Anyone interested in the breadth of the country music tradition can these days get their hands on more of that history than ever before. Much of the genre’s back catalogue, whether of the absolutely essential or the just fun or revealing variety, is increasingly available on compact discs (well, for the time being it is…) […]
One of my favorite reissues so far this year is Where’s Your Love Been, an album by Sandra Rhodes that the Fantasy label put out in 1972, that had basically been out of print ever since, and that Omnivore Recordings rereleased in March. I suspect most people, even serious music fans, have never heard of […]
Merle Haggard marked a birthday Sunday, his 77th. He celebrated the occasion with an appearance on CBS’s Academy of Country Music awards show, where George Strait and Miranda Lambert performed a medley of his hits and where Haggard was presented with something called the Crystal Milestone Award by Garth Brooks, one of its former honorees. […]
When Loretta Lynn cut the records that transformed her into a first-rank country star, she was still touring as the featured “girl singer” for brother team Teddy and Doyle Wilburn. By late 1966, though, her back-to-back grown-woman hits “You Ain’t Woman Enough” and “Don’t Come Home a-Drinkin’ (with Lovin’ on Your Mind)” put her in […]
The idea for “Here You Come Again” came to me late last year as I was completing my ballot for the Nashville Scene’s annual Country Music Critics Poll. One of the categories that poll runner Geoffrey Himes always asks for is the year’s “Top Five Country Reissues,” and as I pulled together my picks, it […]
- Elizabeth Linder: I love sitting by a bond fire with my husband making s'mores and drinking hot chocolate.
- Jeremy Dylan: One might say that a good way to pay tribute to RCA Studio a would be to not demolish it …
- willard willams: Oct. 10, as that is our wedding anniversary. Will be 50 years and I still remember.
- Both Kinds of Music: What an excellent team-up.
- Pam Wallace: A day like yesterday,...driving through Ohio countryside with leaves beginning to turn and cows lying in the pastures because every …
- Jackie Lester: My favorite part of autumn is seeing wooly bear caterpillars!
- Mike harris: Love fall with the warm glow of the sun and all the beautiful fall colors
- Richrd Simerson: Love good old bluegrass music
- Six String Richie: Studio A will be replaced with a dog park, condos and restaurants. Gentrification at it's finest.
- Denise Vernon: Full moon with smell of leaves burning.