The corners of Andrew Marlin’s mouth curl into a sly grin and his words slow a beat, as if this secret is being revealed to him as he speaks. “I think I’m becoming more of a settled person — and I’m feeling inspired by that,” Marlin says, sitting in cool sunshine with Mandolin Orange partner […]
Rugged cliffs, rocky coastline and grassy ruins frame a haunting, Celtic-tinged melody and soaring harmonies in a new video by folk revival band SHEL for their song “Lost at Sea,” from 2012’s self-titled debut album. Entirely self-directed, edited and filmed in Northern Ireland near the ruins of the Dunluce Castle and The Giant’s Causeway, familiar to […]
(Yesterday: Part One) Before the public knew Brandy Clark, well before the new release of her first album 12 Songs, she had become an important part of a tight circle of friends and collaborators that includes, among others, singing songwriters Miranda Lambert, Ashley Monroe, Kacey Musgraves, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne and Trevor Rosen. The impact […]
Brandy Clark’s remarkably accessible and strikingly original first album, 12 Stories, set for release October 22, seems certain to be recalled as one of the groundbreaking country music debuts of this era. Even two years ago, before songs she co-wrote such as “Mama’s Broken Heart” (Miranda Lambert), “Better Dig Two” (The Band Perry), “Follow Your […]
Americanagrams are snapshots of emerging artists from Nashville during the Americana Music Festival. The High Watt at Cannery Row in Nashville is dark and empty when the large double doors at the back swing open and an imposing bearded man with long brown hair strides toward me. “Are you Paul?” he asks. “I tried to […]
Americanagrams are snapshots of emerging artists from Nashville during the Americana Music Festival. The Stray Birds are used to things happening fast. The acoustic Americana trio out of Lancaster County, Penn., formalized as a touring band near the end of 2011 and recorded their self-titled debut in July 2012. Three months later, Jay Moberg at […]
Whenever you round a corner in the bluegrass world, you’re liable run into Chris Jones. Co-writer, with John Pennell of the 2007 IBMA Song of the Year, “Fork in the Road,” columnist for Bluegrass Today, a host on Sirius XM’s Bluegrass Junction, and front man of The Night Drivers, Jones is one of bluegrass’s most […]
Americanagrams are snapshots of emerging artists from Nashville during the Americana Music Festival. When singer-songwriter Lera Lynn asked fans to help fund a new full-length album, she had no idea that one of them would help inspire a new EP as well. Lynn, who was born in Houston, raised in Athens, Georgia, and now based […]
Americanagrams are snapshots of emerging artists from Nashville during the Americana Music Festival. Joy Kills Sorrow, a five-piece band out of Boston, is elevating the art of making tradition sound nontraditional. They are a string band with an indie rock intensity, mixing jazz, pop and roots influences into something uniquely their own. The latest example […]
Americanagrams: snapshots of emerging artists taken during the Americana Music Festival in Nashville. Nicki Bluhm did not plan any of this. Not the viral explosion of her “Van Session” videos. Not The Gap ad campaign. Not even the music career. The San Francisco-based singer, songwriter and front woman for The Gramblers thought she would be […]
- Leeann Ward: I'll just go ahead and say it. I was impressed with how well Carrie did with the singing. I'm a …
- TexasVet: From MusicRow: Underwood’s ‘The Sound of Music Live!’ Brings In 19.3 Million Viewers earned NBC its biggest audience on the night …
- nm: I'd love to see a version of TSoM that managed to sneak in a new number or two based on …
- Barry Mazor: That any version of "Sound of Music" would be "trying to replace the cats of the movie" is an hysterically …
- TexasVet: The Von Trapps had some stinging comments concerning Underwood’s “Spound of Music” part. I think they pose some legitimate …
- tncheesehead: reading the story behind the Paisley/Underwood lawsuit I would guess that yes the idea was stolen - too many coincidences …
- BRUCE: Interesting lawsuit against Paisley & Underwood plus Sony. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Von Trapps …
- Country fan: Hunter is very good, I wish he would do some traditional country music.
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!
- Country fan: Merle is one of the greatest talents in music.