The year 2013 was a busy one for Sarah Darling. Her summertime single, “Little Umbrellas,” picked up strong reviews and reached the Top 20 charts on Sirius XM. She had numerous television appearances and was the first music artist in over 12 years to receive the National Association for Music Education’s “Stand for Music” Award, […]
After a five-year break between albums, songwriter Mando Saenz returned with his third album, Studebaker, in 2013. While one could argue about the length of time between albums, it’s hard to argue with the result. Studebaker is excellent from start to finish, with plenty of highlights along the way. From the opening “Breakaway Speed,” written […]
The corners of Andrew Marlin’s mouth curl into a sly grin and his words slow a beat, as if this secret is being revealed to him as he speaks. “I think I’m becoming more of a settled person — and I’m feeling inspired by that,” Marlin says, sitting in cool sunshine with Mandolin Orange partner […]
Rugged cliffs, rocky coastline and grassy ruins frame a haunting, Celtic-tinged melody and soaring harmonies in a new video by folk revival band SHEL for their song “Lost at Sea,” from 2012’s self-titled debut album. Entirely self-directed, edited and filmed in Northern Ireland near the ruins of the Dunluce Castle and The Giant’s Causeway, familiar to […]
(Yesterday: Part One) Before the public knew Brandy Clark, well before the new release of her first album 12 Songs, she had become an important part of a tight circle of friends and collaborators that includes, among others, singing songwriters Miranda Lambert, Ashley Monroe, Kacey Musgraves, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne and Trevor Rosen. The impact […]
Brandy Clark’s remarkably accessible and strikingly original first album, 12 Stories, set for release October 22, seems certain to be recalled as one of the groundbreaking country music debuts of this era. Even two years ago, before songs she co-wrote such as “Mama’s Broken Heart” (Miranda Lambert), “Better Dig Two” (The Band Perry), “Follow Your […]
Americanagrams are snapshots of emerging artists from Nashville during the Americana Music Festival. The High Watt at Cannery Row in Nashville is dark and empty when the large double doors at the back swing open and an imposing bearded man with long brown hair strides toward me. “Are you Paul?” he asks. “I tried to […]
Americanagrams are snapshots of emerging artists from Nashville during the Americana Music Festival. The Stray Birds are used to things happening fast. The acoustic Americana trio out of Lancaster County, Penn., formalized as a touring band near the end of 2011 and recorded their self-titled debut in July 2012. Three months later, Jay Moberg at […]
Whenever you round a corner in the bluegrass world, you’re liable run into Chris Jones. Co-writer, with John Pennell of the 2007 IBMA Song of the Year, “Fork in the Road,” columnist for Bluegrass Today, a host on Sirius XM’s Bluegrass Junction, and front man of The Night Drivers, Jones is one of bluegrass’s most […]
Americanagrams are snapshots of emerging artists from Nashville during the Americana Music Festival. When singer-songwriter Lera Lynn asked fans to help fund a new full-length album, she had no idea that one of them would help inspire a new EP as well. Lynn, who was born in Houston, raised in Athens, Georgia, and now based […]
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …