For one four-day period in September, Nashville sheds its commercial country image and Americana Fest banners dot the lamp posts along Music Row. During that time, the words, sounds and melodies take the place of image, dollar signs and auto tune–and Nashville becomes the envy–not the perceived antithesis–of the roots music world. Over the next […]
Eights Years After Forming, Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives Play First Full-Show In Nashville
Photo by James Minchin It’s hard to imagine that last night was the first time Marty Stuart and the Fabulous Superlatives performed a full show on a Nashville stage. After all, Stuart is one of those omniscient Nashville figures who could/will pop up anywhere in town. He hosts his own show on RFD-TV and frequents […]
It’s not often the venue for any concert is as much a part of the discussion as the performance, but for the Wynonna Judd show during the Lake Tahoe Music Festival at Northstar at Tahoe this past Saturday, that was definitely the case. Quite the unique experience awaits attendees as they pull into Northstar at […]
Saturday in Atlanta was a balmy 97 degrees, with about 100 percent humidity. Inside of Eddie’s Attic, however, it was at least a degree or two cooler, providing a minuscule amount of relief to the musicians who stepped under the stage lights that night. Miraculously, nobody passed out from the heat, though brows were mopped […]
As the torch bearer of Western swing for multiple generations now, I’m sure Ray Benson had numerous motivations for creating a musical about Bob Wills. As artists get older, it’s only natural for them to want to open up new mediums of expression. A Ride With Bob allows Benson to do that very thing while […]
I’m not the type of person who travels 2700 miles for a concert. The best part about living in DC is that nearly all genres of music can be found just a short walk or Metro ride away. But on Monday, I found myself flying cross-country to Sacramento for the third annual Golf & Guitars […]
Country music was alive and well at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville last night as Hank Williams Jr. rolled into town with his Rowdy “Friendz”—Jamey Johnson, Eric Church, and The Grascals. Bocephus—who’s 58 now—does only about 20 shows per year and isn’t shy about the fact that he plays where he wants and with whom […]
Country music has long been about establishing (and often fabricating) authenticity. Regardless of a singer’s actual background, upbringing, and lifestyle, there’s always been a sense of having to prove one’s country cred. As of late, this trend has led to a slew of backwoods-boasting singles that feature tired stereotypes and worn-out characters. That being said, […]
Turn on the radio at any time in the past half-decade and chances are that a song written by Kelley Lovelace, Rivers Rutherford, or Dave Berg will be on. Those three writers have more hits to their credit than some baseball players. Last night at the Hard Rock Café, each songwriter showcased their individual talents—which […]
When the Tin Pan South schedule rolled out earlier this month, a few people had to have been scratching their heads over the round including Trace Adkins, Jeff Bates, Kenny Beard, and Sherrie Austin at 3rd and Lindsley. For one, you have a consistent hit-maker but non existent hit-writer in Adkins. Then, you have two […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.