Nell Robinson’s family has fought in nearly every American conflict from the Revolution to the Iraq War. Working with producer Joe Henry and guests Kris Kristofferson, Ramblin’ Jack Elliott, John Doe, and noted author Maxine Hong Kingston, Robinson tells the story of her family’s service in her new album, Nell Robinson & The Rose of No-Man’s Land, a collection […]
Next week, singer-songwriter Larry Cordle will release All-Star Duets, an album that’s been in the works for a decade. “It was just one thing after another,” he explains. “Trying to get people’s releases and to sign off on this stuff was just a nightmare. [Also], I kind of went broke a time or two and […]
“Most commercial country singers don’t make records like this,” says Lee Ann Womack of her new, stone-cold country album, The Way I’m Livin’ (out September 23), her first solo project since 2008, and, after spending a decade on MCA Nashville, her first release for Sugar Hill Records. Produced by husband Frank Liddell, The Way I’m […]
Mac Wiseman’s new album was more than 80 years in the making. And it’s worth the wait. But it’s not as though the 89-year-old music legend wasn’t doing anything else during those decades: he’s performed everywhere from the Old Dominion Barn Dance to Carnegie Hall, been an executive for Dot Records, helped found the Country […]
If Gram Parsons and George Jones got together to name an heir to their throne, it would be Jim Lauderdale. There absolutely no question that Lauderdale and Marty Stuart—the other heir to the throne—have done more than any other musicians playing today to fill the shoes of Jones, Buck Owens, and Hank Williams, among others. […]
Kenny and Amanda Smith’s debut release Slowly But Surely in 2001 was meant mainly for family and friends, but bluegrass radio and fans would have none of it. Embracing the couple and their music, fans propelled that first album’s “Amy Brown” to the top of the bluegrass charts. The Kenny and Amanda Smith Band has […]
Under the Influence is a monthly(ish) feature in which artists discuss the writers who have influenced them over the years. Last week we got the chance to ask Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison about the artists who have inspired them. Robison: Willie Nelson was probably the biggest influence all the way around, but as a […]
If you haven’t had the pleasure yet, let me introduce you to Texas country singer’s Jason Eady’s better half, singer-songwriter Courtney Patton. The couple was married in late March of this year after a romance that was spawned by the very music they share as a passion together. Their nuptials came nearly a year after […]
Under the Influence is a new feature in which artists discuss the writers who have influenced them over the years. First up: Rodney Crowell, who lovingly talks about his friend and mentor Guy Clark. The influence Guy’s music has had on me is too deep for a sound bite. For my formative years, when I […]
“I never thought I’d say this, but thank God for morphine,” laughs Radney Foster. In late April, he battled a painful bout of shingles so severe that it forced him to cut his Scotland tour short and cancel what would have been his first appearance at Stagecoach. The illness and show cancellations were a physical […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.