Crystal Shawanda has traveled a long way from home, but in her heart, she’s never really left. Born on the Wikwemikong Native Reservation on Canada’s Manitoulin Island in Ontario, Shawanda learned early on that music was almost as integral to her community as food and shelter. Storytelling came easy through song. It told the history […]
A little over ten years ago, Ray Benson took off his mantle as front man for Asleep at the Wheel and put out his first solo album, Beyond Time, a fitting title for a record full of tunes that ranged from jazz and pop to blues and funk; that album allowed Benson a chance to […]
At age 71, Ronnie Milsap has been in the music business for half a century, but he’s not slowing down. On March 18, he’ll release Summer Number 17, a new album for which recorded several songs that he enjoyed as a young man, including “Tears on My Pillow” and “What Becomes of the Broken Hearted.” […]
On her breakout album, 2011’s Indestructible Machine, then 21-year old singer-songwriter Lydia Loveless sounded like a Loretta Lynn-Liz Phair hybrid, thanks to her sharp ear for catchy hooks and no-holds-barred lyrics. Her new record, Somewhere Else – a fantastic release that blends alt-country, rock, and pop – winds down with an unexpected closing track: a delightful […]
If you’re familiar with your American folk songbook (or, if you bought Suzy Bogguss’ 2011 album of the same name), you may be familiar with the song “Sweet Betsy from Pike.” Over the course of a whopping 14 verses, the song, written in the 1850s by John A. Stone, tells the story of two young […]
Back in 1989, Suzy Bogguss reeled off her first hit with Merle Haggard’s “Somewhere Between.” Although the first album on which the song appears is long out of print, she’s continued to perform it these past 25 years, and it’s become a fan favorite. When she was casting about for ideas for her next album, […]
Lori McKenna contains multitudes: she’s a proud mother of five children and is fiercely committed to her family and the domestic life they lead in Stoughton, Massachusetts; she’s also one of Nashville’s most sought-after songwriters, whose most recent hits include “I Want Crazy” by Hunter Hayes and “Your Side of the Bed” and “Sober,” both […]
2013 was a busy year for Donna Ulisse; early in the year she released I Am a Child of God, an album of gospel songs, and released Showin’ My Roots later that year. On Roots, Ulisse honors the men and women whose music and writing are so much a part of what has created her. […]
Bryan White is set to relaunch in 2014. After a successful Kickstarter album funding campaign, the native Okie is on the verge of releasing his seventh album called Shine. Its release will be timed with the February television launch of The Private Lives of Nashville Wives, a reality show starring his wife, Erica. After 17 […]
The year 2013 was a busy one for Sarah Darling. Her summertime single, “Little Umbrellas,” picked up strong reviews and reached the Top 20 charts on Sirius XM. She had numerous television appearances and was the first music artist in over 12 years to receive the National Association for Music Education’s “Stand for Music” Award, […]
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.
- Janice Brooks: Peter Cooper needs an edit. Stringbean did not die in 1964.
- Leeann: I can't contribute to this list, but I did think of Steve Earle and The Wire. It's not my …
- Jeremy Dylan: That was a great episode of Monk. The "Georgia On My Mind" scene is just heartbreaking.
- Juli Thanki: I think I'm the only person in the world who never got into "The Wire." Earle was on "SVU" a …