If Gram Parsons and George Jones got together to name an heir to their throne, it would be Jim Lauderdale. There absolutely no question that Lauderdale and Marty Stuart—the other heir to the throne—have done more than any other musicians playing today to fill the shoes of Jones, Buck Owens, and Hank Williams, among others. […]
Kenny and Amanda Smith’s debut release Slowly But Surely in 2001 was meant mainly for family and friends, but bluegrass radio and fans would have none of it. Embracing the couple and their music, fans propelled that first album’s “Amy Brown” to the top of the bluegrass charts. The Kenny and Amanda Smith Band has […]
Under the Influence is a monthly(ish) feature in which artists discuss the writers who have influenced them over the years. Last week we got the chance to ask Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison about the artists who have inspired them. Robison: Willie Nelson was probably the biggest influence all the way around, but as a […]
If you haven’t had the pleasure yet, let me introduce you to Texas country singer’s Jason Eady’s better half, singer-songwriter Courtney Patton. The couple was married in late March of this year after a romance that was spawned by the very music they share as a passion together. Their nuptials came nearly a year after […]
Under the Influence is a new feature in which artists discuss the writers who have influenced them over the years. First up: Rodney Crowell, who lovingly talks about his friend and mentor Guy Clark. The influence Guy’s music has had on me is too deep for a sound bite. For my formative years, when I […]
“I never thought I’d say this, but thank God for morphine,” laughs Radney Foster. In late April, he battled a painful bout of shingles so severe that it forced him to cut his Scotland tour short and cancel what would have been his first appearance at Stagecoach. The illness and show cancellations were a physical […]
The DC metro area boasts a rich bluegrass history thanks to groups like The Country Gentlemen and Johnson Mountain Boys, to name just two. But if the city were to erect a monument saluting local bluegrass, it’d probably depict The Seldom Scene, a band that’s influenced countless musicians in its 40-year history. The band has […]
There are a lot of new things in Suzie Brown’s life: a new city, a new job, a new album and even a new baby girl. The Harvard Medical School graduate and clinical cardiologist moved from Philadelphia to Nashville early this year and began her new role specializing in heart failure at Vanderbilt University Medical […]
Carlene Carter’s new album, Carter Girl, joyously celebrates the beauty, the cantankerousness, the melancholy, and the sheer glad-to-be-alive spirit of the music of the first family of country music to which she is heir. Selecting 10 glittering gems from the wealth of the Carter Family’s deep catalog, she honors the music of her forbearers A.P. […]
Chuck Mead may have spent the past 20 years in Nashville, but he’s still a Kansas boy at heart. His new solo record, Free State Serenade, is a fine tribute to the Kansas that Mead – who grew up in Lawrence, the site of Quantrill’s Raid during the Civil War – remembers, from the grisly murder of […]
- Bobby P.: Thanks for the link to my one hit wonder article!
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …