012’s self-titled debut album. Entirely self-directed, edited and filmed in Northern Ireland near the ruins of the Dunluce Castle and The Giant’s Causeway, familiar to […]
(Yesterday: Part One) Before the public knew Brandy Clark, well before the new release of her first album 12 Songs, she had become an important part of a tight circle of friends and collaborators that includes, among others, singing songwriters Miranda Lambert, Ashley Monroe, Kacey Musgraves, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne and Trevor Rosen. The impact […]
Brandy Clark’s remarkably accessible and strikingly original first album, 12 Stories, set for release October 22, seems certain to be recalled as one of the groundbreaking country music debuts of this era. Even two years ago, before songs she co-wrote such as “Mama’s Broken Heart” (Miranda Lambert), “Better Dig Two” (The Band Perry), “Follow Your […]
Americanagrams are snapshots of emerging artists from Nashville during the Americana Music Festival. The High Watt at Cannery Row in Nashville is dark and empty when the large double doors at the back swing open and an imposing bearded man with long brown hair strides toward me. “Are you Paul?” he asks. “I tried to […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.