Anyone interested in the breadth of the country music tradition can these days get their hands on more of that history than ever before. Much of the genre’s back catalogue, whether of the absolutely essential or the just fun or revealing variety, is increasingly available on compact discs (well, for the time being it is…) […]
One of my favorite reissues so far this year is Where’s Your Love Been, an album by Sandra Rhodes that the Fantasy label put out in 1972, that had basically been out of print ever since, and that Omnivore Recordings rereleased in March. I suspect most people, even serious music fans, have never heard of […]
Merle Haggard marked a birthday Sunday, his 77th. He celebrated the occasion with an appearance on CBS’s Academy of Country Music awards show, where George Strait and Miranda Lambert performed a medley of his hits and where Haggard was presented with something called the Crystal Milestone Award by Garth Brooks, one of its former honorees. […]
When Loretta Lynn cut the records that transformed her into a first-rank country star, she was still touring as the featured “girl singer” for brother team Teddy and Doyle Wilburn. By late 1966, though, her back-to-back grown-woman hits “You Ain’t Woman Enough” and “Don’t Come Home a-Drinkin’ (with Lovin’ on Your Mind)” put her in […]
The idea for “Here You Come Again” came to me late last year as I was completing my ballot for the Nashville Scene’s annual Country Music Critics Poll. One of the categories that poll runner Geoffrey Himes always asks for is the year’s “Top Five Country Reissues,” and as I pulled together my picks, it […]
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …
- Barry Mazor: I know for a fact that most of the album was recorded fresh and new with Garth Fundis some months …
- luckyoldsun: Michael, From the way it's being promoted, with Yearwood announcing a new label and a new album and with The Tennessean …
- Linda Salmons: Whoaa!!!! Makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Beautiful tone and nuance - unmistakably Auldridge.
- Michael A.: Billboard also posted a pretty good piece on the new Trisha Yearwood album yesterday. Unfortunately, it sounds like only …
- Kathy Gaddis: Very very nice!
- bob: Good day with news of PrizeFighter Trisha and Drunken Martina.
- John Fuller: Oh yeah!! Crispy sweet!
- Rick Mifflin: Sublime